Kii Three speaker

Link removed, sorry for the inconvenience.

Edit:
Do you have an estimate on when the official version will be released?

But it was working earlier today and I downloaded it and updated my system. You had it open to the public on a available page through links on your website.
If itā€™s not an official release, you shouldnā€™t be making it accessible to the public.

Just wait: only few days until Christmas :christmas_tree::wink:

We were testing our new knowledgebase yesterday and put a BETA version up for a brief period. Sorry

1 Like

So what does the update add?

I believe the most important thing is eight new filters for the EQ. Bluetooth is also enabled, kid of strange in my opinion, but it could be convenient sometimes. Hopefully a changelog will be released soon. The update site is up and running again, and the update software is no longer crashing. I donā€™t know if it is official yet.

I personally find it very odd that not even a very basic changelog is published - they could certainly give us some kind of idea of what theyā€™ve improved/changed without revealing any ā€œsecretsā€.
And Iā€™m assuming the new filters are in the ā€œproā€ section.
Sort of difficult to know if itā€™s worth checking out when no explanation is provided.

Well, the new support pages have a section called ā€œOperation - Kii Control v.2 firmwareā€. There also is some information on the new filters and their potential settings. Of course you should know how to use them, but itā€™s not difficult to find out after some web-search if you are really interested. I did it because I really wanted to use them to tame some room effects (modes) and it helped really a lot to be able to better adapt the Kiis to the room and thus substantially raise the listening enjoyment without further adding additonal hardware (apart from the measurment mic you need)

1 Like

Well I donā€™t think there were some under the hood changes other than the standard gain setting, which is set higher since a couple of FW versions (if people missed that versions the Kii could appear louder in the same volume setting). And yes, there is a changelog available and I know it being a beta tester since almost 3 months. Kii took a lot of time to test and improve the FW. Maybe (or frankly I would propose to do it) they will release it as well on the knowledge base. Otherwise all functions are described there.

1 Like

Good to see parametric EQ seems to be rolling out to the Kii three (even if accompanied by very limited information and without much fanfare). That functionality helps gain some ground back on the 8c. It seems Kii do listen (to some degree), even if they donā€™t really embrace community engagement.

Iā€™m still sitting on the fence watching the 8c and three to see where they both evolve to. All that would need to sway me to the Kii now are; a more affordable bxt type sub add-on, a rework of the control to a simpler wireless one, and filter setup etc via an app, and a transferable warranty. I soooo prefer the looks of the three, but still a bit far off fulfilling all my needs.

1 Like

I donā€™t think you are going to get your wish list. Itā€™s way too big, and probably not what Kii has in mind. In any case, itā€™s taken them years to just get the firmware update out, so I wouldnā€™t hold my breath about all the other developments you are waiting for.

The 8c sounds like it is more what you are looking for.

If I was you, Iā€™d maybe take a look at the B&W Formation Duo, that also has itā€™s compatible sub. Add a little DRC \DSP software on a server, and youā€™d probably have something that fits a lot of what youā€™ve described.

Kii audio is a fairly small company with limited resources. Customer support is basically handeled by one main person, so their active community engagements likely are limited, but they are aware of them, Iā€™m sure. Also the technical/programming resources are limited on one or few people, so that the current focus seems to be on improving/stabelizing the current HW (speaker and KC).
I doubt any focus will be put on wireless/ app based activities in the near future. (The essential functions of the KC/Speaker can be changed with the simple apple remote. Finally the new FW also enables remotely switching between presets)

What the Kii speaker(s) might evelve to I am also curious to know. Maybe it will be a new model one day, maybe it will be a Kii Three MK II based on the Purifi Amp modules and also their transducers. That surely would offer a very interesting new perspective also for the sub-bass/ bass frequency region.
Bruno Putzeys being a co-founder of Purifi and active designer of their technology might imply to integrate it also into the Kii Audio products sooner or later. But this is pure speculation.
I am still very satisfied listening to the Kiiā€™s and with the new EQ-stettings it even opened up a new listening window

Despite slightly preferring the sound of the Kii three, the 8c probably is more what Iā€™m for looking for - certainly in terms of price, bass headroom, and app control. If only theyā€™d put it in a Kii three cabinet! :wink:

Those B&Ws are definitely not what Iā€™m looking for thoughā€¦:blush:

I think I need to do new demos this year, and try and get them both at home this time - only way to make my mind up properly.

Have you heard both speakers? Itā€™s hard for me to think of the Kiis as not having enough bass/loudness for someone - unless you have a very large room or just have to have that big physical impact bass.

That said, if they came out with a somewhat more conventional is size sub that integrated with the Threes, Iā€™d get it, just to have that last bit of bass fullness and impact - because I could, not because I need it. The BXT are way too pricey for me, and just donā€™t have a good enough price to added performance ration in my way of looking at things. For that type of money, Iā€™d probably get something else entirely instead of the Kiis with BXT.

Yeah, as mentioned above and further upstream, both together in a ā€˜head to headā€™ if you like, but at a dealers not at home.

I actually preferred the Kii three sound on that occasion (it was close) especially with electronic music which is my main genre, but it was a fairly short demo of an hour or so.

I would say the 8c have a slightly warmer/softer sound and the three a touch ā€˜harderā€™ or just more emphasis on detail. Similar but different.

But the numbers speak for themselves and thereā€™s more bass headroom in the 8c and my place is bigger, more open plan, and less damped than the demo room. Maybe the 8c would be less fatiguing long-term is what I thought after the event. But these things are very subjective and really I just need to hear them at home.

The BXT is totally out of my league price-wise and FWIW I donā€™t particularly like the look compared to the threes standalone. The price of the threes already seems a bit out of line now compared to the 8c, especially when you add the Ā£1.5k cost of that control box which really should just come with a pair of speakers.

Anyway, itā€™s fun considering the next purchase. Meanwhile I just mess about with EQ on my current setup, itā€™s enough to change the sound slightly and see how it goes for a whileā€¦ much cheaper than buying and selling.

I agree with @hifi_swlon. Iā€™ve listened extensively to both speakers in a high end audio storeā€™s listening room and demoed the 8Cs at home. I did not demo the Kiis at home as I wasnā€™t able to find a way to do this. I started the evaluation expecting and frankly wanting to buy the Kiis. But as @hifi_swlon says, the 8Cs are warmer, provide exceptional bass, are amazing in a large room for such a small speaker and are cheaper. The Kiiā€™s are slightly more detailed but sound more clinical to me. I would expect that with the BXTs the Kiis would step to a solid notch above the 8Cs but the price would jump to $37,000 vs $13,000 for the 8Cs so the comparison isnā€™t really fair (and I havenā€™t heard them so donā€™t really know), and even without the BXTs the Kiis are $17,000 with control ā€“ 30% more expensive than the 8Cs. In the end I bought the 8Cs and Iā€™m running them in a large room via AES/EBU from a Lumin U1 mini and the sound is fantastic. Looking forward to testing with ethernet when it is available. But in the end, you frankly canā€™t go wrong with either.

2 Likes

One of the advantages of such a speaker is that you can use DSP to adjust the sound. For instance, I slightly ā€œwarmā€ the sound of mine between 100- 400hz - not to change the speaker, but to take the ā€œedgeā€ off of the many recordings I think have a bit of a hard sound.
DSP can really change the result or adjust the sound to your room or taste.

What you describe, is the exact reason i went with the 8Cs.
The Kii3 are absolutely fantastic, but for me, the ā€œharder soundā€ was something i never fell for.
I auditioned the Kii3 long before D&D 8C had even seen the light.

I remember thinking, wow , pretty amazing. But back then, coming from Tubes, the Kii3 was a bit to hard in the highs, almost a little mechanical sounding. Might be the way the Ncore is implemented.

When i heard the 8CĀ“s a long time after i was once again amazed, and this time i liked the sound. I asked to audition both speakers. For me, the 8CĀ“s gave me what i wanted. A ā€œwarmerā€ sound, bigger bass headroom, better looks. 3D and separation is AMAZING on both speakers.

The D&D8c was also cheaper, so for me it was easy. The BXT will give you bass headroom, but at a price. A price i am not willing to spend, when the D&D8c already has more bass than i need in my almost 56m2 room.

The Kii3 and D&D8C are AMAZING. You cant go wrong with either.

1 Like

Totally agree - I went from thinking I knew a lot about DSP and EQ to finally actually knowing a fair bit through trial and error.

Iā€™m constantly amazed at the differences small eqs can make, especially once there are already eqs in place dealing with issues as best they can.

I feel I never quite get there regardless of kit, and so I know I have a difficult space but no option to change/treat. So EQ gives me at least some options. Looking back I now realise that kit changes probably just primarily had different EQ. Yes there are other factors but itā€™s this I think we hear the most obviously. I sometimes change the curve just for fun and to get that ā€˜listen to my collection againā€™ feeling you get from new kit.

Well, thatā€™s so subjective. If the 8c were available in a Kii three cabinet Iā€™d be listening to a pair right nowā€¦

yes, looks is subjective. :slight_smile: