Khadas Tone2 Pro

So I received my Khadas Tone2 Pro and my first impression is quite good. The only thing I really dislike are the controls. I’ll be having fun with this the upcoming days and see what I can get out of it.

As I’m typing this, my rpi4 with Ropieee just quit on me with the Tone2 attached to it. Might be because I’m on 2.5A powering them both or temperature. I’ll have to investigate.

Just before it quit on me.

1 Like

I’ve not tried powering mine exclusively from an RPi. I have a 2nd 5V power source into the “I2S” input of the Tone2. It does run warm

Hi again! Tone 2 pro still works? I was going for either this one or L&P W2. Seems like im buying the Khadas since it got more features of hi res. How do i connevt it to a Rpi? The best WAY to power it?

I was listening to mine last night. Still sounds great, especially with DSD content and PCM upsampling (in Roon) to 176.4/192 kHz.

I have my Tone2 Pro connected to a RPi4 running VitOS via an AudioQuest Cinnamon USB A to C cable. I’m using the Allo Shanti LPS to power both the RPi4 and the Tone2 Pro. I have the 5V, 3A output from the Shanti running to the RPi4 while the 5V, 1A output goes to the “I2S” input on the Tone2 Pro. I’m using the 1m Khadas balanced RCA to XLR cables to connect the Tone2 Pro to my analog preamp.

Total cost for this streamer solution? Let’s see:

RPi4 in Flirc case:          $65
Khadas Tone2 Pro:           $200
VitOS:                      FREE
Shanti LPS:                 $149
AudioQuest USB Cable:        $90
Khadas Balanced RCA to XLR:  $89
Roon:                  Priceless
--------------------------------
Total:                      $593

There are other fully integrated streamers that you could buy for around this price (eg., the Bluesound Node 2i), but I can’t think of any that provide anywhere near this level of performance.

3 Likes

Can i use it straight to laptop? Or isnt that recommended with Roon? Can i also use the volume kniv on Khadas with Roon?

It sounds fine connected to a laptop…nice thing about connecting it that way is that you can use the dial’s play/pause/skip features (if you can figure them out). I’m not sure that sound quality is as nice as using it with a proper endpoint, like the VitOS RPi4, but if there’s a difference it’s small…especially when using external power.

The volume knob iis incompatible with Roon. By this, I mean that volume changes are not reflected in Roon, and Roon’s “Device Volume” does not work with the DAC. I configured Roon to use “Fixed Volume” for the Tone2 Pro, and I adjust playback levels for headphones listening manually using the dial on the DAC.

Note: the dial only affects output from the headphone jacks. The RCA jacks on the back bypass the internal volume control and are fixed in level. If you intend to use the Tone2 with powered monitors, you’ll either have to connect them to the headphone output (probably not the best impedance match, but may work) or insert a preamp or monitor controller between the DAC and external poweramp or powered monitors.

Using it with just the USB-C from a laptop works fine. Straight from an iPad/iPhone doesn’t, then you’ll need an external power supply. I’ve also tested it shortly with an RPI4 with Ropieee, that also works.

Thanks! This is a setup that im going to build up piece for piece. Im planning on using it with IEMs, 64 audio U12t. Just laptop(core) > dac/amp >Rpi with VitOS> Samsung tablet/LG V40 as remote.

Need to buy an Rpi also. Wonder if its recommended to use the Rpi for soundquality so i dont have the dac attached to laptop?

Am gonna use this setup on my bedside table,so its probably practical and cleaner to not have the laptop there, but if there is soundquality benefits of the Rpi, i can just attach DAC AMP to laptop and store the laptop in the drawer underneath the table.

Since im using IEMs, i dont need an seperate AMP. The Khadas will be enough and it measures excellent in balanced mode(Khadas Tone2 Pro Review (DAC & Amp) | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum)

So the reason for that im considering Khadas 2 is necause of the measurements, features( up to dsd 512, PCM 768, MQA etc). And Volume dial. Hell of a package for 199. And i dont need the balanced RCA since i dont have any more equipment. (used LG quad dac phoned as dap).

I also been looking at L&P W2. Dsd 128 or 256/pcm 196 or 384.No mqa. 3.5 and 4.4 mm and measures really good Measurement&Review of Luxury&Precision W1/W2 Portable USB DAC-Amp | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum. It cost 299 and got more i line EQ features.no volume dial

What do u guys think will be the best for my use? Khadas or W2?

1 Like

Did you hear any sound improvement with Rpi?

I didn’t do any critical listening yet. First checked my options. But at no point did I find the sound bad, although it seemed to me that the iFi power for one reason or another raised the treble on my Sennheiser HD660S.

I decided pair up THX AAA 789 headphone amp and Khadas Tone2 Pro this morning. The short balanced RCA to XLR “adapters” are a little too short and stiff. They jack up the back of the DAC. :slight_smile:

While the internal amp has plenty of power for the headphones I use most often (Sennheiser HD650 with balanced cables and E-MU Wood Series Teak), it’s fun to hear what the Tone2 can do with virtually limitless power.

Using the balanced cables, I hear no hiss from the DAC even with the volume on the THX AAA 789 set to maximum on the high gain setting. Impressive.

1 Like

Very nice.

1 Like

I’m more and more enjoying the Khadas, especially with some of my in-ears. Right now using my iPad together with some Adv-Sound GT3 Superbass IEMs.

1 Like

The weight of the Tone2 is one of the downsides as you mentioned before and the material used underneath doesn’t help either. I might try some dampers with glue dots. Will lift it up and will benefit from it possibly.

So I went “all out” and now it’s hard to go back. It might be considered overkill.

• Rpi4 running Ropieee, powered by an iFi iPower 5V/2,5A PSU

• Khadas Tone2 Pro, powered by an Sbooster BoTW 5V/3A PSU

• Listening through AKG K3003i three-way IEMs.

I’m very satisfied, a lot of details and a very pleasant sound. It now also drives my Sennheiser HD660S beautifully.

1 Like

What are the stand you are using for your Tone2 Pro?

Not my stand, but it looks quite similar to this one:

1 Like

Actually yeah, that was is shared. Many tablet/phone stands will do fine. I just picked it up somewhere at some point.

Nice work, I am waiting my tone2 coming.

1 Like

You’ll love that little machine.

I have done a comparison between the Khadas Tone2 Pro, iFi Hip Dac and Earmen TR-Amp. The last two mentioned both have their own battery.

The Khadas by far has the most pleasing sound to my ears.

1 Like

Looks like another batch of the Khadas Tone2 Pro DAC/Amp is open. I’m listening to mine at the moment. Some minor firmware niggles (eg., phase is inverted) that should be fixed soon. It’s still one of my favorite DACs.

1 Like