Last day of Trial - and Roon has dropped the ball on a few fronts

Well, I don’t know nuthin’ bout taxidermy or Python scripts. I do admire that Roon has chosen it’s own vision and has stayed true to it. :wink:

4 Likes

'Course, that’s also easy to do if you’re stuck in a rut.

But you’re absolutely right, we subscribers are just along for the wild ride.

1 Like

Box sets are a sore point, especially ones where each disc has a different cover. Roon can’t deal with this, which is annoying.

1 Like

No I’m not making problems up, I’ll try again.

You do an initial import of a 1000 albums, weeks later you are trying to play a particular album that you know you have but doesnt seem to be in Roon library. This can be for a number of reasons including misidentification (and/or correctly identifying as something different to what user had as I described with my Frank Zappa, Mothers of Invention example). And this problem is documented in https://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_Some_of_my_files_aren’t_showing_up_in_Roon - it also offers a solution to this real problem, looking up a file by path

However this is rather hidden, works only at track level, and it doesn’t seem to work properly, for example I have enabled path searching, and yet even though we can clearly see disc in the path for some of these files

search yields only results for genre Disco !

1 Like

You have not moved the screen over enough, you should be putting “disc” or even better “disk 1 Tolerance” into the FILTER for the path. Like So…

1 Like

Thankyou for clearing that up for me, weird that is wasn’t displayed by default (but maybe I had done something beforehand)

Why should it? It seems to me that Roon Search takes into account album metadata (both in the local library and any streaming services that are integrated), but not low-level stuff such as paths. Given that the Roon philosophy is that folders and paths are not important, it would seem to be the natural result that paths are not considered.

And I don’t think it’s broken. Search in Roon has a specific group of objects that it includes in its operation. And this group is not the same as those that would be considered in the Search operation in Windows File Explorer for example. Searching for “dis” in my instance of Roon gives me these results (composite image):

93 posts regarding one guy not liking Roon.

2 Likes

Well, it does give the group something to do while waiting to critique v1.7

4 Likes

Actually 93 posts about a guy who wants roon to design a music program that fits just his peculiar approach to organizing music. He doesn’t want to like roon more, he wants roon to change to be the program of his fantasy.

5 Likes

Of his 6 comments, 4.5 are very common to the forum, and one is his system problem. So no I don’t think he’s looking for anything unique.

Streaming audio with Plex is useless, but you can sync a playlist. When you add or remove items from that playlist, it will automatically get synced to your portable. It doesn’t matter where you edit the playlist and if you enable it, syncing will also occur over your mobile connection. It’s about as slick as it gets and far preferable to any streaming setup, in my opinion. I queue up a day’s worth of listening on my playlist, delete things when I’m done with them and add some more albums at the end of the day.

I’m not crazy about the mobile Plex player, so I configured Plex on to sync all data to an SD card. Then I pointed USB Audio Player Pro to scan the SD card so I can use it for playback instead. Other than hopping back and forth between a few different apps, this is a superb setup.

I have both Plex and Roon pointing to the same Music library so it really isn’t much extra management to make my collection portable. I wish Roon would offer portable streaming/syncing and a bit perfect mobile player but I doubt those are coming any time soon, if ever.

You tell it in the settings how you want it to display. I have it set to display acc’d to my metadata, and it does.

The comments you have get from the Roon users were very polite so why are you so angry? It’s a very good thing that Roon has offer a free period for trying out if the software works for you. Now you know it doesn’t do the job for you and you can go further in your search. So why call happy users of Roon people whit an attitude? That’s so unnecessary and not polite. I hope you will find the right solution for you.

2 Likes

Hi @Stan_M
Have you ever noticed that no app / program / supplier does it all? I am as frustrated as you are with i.e. the handling of metadata by Tivo / Roon and I have been vocal about it.
But at some point in time I have decided that all things considered Roon is of great value to me. I have learned to circumnavigate its shortcomings and I enjoy its unique strengths. I am a lifetime subscriber with no regrets.
I wish you that you find the player app that works for you. No need to become irritated with people for whom Roon is a good match with their requirements. They simply may not have the same requirements as you.
Good luck and all the best.

2 Likes

Never new that existed. Has anyone flagged it doesn’t work with @support?

I think it does work, I was confused between search and filter (because filter not visible on screen)

Can i put my orange box on your bandwagon, dash 94 now

Not starting fires but jriver can, ask by pm and I’ll tell you😈