Last day of Trial - and Roon has dropped the ball on a few fronts

This forum gives unreservedly. If you ask for help or workarounds, you get them. If you make observations you get replies with agreement or counter observations. Responses tend to match the tone of the opening and subsequent posts. No crimes committed as far as I can see!

5 Likes

Maybe I have missed something, but my point was that if Roon has modifed the metadata so now the artist or album is not what you thought it was then how do you find the file in Roon if you dont know what Roon has labelled it as and cant navigate to in Roon its via folder hierachy ?

I check my imports in the ā€œRecently Addedā€ part of ā€œOverviewā€ (first menu item), this gives me a chance to see what Roon has done with it. Roon never modifies the original file Metadata, so no danger there.

It doesnt modify the file itself, but it may in some case display completely different metadata to what was in the file (and hence what you are familiar with), that is what I meant by this.

You can select whether you wish Roon to use its data or your own data

1 Like

Chris, I think you are missing my point.
My point being that usually you would want to use Roons settings and would import a load of music in one go, however if for some of the albums Roons metadata is very different to what you originally had you could then have difficult tracking done where your album has gone, and a folder view to navigate to your album by the folder path(that you know) would be useful.

1 Like

Just type the artist or album name in search and you would find it. After the initial imports you just do a few at a time anyway.
I can find all my stuff easily, even unreleased recording we makeā€¦ They are Bookmarked to suit me. Couldnā€™t be easier.

Come on! I always make sure that when I add an album it gets identified as something close to what I expect the moment I add it. So, I can always uses the ā€œSorted by Date Addedā€ view and see any album I add.

Are you trying to make problems up that donā€™t exist?

1 Like

In your opinion. In mine it offers everything I need and more. The fact I donā€™t have to drill down through folders or genres to find what I want is a godsend. I donā€™t want this its archaic in my eyes as it is to a lot of users and this is why they chose Roon amongst its other features you seem to ignore.Where files live is irrelevant to get me to play the music I want. There are plenty other solutions out there doing what you want. Roons library management is obviously not for you, thatā€™s fine, but Roonā€™s overall package is way bigger than just library simple library management, class leading multiroom bringing disparate systems in to one, excellent DSP controls, full integration of streaming and library so its seamless Roon again doesnt care where its from it sees it all as you library of music. The software. is constantly being improved and updated, with stellar support. Nothing comes near it in my eyes and its easy to use the whole family can use it.

Is it perfect no, what is. Is it perfect for me , YES!

1 Like

"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, But in ourselves ā€¦ā€ or, in this case, the fault lies with your, not Roon.
Donā€™t like Roon, move on. But do spare us these picayune gripes.

1 Like

Of course in my opinion, who elseā€™s? - I am the would be user.
I found the DSP controls fun, but easy to generate overload, I really donā€™t use dsp other than with room correction.

BTW how does anyone take a subset of their music with them with roon - canā€™t find that anywhere. Easily found in plex or spotify and some others. Saw some threads that its coming, perhaps its not here yet.

Kevin_Roxby
"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, But in ourselves ā€¦ā€ or, in this case, the fault lies with your, not Roon.
Donā€™t like Roon, move on. But do spare us these picayune gripes.

Good quote, sorry that it doesnā€™t mean what youā€™re trying to imply, take another read of Julius Ceasar. If youā€™re upset by what Iā€™m saying, then feel free to ask yourself why you are; or not read the tread.

1 Like

Currently there is no mobile Roon. It is being looked at but thatā€™s all we know. They only announce things fully when they are ready and not until. Plexā€™s audio support is dire especially for outside, doesnā€™t cache ahead enough for mobile use at all. Also their library management for audio is also bad. Video they do very well they should stick with that. Iā€™ve had it for years so now itā€™s strengths.

It is important that Roon know why they lose sales, and it is important that they know when existing customers have issues. Just because Iā€™ve very little need for folder based browsing doesnā€™t mean I canā€™t understand why some people like it, especially if they have heavily invested in organising their music by folders. Itā€™s not as if the tag based searching and browsing in Roon is particularly powerful, or overwhelmingly superior. Canā€™t see why Roon canā€™t offer folders too. It would enable people who have their music organised that way to enjoy Roon when they first get it, and then migrate in the fullness of time to Roons mixture of Focus and filters and search.

3 Likes

Interesting thread. I have some sympathy for @Stan_Mā€™s gripe about folder views. Though, really, itā€™s not about folders, itā€™s about taxonomy. Here we have a potential Roonie whoā€™s worked out his own extensive taxonomy of music, and heā€™d like to have some way to import that into Roon. Not unreasonable to expect Roon to support several popular ways of arranging a collection (establishing a taxonomy), including folder hierarchies.

Personally, I use a flat folder arrangement, with a metadata graph overlaid. But if I found myself in Stanā€™s situation, Iā€™d probably write a little Python script to translate the folder layout into tags, and add them to Roonā€™s DB tags. Except thereā€™s no API for the tags, is there? That seems like an omission.

5 Likes

I just chuck them in and Roon sorts it fineā€¦ I can find anything I want easily and quickly.

J River lets you load tags from your folder layout. Might be worth a try. Though it isnā€™t necessarily the case that a folder hierarchy will translate easily into tags. Why Roon lack empathy for folk who have found a folder view a useful way of structuring their music is beyond me. Bet they use folders, paths, or whatever, to organise pretty much all of their software.

2 Likes

My impression is that Roon is trying to present a more analog-like environment rather than the ā€˜digitalā€™ effect that a tree of folders suggests.

1 Like

And to flesh out that thought further, folders become a sideshow in the greater library environment from Tidal/Qobuz.
I can see where people used to folders would like to see them in Roon, but I think it would be clunky tacked to the side of ā€˜folderlessā€™ libraries from Tidal.

Yes. Again the Roon tension between collections, and streaming. Though I see no reason one couldnā€™t use oneā€™s own private taxonomy with albums imported from Qobuz. The folders really just represent that taxonomy; itā€™s the principles of arrangement one wants to use, not the folders themselves.