While I like the UI, it pretty much stops there. It fails as a solution on several major fronts, that mpd and MPDs variants has wins on.
- There is no agreement with Spotify or other significant partner and it looks like that won’t happen.
- As many have expressed there is no folder view or filtering by folder, and its a blatant lie that this is difficult or out of scope. Roon db knows exactly where the file is. Many have invested time in other systems to order things by folder. Many of us are multicultural and don’t want our indian/chinese/etc music shuffling in and out. Roon Development seems to have no respect for that and as a result I have little respect for roons egregious error in vision.
- Roon plays Christmas music in July - doesn’t seem to be an exclusion feature based on time or folder.
- Roon has no global-cache IP or RS232 device control capability.
- Roon is very expensive for what it is. ( a music player)
- Roon has exhibited stuttering on a few 24bit tracks.
Sorry to go, it shows promise but 2, 3 and 6 are barriers to adoption.