Let’s talk about what’s Moving and Grooving you today? [2022-12]

22 Likes

@killdozer I had to go find this one as well (Jah Son of Africa). Also well worth the effort. Hope you’re still having fun!

1 Like

Oh yes :slight_smile:

7 Likes

@killdozer I had to find this one as well. Still trying to keep up with you! :+1:

1 Like

At home I always go for the second option but nobody is here to tell me to turn it down :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Well this is likely to keep me in music until the evening’s out now…

6 Likes

12 Likes

@killdozer I’m happy to report that one’s on Qobuz!

From AllMusic:

Dennis Alcapone Biography

by Jo-Ann Greene

He wasn’t the first – U-Roy wasn’t nicknamed “the Originator” for nothing – but in Jamaica in the early '70s, Dennis Alcapone was part of a triumvirate of toasters, alongside U-Roy and Big Youth, who ruled the island. Crashing out of the sound systems and onto the airwaves like a tidal wave, this trio of talent was responsible for bringing the art of DJing to never before imagined heights. U-Roy was first off the starting block, releasing his debut single in 1969. But in his shadow, the young Dennis Smith was readying to follow suit. Born in Clarendon, Jamaica, on August 6, 1947, a move to Kingston and a name change were the first order of business. Then, with friends Lizzy and Samuel the First, Alcapone set up the El Paso Hi-Fi sound system in 1969. Its success was legendary, its popularity virtually unrivaled in its day. As the new decade dawned, the DJ recorded his first singles, both for Niney Holness and Rupie Edwards. Filling the platters with rhyming chatter – catchphrases, exuberant exclamations, bouncing off the original lyrics – while never losing step with the beats, Alcapone’s unique singsong style immediately caught the public’s attention.

1 Like

This band is so good!

5 Likes

Close your eyes and it could just about be eighties Nightranger redux.

5 Likes

5 Likes

I’ve never noticed the lack of pick until you mentioned it! Just watching a show from 1998 and not a pick in sight.

1 Like

@Enough he uses the Chet Atkins fingerpicking style of play:

I’m not for sure which guitar he was using on that particular “Big Love” performance, but he’ll often use his Gibson Chet Atkins CE. Here’s a nice article on his guitar collection:

Edit: when I said he only uses a pick when forced to in the studio, sometimes they’ll want a nice, smooth strum across all the strings, and that’s done much easier and cleanly with a pick.

2 Likes

6 Likes

Things are looking up at Chateau Rimmer.
We had a power outage a couple days ago but I have been a little busy so not worried about no Arc.
But tonight I was able to talk Mrs.Rimmer through restarting my Roon Core…which is something I’m still in shock over😁
Roon Arc is restored.

8 Likes

Women folk hey.

My lovely lady called me the other day saying her works laptop wouldn’t turn on. Have you plugged in the charger. No, oh that’ll be why.

You have a keeper for sure.

4 Likes

7 Likes

Just too good!

10 Likes

RoonShareImage-638055177909568180

11 Likes

Pretty sure I have that somewhere too…

1 Like