Kef LSX II how are they with Roon?

Thank you all for your opinions. I end up getting the Kef LSX 2 and using them occasionally as a tv speakers but mostly for music only.
They do sound great, but only problem I have I can’t connect them with Ethernet cable to my network. They only work with WiFi which sometimes is dropping. Anyone have idea ?
Also connected the JL Audio D108 subwoofer, but not sure how to properly set the sub.

I’ve found that they tend to connect to 2.4G even if a robust 5G connection is available.
2.4G can cause dropouts.
What I do is temporarily disable the 2.4G band on my router and restart the LSX II.
They will then connect to 5G and I re-enable 2.4G on the router.
After this they tend to to stay on 5G but I can repeat the process if necessary.

Does your router happen to allow you to name your 5GHz and 2.4GHz networks differently? Or to create additional WiFi SSIDs? I’ve used strategies like this in the past to, for example, force a device onto one or the other. UniFi is very capable for stuff like this.

It does. And this is a good point.
I’ve done this before and also set up the guest network for 5G only with a unique SSID specifically for the KEFs and one other audio endpoint.
OP could try this as well.

For me, having a single SSID works better overall as I sometimes need the extra reach of 2.4G and the KEFs tend to stay on 5G once I’ve forced them there.

But why the can’t connect via Ethernet cable ?

I misunderstood.
I thought you meant it was not practical to use ethernet.
I’ve never used ethernet with mine.
I will try later and let you know if it works or not.

Yeah, I prefer everything to be Ethernet. Everything is working perfectly on the wire (many things), but Kef speakers is the first one to not working.
Thank you.

Mine didn’t work on ethernet either - At first.
I plugged in the ethernet cable and the music stopped.
Roon could no longer see them and the KEF app showed they were not connected.
After about 5 minutes they appeared in Roon again and are working via ethernet.

This is unusual as when I plug the ethernet cable into my Chord 2Go the transition from wifi to ethernet is seamless.

Have you tried restarting your router after connecting via ethernet?

I just did connect the wire and speakers disappeared from network.
Restarted the entire network, and still no Kef speakers on the list on the Kef app.
I have many things connected via Ethernet, and same the transition from WiFi to cable is seamless on all the devices.

Have you tried unplugging the KEFs?
The networking in these isn’t great.
Mine will occasionally drop off the network in wifi and restarting them brings them back.
Although once or twice I had to do a factory reset.

Yes I did that, and still the same.
As soon as I disconnected the Ethernet, they came back via WiFi right away.
I will try to do factory reset, and start from the beginning.
Wery weird.

1 Like

I’ve connected mine via ethernet before I even turned them on for the first time and they immediately worked.

2 Likes

I also did that, but it didn’t work. I lefted for a long time, and couldn’t find the speakers. Then I unplugged the Ethernet, and WiFi worked immediately.

Did you try to connect a different device to the same ethernet connector, just to check the connection is OK?

1 Like

And - please excuse the very stupid question - did you use the correct RJ45 connector on the speaker, i.e. the yellow one?

1 Like

Yes I tried 3 different devices and works perfectly. And I did used the proper RJ port.
Will try to factory reset and start over.

does anyone know if the P1 desk stand they are selling now for the LSX II is the same as (or fits) the original LSX?

According to KEF they are only compatible with LSX II and LSX II LT.

I have just set up my LSX II’s with my newly arrived KC62 and I am currently listening The Wailers playing Kinky Reggae; I have never heard it sound so good! I am blown away!

3 Likes

would love to add kc62 but man it’s expensive!!