Last day of Trial - and Roon has dropped the ball on a few fronts

Ok, I get your points there, but that’s like saying, it’s easier to keep milk in the fridge in a bottle. That’s better than just pouring it on the floor of the thing.
Beyond a basic folder, Roon does not care and you don’t need to trawl your way through folders either in order to find and organise things. Roon does that for you.

1 Like

Okay, it wasnt clear what you mean’t. So the key thing is you have you to organize by album, so you could then group those albums by a genre, year ecetera but must keep the album intact (i,e not split into works)

Roon is album centric, not track centric or work centric. Even if it weren’t, I would always keep albums intact as I mentally organize my music by album.

1 Like

So would I, but dont assume everyone thinks the same as you.

I don’t assume everyone is the same as me. But, Roon is album centric. For people that don’t want to manage their local music library that way, Roon probably isn’t for them.

You seem to be missing my point, Roon doesnt say make sure you have everything organized into albums before you try and use Roon (butr you do need to do this), the message is more whatever you have Roon will sort it into albums for you, these are two quite different things.

For example somebody may have previously just had all their files in a single folder, then decide this was not a great idea and would like Roon to sort it all out into albums for them, this is unlikely to work well.

Each time when ROON release new update (ver or build) the very first thing I run to check out is:
IS THERE ANY SQ IMPROVEMENT?
What about You?

In the real world, people generally have albums and singles separated in their own folders. If you are outside of this norm, then you will run into issues somewhere and it may as well be Roon.
Why should Roon solve minority outside cases?

1 Like

No, I don’t think the message is that Roon will sort songs into albums for you. You can’t just dump a 100 CDs worth of tracks into a folder and expect Roon to organize them into the proper albums. Roon does not make that claim, either.

Look, I have a bunch of single tracks I bought on iTunes back when I used iTunes and bought single tracks. iTunes organized them in pretty much the same way I organize my CDs. The use this format:

…/artist name/album name/track name (with track number)

With Roon you can be even simpler if you want. But, at the very least, album tracks need to be kept together in their own directory.

IMHO, a lifetime subscription to Roon is the #1 most important upgrade to my system I have ever made. BY FAR!!

2 Likes

Yes, ok we are in agreement, that is the point I was trying to make.

I agree with the Christmas thing. I wish Roon would allow you to filter by genre. I usually shuffle my library, and would love to exclude any Holiday genre, unless it’s December or whatever, or maybe Classical, if on that day, I’m not in the mood for Classical. But, it’s not a huge issue for me, just as minor tweak that would better my musical experience.

It sounds that you, like me, make decisions on a products value over its cost. And, IMHO, Roon is overstuffed with value. And if you get the Lifetime, it’s quite inexpensive. If you use it for 25 years, that is only $20 a year. And, although I am 68, I hope to be using it in 25 years. But, if it is ever taken away from me, THAT might kill me!!

3 Likes

Er, you can filter by genre and exclude (for example) Christmas… But this only works at an album level - genres only apply at an album level and not at a track level in Roon - is that what you’re looking for?

No, Qobuz doesn’t offer everything I want, but everyday it adds to it’s availability. But Qobuz makes it so easy to explore music similar to what I already have, that I have added well over 30,000 albums to ,y Roon streaming library. IMHO, the Roon/Qobuz integration is unbeatable. It allows seamless integration of the vast Qobuz library with what I already have on my hard drive. Currently, my hard drive has about 105,000 songs, and I have a total library with Qobuz of about 482,000. The Roon factor allows me to stream or grab from my hard drive seamlessly. My listening pleasure is now far better than at any point in the last 68 years, and keeps getting better each and every day. I love you, Roon. I love you Qubuz. But I love you even more as a couple!

Oooooh, you are almost as eclectic as I am. You even have John Fahey. Love that Takoma Park, MD native.

I’ll listen to most things if it’s good and Roon has made that so much easier for me. You also have to have music to please the outlaws and such ready to hand…

1 Like

And, I don’t even get the folders complaint. Roon perfectly mimics my folder structure, namely artist (or composer for classical), followed by alum, followed by tracks. I find my music the same way in Roon.

IMHO, Roon did not lose anything by losing you. They know that no matter what they offer, it can never be right for everyone. So, they have decided to target the package to a target group that they think works best for them. If Roon is good and fine for a particular person, good and fine. If it isn’t, good and fine. No skin off the back, as they are doing very well without you. I hold no malice towards you, and hope you find something that leads you to that musical experience you want, but I also thing you have too lofty of an opinion about your importance.

2 Likes

One of the few things I strongly wish for is the ability to edit metadata for any song or album in the library. AND, one that is easy to use.