Kef LSX, no audio until restart Rock

Hi Noris, sure here is a fresh zip file:

Hi @bitonio,

Thanks for sending those new logs over. I had a meeting with the technical team today where I discussed your case and the remarks are as follows:

1. It looks like there are quite a few networking-related traces present in your logs. It appears that even Airplay is having difficulties managing a stable connection, the LSX disappears but then recovers on Airplay, but the same behavior does not occur with RAAT (when it drops, it does not recover as it should).

2. The Core is having trouble maintaining a connection to localhost as well, as in itā€™s own local zones. The local zones shouldnā€™t be experiencing such difficulties, but if the network is blocking ROCK from performing this function it could be a reason why this issue is occurring.

3. Your ROCK is still having issue communicating with our diagnostics servers and diagnostics reports are not being properly delivered.

I mention these remarks because this seems more and more like a networking related issue.

I looked up this switch, but I could not find any info on it, the only listing I found was for a Linksys LRT214 which appears to be a VPN router. VPNs can sometimes cause strange behavior in Roon, can you confirm that you have a Linksys LRT214 in your setup?

If so, I would suggest to temporarily replace this router with a consumer-grade router (Asus/TP-Link or Netgear) and an unmanaged switch and verify if these issues persists.

Hi @noris

Thanks a lot for the perseverance, very appreciated.

1. I really wonder where these difficulties could come coming from, I can pull 800 Mbits/s using iperf3 TCP between the 2 network sockets. Agreed I havenā€™t run iPerf for more than 15 minutes

2. Thatā€™s odd, usually when something like this happens on a system, it means it is in a bad shape, but you know better what ROCK is suppose to do :slight_smile:

3. Thatā€™s even more odd, the home is connected with a 400 Mbps symetric FTTH, most of the big website are 5 ms away, see https://www.speedtest.net/result/8743426191 - I pull this perf from a MacBook Pro 2017 in Wifi.

The router indeed has some VPN capabilities, I donā€™t use VPN, I use it as a normal Gigabit switch/router. I picked this router for its excellent performance.

I moved the Rock to a spare Apple AirPort Extreme sw/router and plugged the LSX into the same router. They are 10 inches apart. I unplugged the Rock/NUC so it has booted and LSX now works with RAAT.

Weā€™ll have to wait a few days to see if that changes anything.
Do you think the ROCK stack could also be a bad state? I may reinstall this machine completely, eventually trade ROCK for a very lightweight Linux distro so I can use SSH and have more control over the troubleshooting.

Hi @noris,

Today it has been 8d I moved the ROCK NUC into the same switch/router as the LSX, an Apple Extreme router. LSX zone is LSX Den v2

Status before the restart:
36%20PM

Here is the timeline of events. Times are Pacific (US West)

• 3:30pm try to play a track from my iPhone, no effect (when it works it starts after just few secs)
  • 3:35pm try to play a different album from Roon on my Mac, no effect, the LSX status donā€™t change and stay in sleep mode, same error message as before came up after 30-60s (didnā€™t time it)
  • 3:37pm I restart the Roon service on the ROCK
  • 3:38pm I try to play the same track on the Mac, the LSX wake up and play, total time below 5 seconds

This morning I used the LSX to watch some video with my Mac, using AirPlay, which had no issue.

I fetch the logs on the ROCK and shared below:

Hi @bitonio,

Thank you for sending those updated logs. I am looking through them and I see that when Roon tries to start playback on your KEF speakers (before the reboot), the start request is timing out.

I will further discuss this trace with the technical team to see if they can provide more context for this trace. I will let you know once I have had a chance to discuss this with them, thanks!

Hi @bitonio,

I spoke to our senior technical team today regarding your case. They have suggested that we preform the following test to help clarify the exact error state.

Instead of rebooting your RoonServer when this issue occurs, can you try disconnecting the Ethernet cable from your ROCK, wait 5 min and plug it back in? If you perform this, do the KEFs work as expected again?

Also just curious - we recently released Roon 1.7, is the behavior the same on the new build?

Thanks @noris

I have upgraded to Roon 1.7 and consequently restart the Server, Iā€™ll give it 8 days and use the Ethernet cable way next time. So far the new release is snappier, you did a great engineering job behind the scene!

1 Like

The version 1.7 build 505 reset the uptime last week.

Today I feel really optimistic: I am listening currently on the LSX and Roon Server is reporting Running 6 days, 8 hours, 14 minutes, 35 seconds

The shorter buffer time are really a great improvement, we (audiophile/geek/audio passionate) tend to value the bells and whistles nowadays, this is spot on.

I keep my fingers crossed!

1 Like

Hello @bitonio,

Glad to hear youā€™re seeing improvements, keep us in the loop!

-John

Roon team, I am glad to report everything is working flawlessly with 1.7 with 13 days of uptime, and counting. I believe the work on the network buffering/fast start positively the issue I was hitting.

Thank you for the support on this near 6 months thread!
I am now closing the thread!

1 Like

Hello @bitonio,

Happy to hear that the issue has been resolved since those changes went into effect! I appreciate the patience you have had during this investigation and if thereā€™s any further issues, just let us know and weā€™d be happy to take a look. Until next time, take care!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.