Last day of Trial - and Roon has dropped the ball on a few fronts

Sorry, I didn’t loose any credibility, rather Roon lost a customer and that’s the only loss going on here - in part due to lack of basic features - making playlists from folders, a proper tagging interface and the unfathomably blind drink the koolaid bias of the community. Blocking file access is not a philosophy it’s plain arrogance, it can do all of its things AND offer file access.

anon55914447Mark
You want Roon to replicate views that are available elsewhere because…?

Distorting whats been said? really? - it’s already replicating whats on my nas, just not with fidelity, but instead with limitation.

You can’t lose what you never had. Good luck in your quest.

2 Likes

Danny2 I appreciate the decency and understanding of your post.

I did use the focus and bookmark functions and its really going to take a long time to replicate whats already categorized in folders. Its unnecessary effort, for little gain. I’d have to hire a student to do this for the summer - but why.

BTW “Focus on storage location” is the lamest implementation I have ever seen - its absolutely frustrating that they made it FLAT you can’t even drill down into your folders. Sad featureless item.

As a person who has multiple language collections, also DJs outside and adds music when away from the home network, folders are essential in management - life doesn’t revolve around the way roon wants one to do things, its a cooperation. Roon or any software has to add convenience and innovation. Roon has been innovative in UI but inconvenient and it has features I’ll probably never use since they are replicated on other hardware I have.

Spotify via remote control (built in to spotify) is fantastic for easy listening/community and discovery. Plex does a great job at letting you use your own DAC and can route music to any part of your house, allowing offline sync.

I’m glad some people have found in joy in it, but marrying yourself to software and the lessons that will teach is a coming of age I suppose. Good luck roonies.

I’m not distorting anything. I’m asking why people want Roon to be a file manager, when the OS that has your media on it already has a file manager.

2 Likes

You have lost credibility because you are being the most arrogant of all posting in this thread. You think that you way is the only right way and therefore Roon must be flawed in their approach. The only point you make that I can agree with is the poor tagging interface.

You have spoken your peace…now exit gracefully.

2 Likes

Depending on how you have things organized and what you want, that is not really true. Say you have a whole bunch of music under a Folder “HappyHour”. You go to tracks, on the left you enable Path as a sorting option, you click the filter, type “HappyHour”, add a bookmark called Happy Hour. Forever after, 2 click access to all the music under the HappyHour folder. And if you put new things in the Happy Hour folder it will show up under the bookmark.

4 Likes

As powerful as bookmarks are one has to be careful to either not use too many or at least apply some naming scheme - because unluckily bookmarks organization is rather limited (and doesn’t synch across clients).

Rugby - this has been the best response yet to at least getting to your folders Surprised that the welcome committee in this thread didn’t mention the work around. When last I looked at tracks, The path filtering icon was way off off screen. It’s a bit crippled (no and/or operators but could work, though with again - a fair bit of effort and time.

Still not swayed to 500usd, for that I’d expect far better tag management, focus should have been able to do this and filtering needs improvement.

Roon IS flawed in the approach because it offers limitations, workarounds, futzing and low functionality in rudimentary features. If you can’t handle criticism of software - what does that say of your life?

[mutes thread]

Thanks Mike - yea 2 weeks isn’t very long since playing with this toy only really happens on the weekend, but the toy is time consuming, and this isn’t Visual Studio or Eclipse that you’re going to make an income from - its music playback.

1 Like

FWIW you can easily find 30day trials of Roon… but I agree, you shouldn’t have to ‘look,’ it should just be offered.

(This 30-day works for anyone, last I checked: https://www.nativedsd.com/information/roon)

2 Likes

These posts always start and end the same way:

Trial user uses his very first post to:
Tell us all he won’t be paying for Roon
Complains about the price
Complains about features that are ‘missing’
Labels anyone trying to help as apologists for the software or fanboys
Wonders why, having used his first post to slag off Roon and its users he hasn’t been made welcome

Forum regulars ask why the trial user:
Didn’t post about the issues earlier so we could help
Didn’t ask for an extension to his trial to resolve some issues with functionality or network issues (yes 2 weeks is too short)
Didn’t do a bit of basic research in the forum beforehand
Didn’t know that lack of folder view is a feature of the product
Acknowledge that there is room for improvement in the software

One of the Mods will then step in and bring it to a close when it gets personal…

14 Likes

Somebody should write a script and run it once a month. That way the malcontents can just read through the post and click the heart button over and over. Save everybody’s time.

Hello there

I was also in the same situation. But I gently asked for a commercial gesture when I subscribed and I got 1 month trial, 3 free months of TIDAL and I pay 12 months for15 months.

I felt it was a nice gesture and now I really really enjoy Roon. I just don’t understand people being vocals and not acting on themselves to ask for a gesture.

2 Likes

What comes out of this for me is that I certainly didn’t take to Roon after a single two week trial. I personally went on two trials before opting for a year subscription after which I would have been happy to walk away.
It took some time for me to get used to not being able to ‘see’ my collection in folders. And I am pretty sure this is why my Wife still streams by DNLA and ignores Roon. She does this through the TV, the folders are presented on a 55 inch screen! :thinking:
I tried a lot of ‘music players’. They all had folder view! They had various other pros and cons. They all fell short in more fundamental ways than Roon did for me so Roon stayed and I try to influence from within where possible. But for the record, I wouldn’t use folder view now even if it became available! It is soooo last century!

Roon is very good and not only a simple Music Player.
Spotify has no HIghRESAUDIO

You can have Qobuz with Roon it is the best WAY…

1 Like

For all of those that don’t understand the OP’s (or any other’s) motivation to post their thoughts on Roon, that is a primary function of this forum. What is actually odd is the need to attack someone who does so.

The OP was harsh on Roon, but not any individuals and it just doens’t make any sense to shoo someone away as some of the Roon regulars have done here. It’s embarrassing to be part of the culture here in the Roon forum and see others behave that way.

For some reason, I guess people link their identity with Roon in a way that makes them upset when someone is critical of “their” software.

Yes, here it goes: Roon could make the dumb debates about folder navigation go away by simply implementing it. Yes, I know, folder view is against their philosophy. It’s too “me too,” like having a transparent windshield on the front of your car, when Roon knows where you want to drive anyway. It’s toxic, maybe even carcinogenic, to navigate via folders.

Roon’s method of navigation is superior for 90% of music browsing. I agree with that. But it sucks for that last 10%. Box sets, audio files that do not represent published music. Trouble-shooting. Quick assembly of playlists from folders. Playing music that isn’t in your library that you don’t want in your library, nor do you want to have to remember to go back and remove it. There are probably hundreds of “Right now I’m not browsing my library for pleasure based on metadata” use cases, sometimes basic admin, for folder view. No one who enjoys browsing Roon’s way is going to be sucked back to the dark side of folder navigation just because it’s there. It’s there in any other media player just in case those other means of navigation don’t work. And there will always be some cases like that, no matter how well Roon develops its browsing methods or accommodates use cases one at a time.

There are plenty of polite responses in this thread. But a few of them are unnecessarily harsh, aggressive, or uncivil. I’m glad there are die-hard Roon fans. I am one. It means Roon has a good chance of sticking around. Doesn’t mean you have to rip folks who come in here to provide feedback. It’s just awful to read” OK Roon isn’t for you, now just go away.”

18 Likes