KEF LS50W Firmware update

Same things to me. Thank’s.

When I update, the tool says: Error 201 Poor Wifi Connection
Does somebody know a solution?

Can you move them closer to the router or access point? Not sure but would ethernet connection help?

I have downloaded the update tool. However, my problem is that I use the speakers in my holiday home where I have a LAN but there is no internet connection. Is there a way around the need for an internet connection during the update?

The actual firmware is not contained in the update tool - thus why prior links/versions work. The firmware is pulled from Kef by the update tool. So you need to be connected to the internet. And judging by others’ issues above, it looks like being plugged in with ethernet directly is the safest way to go.

Use your phone

I just downloaded the mac update tool again and it has actually been updated from V1.0 to V1.3. Wonder what is in the tool itself that has changed … hopefully it’s more robust now.

That’s what I assumed; I was wondering if there is a way around this for downloading and installing the actual update file.

Yikes!! I think I just bricked my speakers doing the update.

1 Like

Oh! Thats a bummer. There must be a way around that? Tried to reset the speakers with the reset button on the back of the right speaker?

Okay, good news. I didn’t brick the speakers. Somehow the updater gave the indication that it was done before it was actually done so I removed the USB cable from the laptop and it wasn’t really done yet. I plugged the laptop back in and reran the updater and it finished the update and all is well now. By the way, I called KEF during this time and they got back to me very quickly but after I had worked it out so I can’t say enough good things about Mike at KEF. He was very concerned and very helpful.

1 Like

i seem to have bricked mine. source select and minus indicators are both flashing (alternating), as is the reset indicator on the back. any thoughts? i’m not sure how to reset the speakers (i don’t see instructions in the manual.

Same thing as me. The updater did not finish. Plug the usb cables back in and run the updater again. This should finish the update and all should be good. One question: is this a Mac?

1 Like

thanks- yes, a mac.

i tried running updater again, but the app doesn’t see the speakers.

Sorry don’t know what to tell you. My app saw the speakers when I reran the updater and it worked. Mike from KEF told me that there was a way to factory reset the speakers but he did not tell me how to do it. Are you in the US? You should call him.

1 Like

see FAQ, A.5

That won’t do it. I tried that. There is a true factory refresh that takes many more steps then pressing the reset button with a paperclip but I don’t know it. I called Mike at KEF and told him about the problem that woodford was having since there seems to be something wrong with the Mac update tool. It just came out today so perhaps there is a bug in the update tool that they did not see in their testing. Mike told me he would contact woodford and try to help him.

1 Like

i spoke to Mike. went through the lengthy reset process a few times. net/net, the speakers are being replaced.

wow sorry to hear that. brutal.

Very disappointing.