Roon Core Machine

NUC i3 GEN8 ROCK V2.0

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Core connected via Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

n/a

Number of Tracks in Library

~30K

Upon the first reboot after a fresh install, I get a kernel panic.

If I disconnect the internal storage SSD, then ROCK boots ok.

I can’t sabe this linux gibberish, but it looks like the problem starts because /sbin/init can’t be found.

@support or anyone with ideas?

Sorry about the focus -

Hi @xxx,

I was digging through old posts and one of the things that jumped out at me was a kernel issue relevant to USB hubs. In one case, the hubs were actually piggybacking one another.

Is that by chance relevant to you?

Wes

Thanks for the reply. Not using a hub.

This is on the internal storage device. Not attached then ROCK boots Ok; drive attached then ROCK won’t boot.

Device was ok when I was running V2.0. After the weekend’s regress of ROCK, I downloaded ROCK and did a fresh install. The download ROCK is V1.7, which will then update to V2.0.

This strategy worked on my NUC that doesn’t have internal storage, but not on the NUC that does.

OK, I tried a fresh install on a diffrent thumb drive, twice. The result is always the same kernel panic…

After reading other posts, I re-seated the internal drive and the RAM. No dice.

Funny, at the F10 stage where the installer is asking me what drive I want to install on, it knows I have an internal drive connected. It seems like it doesn’t install all of ROCK that is necessary to read the internal drive once install is complete.

OTOH, I can read from a Shared drive on my PC, so there is some function.

I’m going to get an adapter that will let me mount the internal drive as an external USB drive to see if ROCK can read that.

Let me know if this doesn’t work. I will bring this up in a meeting if not. You’ve obviously done your due diligence in troubleshooting this.

Please leave the core online once you’re done on your side so we may get diagnostics when the time comes.

Thanks,
Wes

Ok, thanks, @Wes.

I’ll be in touch.

Hi there,

I had someone bring a suggestion to me and it makes sense. Here are some steps that I think will remedy your issue. Please let me know what you find!

• Ensure that all BIOS settings are correct as per the ROCK install guide. It’s probably best to reset the BIOS to defaults, then re-do the steps for ROCK configuration. Be sure to “save & exit” at the end.
  • Disconnect the “storage” drive so that just the boot drive is connected
  • Re-run the ROCK installer and get it to the state where it’s booting on its own.
  • Shut down the machine and reconnect the “storage” drive then reboot. The storage drive should now show up in the web UI as available to be reformatted.

Thanks for hanging in there.

I’ve done steps 2-4 several times, to no avail. Without the drive ROCK V2.0 boots without a problem. As soon as I connect the internal drive, on the next boot I get the kernel panic.

I’ll double check the BIOS, tomorrow. I briefly checked to make sure the machine knew about the 2nd drive. It did.

I should stress that prior to my attempting a fresh install, because of the regression to V1.8, I was running under the original update to V2.0 without any problems.

A mystery. Let’s see what the drive looks like when it’s put in an external case and connected to a USB port on the ROCK.

I’ll do that over the weekend once the case arrives from Amazon.

:sunglasses:

Have you done the reinstall of RoonOS from the USB stick with the storage drive disconnected? That is the critical step here.

you will also need to format that internal storage drive on another computer before reinstalling it. You are trying to install 2 different roon os drives into the same machine.

Yes, several times. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. Yesterday, I ordered an external case for the drive. When that comes, I’ll try that. What format should it be? Just a temporary exFat?

I guess you mean that, because the drive was ok with the original V2.0 update, that when I download ROCK install (V1.7) for a fresh install that is when the discrepancy happens, even tho the V1.7 is updated and runs V2.0, albeit without an internal drive? Right? :laughing:

Stay tuned. :grimacing:

i think you installed ROCK on both drives.

Hmm, not sure what you mean by this. I have two NUCs that I both did a fresh install on V1.7==>V2.0. The NUC without the internal drive is ok, the other NUC (with an internal drive) is what brings us to this.

The NUC that I’m having trouble with successfully was running V2.0 before the regression. The internal drive has the music files that were originally put there by V1.7 or V1.8, can’t remember which.

I still think you might be on to something about the reformat. I’ll try it as soon as I can.

…any result?

Thanks for staying involved.

I just got the case from Amazon, today. I’ve been in the outside, doing autumnal chores. I’ll try it first thing tomorrow.

What I’m going to do. 1) put internal drive in the USB case and see if the ROCK that the drive came out of can access it. If not then 2) attach that drive to the other NUC (where I am currently running ROCK) and see if it can be accessed there. This NUC has no provision for an internal drive. No matter what, format the drive to exFat in my WIN11 PC and see if it will then function as an internal drive in the NUC where I’m having the problems, i.e. the NUC will boot without kernel panic and that the drive can be formatted from the Web GUI.

I had another thought while I was doing chores. The ROCK install that I downloaded, to start afresh, installed V1.7. Has the kernel been changed lately, maybe in preparation for V2.0? Dunno.

It installed and updated to V2.0 all right, but does update to V2.0 wipe everything out or just build on what’s there? Dunno.

OK, after trying these experiments, with several variations, reformatting the drive worked.

Once the reformat was done the drive could be accessed as an external USB drive, something that wouldn’t happen on either NUC before the format, and as InternalStorage.

Don’t understand why this sequence (V2.0–>accidentally downgraded to V1.8 Legacy==> fresh install of V1.7==>upgrade to V2.0) should result in a kernel panic with an internal drive that contained music files that were readable under the initial V2.0.

Still, no matter what there shouldn’t be a kernel panic. Seems like there is a subtle bug happening, but guess it doesn’t matter enough to research, at least until it happens a few more times. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for the input, @danny. I am marking this solved at your post. :firecracker:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.