Latest Roon misidentifies device capabilities after installation

Yes I understand that and would be feeling like that myself. I have seen PS Audio selling DSD256 and those files are enormous.
I have never personally seen a site selling DSD512, but I imagine you are talking about 10GB per album, as the DSD128 albums I have were about 2 to 2.5GB each :thinking:

Yes, slightly annoying, and storage is cheap these days.

NativeDSD even sells DSD1024 albums (all 10 of them, including samplers :smiley: ) although I have to wonder if there is any practical reason for that.

:see_no_evil: how big are they :flushed:

They don’t seem to show file sizes until you buy them, but pretty huge I imagine. One DSD256 album I got from is 14.6GB.

1 Like

Wow and yes I the 2.5GB was zipped as I just checked.
The Zuiil Bailey Bach Cello Suites Volume 1 is 5GB as DSD128, so glad I replaced my 2TB spinning drive with a 4TB SSD :wink:

1 Like

I am not planning on doing much DSP or anything, so I’ve put my Roon on a 5-bay NAS, still have ~8TB to fill, and I didn’t even use up all bays yet :slight_smile:

1 Like

What is the Rose plugged into? And how is it plugged into that device.

From what Boris said previously, it’s on a 1Gb Ethernet switch.
It’s an all in one Streaming Amp so it doesn’t need anything but Roon

The Rose 250 is not an amp and the rest of the audio path makes a difference. If the Rose is going Analog out and being the DAC in the equation then yes, something else is up, however, if the Rose is plugged into another DAC (which is one of its use cases as a streamer only), then, what it is plugged into (and how) makes a difference.

2 Likes

No, it doesn’t make a difference.
Using RAAT it’s limited to DSD256 in every case:

Output is here anslogue:

And using here a DSD256 source:

And least (the only one I’ve) a source with DSD512:

While playing this, you can also see the signal path in the Rose app:

and here the source will shown as DSD256.

Playing the same album from local disc (without using RAAT), you’ll get DSD512:

and

So: Before answering, please make shure, that you know the right answer…

Ah I was looking at the spec for the 520 and not the 250 :rofl:
Silly to make them a type away from each other :flushed::see_no_evil:

1 Like

Right :slight_smile: (I do have a 520 on order, for another room, but that appears few months away).

As mentioned, the 250 is a streamer/preamp, the 520 is an integrated amplifier with streaming.

In any case it should not matter as I am using analog outputs from the Rose (if I wanted to use an external DAC, I’d just grab some old laptop that costs 1/10th of what RS250 does and can output USB as well as anything else, plus has a real keyboard).

I guess at this point I just want Rose to confirm what it can or can not do (I guess I could always get an internal SSD for it if I really wanted to listen to something in DSD512. But it is strange as they will take 32/768 which has pretty much same bandwidth requirements as DSD512…

1 Like

No, 768 kHz means DSD256 DoP…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.