Keyboard media control keys only working when Roon is in foreground

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 7/ HTPC (AMD CPU)/ Valence

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Not relevant.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Not relevant

Description Of Issue

My Roon core is an HTPC running Win 7. I use a Microsoft Surface Pro (with keyboard) as a remote. If I’m using the Surface Pro for web browsing or, say, word processing, the keyboard media keys control Roon, even when it’s in the background. However, on the HTPC, the media keys only work when Roon is in the foreground. I’ve tried everything I can think of, to no avail. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The surface pro is on Windows 10 though I guess.
See here, Windows 10 or different drivers may be needed.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply and the link to a similar topic.

Just like the other poster in that thread, Foobar on my HTPC responds fine to the media keys, whether or not it’s in the foreground.

Maybe the problem would go away on my Core machine (the HTPC) if I installed Win 10 but (a) I really hate Win 10; and (b) converting my HTPC to Win 10 would be a major, extremely time-consuming, PITA.

Thanks again for the response!

Okay, I got to the bottom of the problem. Both of the keyboards are made by Logitech. When I tried a micro keyboard bought for £10 on Amazon the problem went away. So it looks like Logitech’s issue, not Roon’s.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.