Last day of Trial - and Roon has dropped the ball on a few fronts

And that’s because we just can’t break old habits. I do the same, even though I know I could just drag and drop the newly-ripped album folder onto the Roon screen and let Roon take care of it. I really don’t need to do any manual house-keeping at all…

1 Like

True :rofl:

No, I have not and you saying I have does not make it so. I only care about the file structure outside of Roon. I NEVER need to access it inside of Roon. So Roon not having a folder centric view into my music is not a problem in any way for me. Like @Geoff_Coupe, I don’t really do any manual housekeeping at all. It’s my mild OCD that has me setting up a logical directory structure for my music files.

I don’t even do that lol… The ripped music has meta data and Roon finds it and sorts it.

So thats what you got out of everything I wrote? You find I’m using a wrong term…

1. I’m not a native speaker.
  2. When you put your music on your pc, you use folders. Or please tell me I missed something. And yeah, after that software can do some fancy relational stuff so it’s not so highly critical anymore where and how you organise stuff. Which is what Roon wants to do for you, but doesn’t do perfectly. If you want some control over that, it is either impossible or via a lengthy workaround. That’s not being old fashioned it’s just asking for control over my music. I can’t even get my playlists out of Roon!
  3. What about Roon not working with any good room correction software? In my book room correction has come to age and now has the ability to have a significant positive impact on sound quality. But like with a lot of stuff in Roon you can only get it to work with flawed workarounds… or your stuck with Roon’s own solution which doesn’t get you near the results you would get with DIRAC for example. And what about Tidal coming up with better/more logical search results than Roon? Or the remote app being so slow you have to be deeply in love with Roon to put up with it?
    I like Roon. I’m just not in blindly in love with it and somehow thats offensive to some on this forum.
1 Like

Roon can use Convolution filters produced by a variety of products. Many of us use REW, and Magnus has produced a guide for this.

2 Likes

What I got out of your post that was you wanted Roon to be able to access your folder structure and that you think our computers run using directory structures. I responded saying that how data is organized on disk is not important to the computer or to Roon.

1. I don’t care if English is your first or fifth language. You meaning was clear.

2. What does it matter how I setup my music directory structure? Roon doesn’t care and my mild OCD is what causes me to have a basic organization of my music directory structure. Roon is not perfect and no one says that it is. But, I have no issues with 99% of my albums and the albums that have issues have been simple to fix. Since I listen to full albums almost exclusively, playlist don’t really matter much to me. I have a few playlists, tags, and bookmarks. But I don’t use them much.

3. Roon does work with room correction software. Roon also works with HQPlayer which works with room correction software. I use Tidal from within Roon so I have no idea what Tidal does differently or better or worse than Roon. The remote app on my iPad is not perfect but it pretty damn good and as good or better what other music apps offer.

Roon works very well for me. I listen to music and Roon makes that experience easy and fun. It also lets me explore music , both old and new, in ways I never imagined I could. I am a lifetime license holder and I am very happy with Roon. Do I hope it gets better? Sure I do! But, if it never does, I am content with it and how if functions now.

1 Like

Unsubscribing from this now…

I like Roon a lot, I have a lifetime subscription, it suits me very well, but I dislike this forum intensely. As customers, it isn’t our job to defend the products we buy, that’s the manufacturer’s role. It certainly isn’t our job to get pissy when someone offers constructive criticism and belittle them so we feel better about our purchasing choices. Saying someone “isn’t ready” for a product they have taken the time to evaluate is the sort of behaviour I would expect from pubescent schoolgirls defending their favourite boy band when someone has the temerity to criticise them.

Grow up people. More power to you Stan.

11 Likes

When I first started using Roon several years back I was in the camp of Folders. Back then there was a aggressive debate about folders and it still continues today and will be still talked about aggressively again a year of 2 from now especially as the Roon membership grows. No matter how adamant Roon feels about this, it is not going away.

I remember back then I came across a App with a folder view on my Yamaha Music Cast. At first I was really excited about this. That excitement did not last long.

I do not have a hugh collection but I do have thousands of albums. From a phone or a tablet it went south very fast. Swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe down and then swipe, swipe, swipe up.

This was folder view on a phone and a tablet. Bad experience. I finally understood the Roon philosophy.

However from a desktop with a mouse the experience was totally different.

It would seem to me since this topic will not go away that maybe Roon should rethink this position and maybe make it available to the desktop only.

Like so many things in Roon that are there but you do not see them until there is reason, a folder view could be implemented and in the end all this would do would be to make Roon a better product.

For those who do not like or want folder view, then their Roon experience would not be altered in any way and the Roon experience would still be there in all of its glory.

This topic will still be here talked about aggressively a few years down the road and although Roon has to make business decisions and stick to them, sometimes those decision might need to be changed.

–MD

1 Like

I agree with much of this. We are talking about a music player/audio, first world problems => perspective.

I don’t dislike the forum, tons of great resources, but keep in mind its a forum like any other. However, for the OP to come out swinging in such a way is sophomoric. Smells of trolling or is 17yr kid, seriously who conveys thoughts and presents problems this way? There is an intelligent way to discuss problems/shortcomings. Would you ever go to a meeting at work and just go off? Again context.

He doesn’t like the application and brought up points to quantify them, OK fine, don’t let the door hit you… why people try to convince otherwise within his context.

No need to try to sell him / defend the app to make one feel better, as you said. I wouldn’t want to support such a personality anyway TBH

2 Likes

Oh come on!! Stan did not offer constructive criticism. He arrogantly kicked at the product on his way out the door and wanted everyone here to hear about it on his way out.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Can roon add the functions that find source by folder?

Why not just tag any album you add, then use Focus to locate listen

Totally agree

Actually it cares alot, if you dont have your folders organized AlbumArtist/Album and then add them to Roon then Roon will struggle to identify them.

I just loaded a bunch of discs ripped in dB power amp. They just went in the pot and Roon found and identified them all without issue.

1 Like

No, Roon does not care. I rip all of my CDs with dBpoweramp and basic metadata is always present. I could put every album at the root level of the watched folder with a bogus folder name and Roon would identify them all just fine.

1 Like

Ok maybe album artist folder is not critical, but you are storing them as one folder = one album and that is critical, if you just songs from multiple albums in one folder, or for Classical stored them by work rather than album then would Roon would not be so successful.

Why would I not put all the tracks from one album in its own folder??? Just dumping all tracks from multiple albums in a single folder would be illogical.

1 Like