KEF LSX drops, disappears; comes back with Core restart

Hello Noris,

I just bought the LSX and have the issue described in this topic. Are you stil investigating with KEF?

Best regards,
Peter

Hi!
I have the same issue.
The LSX just disappear after Ā« some time Ā» (> 20mn) ā€¦ There are still visible from the app on my iOS devices.
The lsx are connected using ethernet, the roon core, a mac, also.

Thanks.

I have the same problem with KEF LSX speakers. Sometimes they wonā€™t appear at all in Roon, until I open the KEF stream app. Seems to me that itā€™s a KEF problem and not Roon.

I first tried them via wi-fi and it was horrible, then went via ethernet and they are good for maybe a day of listening. The sounds then gets crackly and I have to toggle the power, annoying, latest firmware, gather I need to open a support ticket with KEF

I have this problem too. I can now only connect through Airplay, which is obviously not the highest quality experience I have had for the last year of owning these speakers. Are there any fixes?

Iā€™m afraid not, I canceled Roon untill there is a fix.

Hi all ! Same problem for me. KEF LSX randomly disappear. And sometimes reappear some days later. AirPlay mode looks more reliable but lacks sound quality.

No more investigations on this issue out there?

Itā€™s not only the KEF LSX, also the KEF LS 50 wireless I (Roon Tested, via Kef Streaming < says Roon Core) which are directly wired connected in our network has the same issue. The speakers can still be played with other software over the network, also when they disappear in Roon. If I look at the timing of the issue, it seems to happen after roughly 30 minutes.

I donā€™t need to restart the speakers with other software and before they were perfectly playable via Roon without any issue. Only in some of the later Roon Core updates they have this droppping/disappearing issue. A restart of the Roon Core solves the issue, but I should not have to do that. Certainly not with this premium priced and developed piece of software of Roon!

So, to me the bug is certainly in the Roon software, @noris
Please can you guys fix this as it is really decreasing the Roon experience.

1 Like

Not yet solved in version 1.8 build 880 :cry:

1 Like

Running Roon Core on a NUC10 connected by ethernet to my Synology WiFi Router which is also wired ethernet to my KEF LSX Master.

Same issue. Roon can see the LSX speakers as Roon Tested KEF Streaming devices with the LSX speaker icon showingā€¦ sometimesā€¦ Most of the time though Roon only sees them as available via AirPlay. Itā€™s irritating, but itā€™s not the end of the world.

I have the same issue - I think they get lost every 30 mins or so too - I empty image cache in settings/setup and they almost always re-appear quickly

it is the ā€˜end of the worldā€™ from a Roon perspective. the whole point is getting fresh 3d audio - and the airplay system is very far from that. the sq contrast is very significant indeed. with the ā€˜Roon Testedā€™ ā€˜KEF streamingā€™ connection the sound is wonderful - worth the price of admission, and capable of getting the best from these wonderful speakers. When that gets dropped and AirPlay is used instead it sounds like a blanket has been thrown over the speakers.

I thought iā€™d solved it by logging into my router and assigning a fixed ip address to the LSXā€™s - but this did not solve the problem.

Are people clear that the problem is with the Roon - KEF integration software?

Correct. Iā€™ve had to work around Roon for serious sofa listening by relying on Apple Lossless over Toslink into the back of the LSX Master and not network streamed Roon material. Iā€™ll still use AirPlay to stream Roon content to them when Iā€™m not seated in the sweet spot, but as you say the quality is just not the same.

Anyway the advertised compatibility is just not there. 95% of the time. And that is not good.

1 Like

Is there any update on this? I am experiencing the same issue with my LSX. They are connected to wifi and every now and then (like 50% of the time) start dropping. There are no obvious issues with wifi and during the exact same sessions I get no dropping at all if I use them with AirPlay. This is true even for 44/16-bit content which should take the same bandwidth: airplay plays them fine, Roon endpoint drops every 10 second.

I may have started this thread, or back near the beginning. But. Iā€™m not having issues with my LSX dropping much anymore. A couple observations. First, I never had them drop off when playing, just that sometimes Iā€™d want to play and they werenā€™t visible to Roon, and I had to use Airplay for awhile (until Roon found them again for non-Airplay) or reboot both Roon and the speakers. Hell of it is, Airplay NEVER loses connection. Humph.

If youā€™re having problems, are you on a mesh network? Iā€™m using a mesh network (Orbi), and Roon isnā€™t fond of mesh networks. Itā€™ll occasionally lose track of Roon Ready devices. Iā€™ve got several friends whoā€™ve not had LSX drop issues ever, and none of them are using a mesh network, so maybe thereā€™s something to that. I did a couple things that I think reduced the drop rate.

First, I did a dedicated IP address in the Orbi setup for the LSX and for the Roon server. I made sure that they were connected to the 5ghz network (Orbi doesnā€™t let you segment their networks, not until the latest version) and then assigned a dedicated IP address. Reliability went way, way up. Roon only lost awareness of the speakers after a power outage, or a Roon upgrade.

Second, I recently upgraded my Orbi mesh, and it allows segmentation of the networks. I now have a streaming media only 5ghz dedicated network. I canā€™t remember the last time I lost connection to the LSX since the upgrade. To Roon and the speakers, it doesnā€™t look like a mesh network, which is why I wonder if mesh tech is part of the problem.

Whatā€™s truly frustrating about this is that Iā€™ve got a set of LS50 wireless that are from the same year roughly as my LSX. The LS50s never drop. Roon never forgets where they are. Why thereā€™s a problem with the LSX but not the LS50sā€¦ Iā€™ll never know, but someone at KEF should.

1 Like

Firmware for the LSX has been updated to version 5.2ā€¦
Maybe someone wants to try it. The update went smoothly. Otherwise I canā€™t say much - it seems to me that the sub is switched on more reliable. Have fun.

2 Likes

hi there - do you have a link to the firmware update? i canā€™t find it

and why is the support team being so poor? I get a chatty email once every two months apologising for their lack of support!

I did the update via the KEF Control App and donā€™t have a download link.