Last day of Trial - and Roon has dropped the ball on a few fronts

I no longer organize my music. When I changed the computer and external drive used as the Roon core I dumped everything into one folder and got rid of my previous folder structure (which had become unwieldy and disorganized over the years). Roon has no problems with this, so I’m guessing you’re doing something wrong if you think it requires a folder structure.

It is asinine to think any software should be tailored to you. Survival dictates that it be tailored towards the masses. Sorry, but to any software developer, you are insignificant, as am I. They ALL only care about the masses, as they should. Yes, I can suggest changes, but unless they think the changes would benefit most of its users, it would be suicidal to implement them.

1 Like

Roon + Qobuz = Musical Nirvana

I totally disagree, although I respect your opinion. IMHO, the forum is for those Roon users to input ideas about how to improve Roon. The OP, as he has decided to not subscribe to Roon, doesn’t care if Roon improves or not. He is only angrily venting his dislike of Roon. IMHO, THAT is totally inappropriate for the forum. You disagree, obviously, and that’s okay, bro. Love ya anyway!!

2 Likes

As @Geoff_Coupe said:

Tried Plex, and thought it was a total joke for a true music enthusiast.

1 Like

I edit Meta Data all the time, but it could be easier. Allowing to add more roles per artist in one go would be nice.

Your complaining reminds me someone wishing a Twinky would have more fiber.

It is what it is and does what it does better than anything else. It wont get you to the Moon but if your trying to manage a personal music library, it is second to none.

2 Likes

What an excellent idea! That would provide a great excuse for having them for breakfast, especially since they’ve now brought back the original banana-creme filling. Fruit and fiber!

It’s Twinkie…

1 Like

I disagree. For managing a personal music library J River is far better, you can have an arbitrary number of views of arbitrary complexity, including folders if you wish, to suit your way of browsing and searching music. The search is superb. I would never use Roon for just my own collection. Where Roon scores for me is the integration with Qobuz, and to some extent the album and artist information.

2 Likes

You couldn’t pay me to use JRiver…I really dislike the UI and how it works. I’d rather use the latest Audirvana.

2 Likes

Horses for courses. One of jRiver’s unique strengths is its ability to manipulate huge libraries using expression scripts (even regex). Another is that it’s UI is almost infinitely customisable.
The backside of the medal is its comparatively steep learning curve.

So if one does not need those features, I can well imagine something else being more suited.

I use Roon for playback in a lean back way. jRiver for keeping my library in order in a lean forward way. I wouldn’t want to be without either one, and I do need both.

4 Likes

Does “outlaws” come with Glossary of terms it’s a bit British

Couldn’t agree more, the ability to apply expression is magic. Roon does it other ways but you still have no control

In JRIver you literally room your own

The UI sucks but I only use it for maintenance any DLNA control point soft warehouse interprets it

I simply run both

1 Like

Ok… The In-Laws then…

I translated but I wonder how some our non English fared :laughing:

1 Like

I’m going to head a slightly different direction on this thread. Having skimmed through most of it (so apologies in advance if this was covered), I think there is a basic acknowledgment that there is “work” to be done when digitizing CD’s.

This work can be done on the front end of the process in creating folder structures and other system level views to manage and categorize, or it can be done on the back end using various metadata. Either way, there is work to be done.

The real issue (which I originally had) is that when you first switch to Roon from anything else, you have to do work TWICE. I already did a bunch of work pre-Roon to build folder structures that I understood and could manage and made sense to me. Once I switched to Roon, I had to “redo” significant chunks of that work to make the metadata complete enough to accomplish the same goals.

The gut reaction to having to do this is simply human nature; I switched, and it’s now more effort than before. How is this better than what I already have? Depending on how much investment you have in your pre-existing digital organizational structures, this could be a pretty big punch in the gut.

At the end of the day, for me, I could see the potential for doing things in Roon that I couldn’t do with my folder organization schemes, so I bit the bullet and moved on. I can easily see others making the opposite choice.

5 Likes

Yes - I can readily accept that this is the case for many. I was lucky, I had the simple Artist/Album structure for a long time already, so the step to Roon was relatively simple.

But, you’re right, many have their own way of doing things, and the hurdle of moving to the Roon way of doing things simply isn’t worth the effort.

I’m lazy…seldom touch anything metadata related. Used jriver for a number of years…tried roon, bit the lifer bullet and haven’t looked back…that was a little over 3 years ago. With tidal added I have even less inclination to finish ripping a few hundred cd’s I still have…laziness comes to the table again, or maybe at nearly 60 I just can’t find a good enough reason to rip music from 35-15 years ago as I probably wouldn’t listen to a lot of it now anyway.

1 Like