KEF LS60 - sub pairings

Awaiting delivery early next week of my new LS60s. I currently have an SVS SB-3000 sub powering my LS50iis, and since I’m upgrading speakers, wondering if anyone can speak to whether the new SVS SB3000 Micro has any advantages (other than smaller footprint) over the SB-3000 I currently have. Not interested in the KC62 - I had one of the first ones off the line and found it very underwhelming as well as finicky (as well documented).

Is the upgrade to the Micro even worth thinking about?

I looked into these two sub extensively for my KEF LS50W and ultimately decided the SB3000 would be the better choice due to the reviews (written and videos) and the data (graphs). The micro drops off below 35ish Hz. I also listened to them when I could at various events.

Ultimately it is up to your preferences but, since you already have the SB3000 I think I would wait and listen to it with the LS60s and decide. I think you wont be dissapointed.

I don’t believe the SB3000 micro would be an upgrade in the sound, YMMV and IMHO and all that.

2 Likes

Makes a lot of sense. Thx!

1 Like

I’ll second this. Micro is a great sub if you are limited on space, but it will not really go as low, cleanly, as SB-3000. Unless the current sub is problematic due to larger size, I’d keep it, Micro will not be an upgrade (and I have and quite like one, for its intended purpose).

2 Likes

I was just thinking that if you had the itch to upgrade, maybe get a second SB3000?
I have read and heard a lot of good things about running two subs at different key locations in the room.

I had that thought, too, but I feel fully satisfied with my current SB3000 and I’m not sure I’d be anything but “over-bassed” with two - I feel like I’d scale down their performance and wouldn’t get the benefit others appear to get with two - am I thinking of this incorrectly?

1 Like

I agree with the 2 sub scenario. I diffidently notice a difference in my setup.

Taken from SVS’s website.

=========================

With properly located dual subwoofers, the respective modal patterns will overlap, which greatly increases the sound wave density in the room. The result is a smoother frequency response at more listening positions in the room, with less potential for obvious peaks/nulls in the frequency response. Everyone gets the same room-energizing, heart-pounding listening experience no matter where they’re seated. This also makes it easier for auto-set-up programs like Audyssey MultEQ to equalize the subwoofer channel.

Stereo Bass for Dedicated 2-Channel Systems

Discerning audiophiles and 2-channel purists know that directional bass cues are important to imaging and preserving the solidity of the soundstage. Using dual subwoofers in a dedicated 2-channel system will preserve stereo bass cues, and prevent the soundstage from collapsing, particularly when small bookshelf monitors with limited bass extension are being used. This makes for a more realistic and convincing audio experiences where you can pinpoint sounds in space and believe you are on stage or in the studio with an artist.

When properly set-up, bass from a subwoofer should sound like it is coming from each individual speaker and not from a specific location. In comparison, dual subwoofers are nearly impossible to localize. Once listeners experience this immersive bass which seems to emanate from everywhere in the room, they never want to go back to a single subwoofer set-up.

=========================

–MD

1 Like

OK - I think I get it, and everything I’m reading suggests two subs make a better, not just (or even) bassier experience.

But if I’m strapped for space, would it be better to get 2 SB-3000 Micros than trying to cram in another full-sized SB-3000?

Overall the music will be delivered into a sufficiently big space, but along the area where my components are, it’d be a little crammed with two big-boy subs.

The Micros were developed for this purpose. For small areas. Depending on your layout, dual subs will require you to analize where the best placement will be.

You might even try several locations till you get it correct. As you already know SVS has a App for tweaking and zeroing in on the sub settings because each enviroment is different.

I’m curious about the Micros. Glad they placed them in the 3000 lineup. The 3000 is a awesome sub.

–MD

Thanks.

Interestingly, I was texting with SVS, and they their guy thought (a) two Micros would have less presence than my current single SB-3000, and (b) unless I felt something missing, one would probably be fine. I was just so struck by the anti-sale advice!

He suggested I drag up my second SB3000 from my home theater and see if I think there’s a difference worth having.

If I do feel the difference, I might be inclined to go with two Micros just for space considerations.

Thanks so much for all the input.

1 Like

They should know. He is probally aware of your square footage. I was just going by small

Did he confirm 2 would be better?

–MD

He said that if I wanted two, that two SB-2000 Pros would provide more than more single SB-3000. He said that 2 Micros would provide less volume than my current single SB-3000.

He didn’t know my room size (about 18x15) but said that if I had one listening position (I do) and was happy with current performance, he didn’t think an additional one was necessarily needed.

1 Like

The New 2000 Pros now have the App included which makes a hugh difference for the 2000 lineup.

–MD

1 Like

Fwiw.

SB 3000

• Dimensions (w/ grille): 15.6” (397mm) H X 15.2” (385mm) W X 17.8” (451mm) D
  • Dimensions (without grille): 15.6” (397mm) H X 15.2” (385mm) W X 15.7” (399mm) D

SB 2000

• Dimensions (w/ grille): 14.6” (372mm) H X 14.2” (360mm) W X 15.6” (395mm) D
  • Dimensions (without grille): 14.6” (372mm) H X 14.2” (360mm) W X 14.6” (371mm) D

There is not much difference.

–MD

I’ve ordered a pair of SB3000 Micros, arriving tomorrow. I decided that I don’t push the envelope on my full-size SB3000 and that 2 Micros will more than suffice.

I pulled my full-sized SB3000 from my home theater and tried out 2 subs and loved the resulting sound, so now I’m going to use the 2 Micros for music in my living room and bring the 2d full-size SB3000 (previously used for music) and have 2 full-sized subs for my home theater.

Thanks for the advice and reactions - very helpful.

And…BTW…the LS60s are absolutely wonderful. Clear, wide soundstage, incredible detail, effortless drive, perfect for vocals, and an amazing “one-source” presentation. Just a couple of hours of playing with them but was able to compare side-by-side with my current LS50ii pair. The 50s are still terrific but it’s really not a close call.

1 Like

Getting 2 bangs for the buck. Your music room and now 2 subs for your Home Theater.

That 2nd sub for the theater room will be more pronounced for movies. :+1:

Curious about those Micros though. Never heard them. The reviews are very favorable about them.

–MD

So, it’s been an interesting experience with the Micros. It’s always been reassuring to put my hand up against the front of the SB3000 and see and feel that vibration. Here, you can hardly detect any vibration at all. I thought maybe my settings were off, but SVS assures me that these subs are the most “inert” they’ve ever made, and that this is absolutely to be expected.

When I stop double-checking that the subs are active, and actually listen, it’s a beautiful sound the Micros produce. Even if you can’t feel the oomph when your hands are on the subs, you can feel it in the room. They’re not as overpowering as the SB3000s can be, but they’re more than enough. And when I put on something that’s really bass-driven (“I Feel it Coming,” by The Weeknd, for example), I quickly have to dial them back!

I still have to play with the crossovers and gain, but the Micros are doing the job. And, it was just not an aesthetic choice to have two of those bid SB3000 suckers crowd my living room.

1 Like

I’m interested in this thread as I have a pair of LS50 wireless which are great but they struggle somewhat at higher volumes so I’ve been vaguely thinking about adding a sub or possibly chopping them in for something bigger. But I was surprised to read about Stuart’s dismissal of the KC62; I’d probably have been looking at the 62 or possibly the larger 92 but your thoughts & the subsequent advice / findings has been interesting.

Very smart room too; very tasteful. The 60s sound impressive & that’s another option, albeit a pricier one…

1 Like

Thanks! I wouldn’t put too much reliance on my KC62 impressions. My experience was I simply couldn’t get the muscular response I wanted but clearly many others succeeded. I was also frustrated with the KC62 being slow to come back to life (some EU power regulation) but again, I don’t think my experience was universal at all.

I can say that the Micros are giving me that muscle and they recede into the background (from a decor standpoint). SVS support has also been fantastic in helping me optimize the settings).

And glad you like the room!

Thanks for your thoughts again. Although you were looking to match a sub(s) to the LS60s the info is almost certainly relevant to my search for my 50s. My one fear is that I’m not very good at setting stuff up but I think both SVS & Kef have decent apps & the support you’ve had from SVS is very encouraging.

1 Like