Library continually scanning and deleting tracks

I successfully did a scan of my library and the total number of albums showed as 7620, Roon is now continually scanning my library and the total number of tracks scanned is decreasing. These tracks are shown as deleted under “Clean Up Files” but the total number of albums and tracks in overview has not changed. Why are these tracks being deleted and continually scanned?

Thanks for reaching out, @John_Scott1!

So we can better understand what you’re experiencing here, may I kindly ask that you please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

• Is this behavior new? When did you notice it start? Was there any change to your setup around when this behavior started happening?
  • Have you tried rebooting your Core machine, media storage location, and networking hardware since noticing this behavior?

Thanks!
Dylan

Hi Dylan,

Thanks for the prompt response. Before I detail my setup etc as you suggest, would it be worthwhile me rebooting everything first?

I am very new to Roon (trying out a Nucleus +), I have previously rebooted the Nucleus and that resulted in a complete library rescan. Does that happen on each reboot?

Hey @John_Scott1 — Thanks for the info!

No, the library should not automatically rescan on each reboot.

As mentioned above, can you provide some additional setup and networking information?

Where is the library stored and how is this connected to the Nucleus? Can you share a screenshot of Settings > Storage so I can take a look?

Thanks!
Dylan

Running build 339 on Nucleus +

Library stored on Synology DS216+ NAS, networked CIA Ethernet over power.

Room 1: Spectra DAC connected directly to Nucleus+ via usb

Room 2: raspberry pi / ropieeee / Allo Boss DAC via Ethernet over power.

Following a complete library scan, the Nucleus + was rebooted which resulted in a complete rescan. I added a couple of new sub folders to the new folder which seems to have resulted in the “backwards” scan, deleting the tracks.

Audio analysis scan from the original library scan is still running. Currently showing 7680/90839 (the second number is slowing reducing also.

Thanks for the info, @John_Scott1!

I’d like to enable some diagnostics on your account so we can take a look at what you’re experiencing here. Before I do this, may I ask that you please do the following:

• Reboot your Core machine.
  • Start up Roon and let the spinner go for ~5 minutes.
  • Reboot your Core machine once more.
  • Start up Roon and let the spinner go for another ~5 minutes.

This should allow the team to gain some insight into what you’re experiencing in the report. Once you’ve done this let me know the timestamps and I’ll enable diagnostics on your account. When the diagnostics report is uploaded I’ll send it over to our team for analysis.

Regards,
Dylan

1st reboot 19.41 (UK time)

2nd reboot: 19.48

Thanks, @John_Scott1!

I’ve enabled diagnostics on your account and will be passing it along to the team for analysis. I’ll be sure to update you as soon as I receive their feedback.

-Dylan

Thanks, Dylan.

Hey @John_Scott1,

I wanted to reach out because I’ve been keeping an eye on our servers, waiting for the aforementioned diagnostics report.

For some reason it is not reaching our servers, even after I tried re-enabling diagnostics on your account. I also ran a quick test and I was able to submit a similar report from my setup here, so something else is going on.

So we can move forward, I was hoping for now you could use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link.

Thanks,
Dylan

Hi @dylan

Stupid noobie question: Where do I find logs on Nucleus?

Hey @John_Scott1,

On Windows it would be \\NUCLEUS\ or \\[IP ADDRESS]\

On Mac it would be smb://NUCLEUS/ or smb://[IP ADDRESS]/

Those will allow you to access the Nucleus’ internal storage. From there you can find the log folders as mentioned here and send them on over.

Thanks!
Dylan

Hi @dylan
Link as requested:

Thanks, @John_Scott1.

The logs have been passed along to the team for analysis. I’ll be sure to update you as soon as I receive feedback from the team.

Regards,
Dylan

Thanks Dylan. Not sure if the reboot has cleared the issue. Library scanned last night and is scanning again now. Does Roon scan regularly for changes or just when something has been added or deleted?

Ah, tracks deleting again so reboot did not fix.

Hey @John_Scott1,

The team has analyzed the diagnostics report and I wanted to reach out to you with their findings.

It appears that there may be some networking difficulties at play here that is causing Roon to have trouble communicating with the media storage location. So we can better understand how everything is communicating, can you please describe your network topology, including all networking hardware in use (routers, switches, etc.) and how these devices are connected?

Thanks!
Dylan

Hi Dylan,

Synology DS 216+ NAS wired directly to BT Home Hub router via Ethernet cable.

Ethernet-over-power plug also wired to router via Ethernet cable.

Nucleus + connected via Ethernet-over-power plug.

Thanks for the update, @John_Scott1.

Occasionally we’ve seen Ethernet-over-power adapters be a little unreliable in their connection. As a test, can you try connecting the Nucleus via Ethernet directly to the router? When you do so is there any change to the behavior you’re seeing?

Thanks,
Dylan

Hi @dylan, just wanted to clarify something you said above. The library (all watched folders) always rescans (for me, running ROCK) when Roon Server is restarted, either manually after being stopped, or after a reboot at start up. Are you saying it should not? Audio Analysis only reacts to new items in the library, if any are found during a scan.