Kernel panic on NUC5i5RYK after installing ROCK [Answered]

My NUC5i5RYK reports a kernel panic rebooting after ROCK installation up until ‘RoonOS install is complete! Please Remove your USB installer and hit ENTER to reboot’.
See the kernel panic screenshot below.

As far as I know I have succesfully completed all steps prior to the kernel panic message:

• downloaded BIOS file (RY0366.bio)
  • updated BIOS
  • configured BIOS for ROCK
  • downloaded ROCK (roonbox-linuxx64-nuc3-usb-factoryreset.img.gz)
  • unzipped file (roonbox-linuxx64-nuc3-usb-factoryreset.img)
  • formatted USB flash drive as FAT32
  • flashed ROCK to USB drive using Etcher
  • installed ROCK on NUC
  • answered questions re. ROCK configuration
  • removed USB flash & rebooted

My hardware configuration is:

• Intel NUC5i5RYK
  • Intel SSD 600P Series 128GB
  • Kingston KVR16LS11/4 4GB (2x)

Browsing Roon Community for a possible answer I came across the ‘Kernel panic on NUC5i3yk [NVME incompatibility on 5th Generation NUC]’. The screenshot in this post is 99% identical to mine. Danny Dulai indicated he expected it to be a NVMe incompatibility, but the post does not end with a clear conclusion.
And what is more: my Intel SSD 600P Series is not NVMe-enabled.

Is there anybody who can point me in the direction of a solution?
Would be greatly appreciated!

Er, what do you mean by this? I thought all Intel SSD 600P were NVMe by design?

Oops! It seems I did not do my homework properly. I could not find any referral to NVMe when I checked the SSD 600P Series specs earlier, but I must have overlooked it somehow. Sorry!

Does this mean the solution for my kernel panic problem is buying another SSD?
In the topic I referred to in my original post Danny Dulai suggests this might be the solution in that situation, but I cannot find a clear confirmation of his assumption.

I’ve seen people complain about that Intel SSD – it isn’t mounting/booting for some reason I can’t investigate unless i have the drive. I’ve not gone out and bought one because it’s not that common of a drive, and we’ve made the list of drives we recommend clear.

Thanks Danny for jumping in!
I bought this Intel SSD together with the NUC5i5RYK as a package deal, but I understand I have to get another, ROON recommended SSD.
No problem, as long as I can be (kind of) sure it will solve the problem.

the samsung NVMes are not on the list, but many people have reported success. I would search here to see models.

Otherwise use one of the recommended ones.

I’ve got a 128GB Intel SSD 600P in my NUC 7i5BNH running ROCK. Up until now, it’s been booting/mounting without issue. I do hope you haven’t now put a curse on it. :open_mouth:

I don’t think you have to live in fear. :grimacing: It seems to be a Intel ‘generation’ problem, that should be solved in the last NUC-reincarnation(s). My NUC is gen. 5, yours 7 - that will probably keep you out of danger.

This topic was automatically closed after 40 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.