KEF LSX - No sound but shows as playing [Solved - Firewall]

I am having the exact issue with my LSX.
Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Intel I3 desktop - Roon build 1.6 - 64bit
Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Chrome mesh wifi LSX is wired to chrome hub.
Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
KEF LSX - Ethernet connection.
Description Of Issue
KEF shows in roon as an endpoint, KEF turns on and appears to be playing on ROON, and ethernet activity shows on back of KEF. No audio. All other end points that I have tried are working. KEF speaker works with all other inputs including Spotify through ethernet.

Hi @birban59,

I have split your post here as to better assist you. Can you please let me know if you are using the newest firmware version on your KEFs? You can use the KEF control app to double check this. Also, does the LSX airplay input work via Roon?

Thank you for your response. Yes my firmware is current. Neither the main endpoint, nor LSX airplay work from roon. They both work from other sources. I’m not certain what to try to make it work. Maybe tonight I’ll try to feed some other source from my desktop. Has worked in the past but possibly I’ve changed something. Airplay should be the same from phone though.

I’m getting a streaming amp this week, that is Roon certified endpoint, so won’t typically need to stream from desktop after that. But would be good to understand what the issue is.

Also meant to mention that Roon does work to my desktop speakers, so it isn’t a problem with the install or anything.

Hi @birban59,

Thanks for checking the firmware. I am wondering if the behavior is the same if you connect the LSX directly to the router instead of having it connected via the Chrome hub as to try and rule out the hub as a networking issue. I have also seen a factory reset of the KEF speakers help in the past, so this is worth a try.

Are the LSX the only networked output devices that you have? I know you mentioned that Roon works on the desktop speakers, but it would be interesting to know if other networked endpoints behave the same, as that could possibly indicate a firewall issue somewhere along the line.

My cable for router is in another room and sort of a chore to unhook all of the stuff going into the back of the LSX to move it. I think I’ll try a factory reset, once I get some new equipment hooked up.

I am able to stream from my desktop from itunes via airplay2 network stream. Also spotify connect works from the desktop, though that is a different endpoint.

I don’t have any other networked devices in the house to try. Only bluetooth. Today I’m expecting my streaming amp which will be another networked endpoint, so I’ll try that soon and post my experience.

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Well I think it is working now. When I installed Roon remote on my phone I discovered that the firewall was blocking Roon access as you surmised above. Once I corrected that all network connections are working.
Thanks for your help. :+1:

Hi @birban59,

Thanks for the update here and glad to hear that you managed to narrow down the issue to the firewall! Hope you have an enjoyable listening experience :headphones:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.