Library disappearing one album at a time over and over again

So far so good. Still monitoring! :confused:

@Mind_Meld thanks for the update. Iā€™ve been on the road the past few days so not sure if mine is also stable. Will be interested to see how that last tip is working when I get back!

Guys (@Mind_Meld, @John_Hunt), what version of OS X you are using ?

@vova Iā€™m running El Capitan 10.4.

I noticed this exact behavior on 10.11.5 with the problems in that OS update with SMB. I never had it with 10.11.4, however.

Has anyone tried using smbup as an alternative to the Mac implementation of smb?

Also, Airport Extreme f/w was updated to v7.7.7 within the past day or two.

@vova I give up. No suggestion works. roon just keeps adding my library and removing it. Over and over and over again. It is stuck in some sort of rescanning loop. Roon has now been unusable for going on 3 plus weeks. Please provide some formal help from Roon support propper for this issue. Roon is great when it works, but I have had to default to other playback software on numerous occasions while it is glitchy, slow, buggy etc.

In addition I also usually have to force rescan my library on SMB NAS to replace library updatesā€¦

Havenā€™t had a drop-off recently for whatever reason. What router are you using? And what method are you using to point at your media library on the NAS?

@Mind_Meld, Iā€™m using an Asus rt-n66u router. Iā€™m sorry, I donā€™t totally understand your second question. Iā€™m pointing at the NAS via a watched folder using the various smb paths suggested in this thread over ethernet. The most recent path in use is the \nasname\music Iā€™m guessing you are looking for an additional piece of info. The router is on the latest firmware and the synology is similarly fully updated.

@John_Hunt Are you sure youā€™re running 10.11.4 and not 10.11.5? Like I said, this sounds exactly like the behavior I had after the last OS update with SMB-mounted volumes on my NAS. Just making sure.

Oh I was just wondering if you were using an SMB Network Path or ā€œ\ā€ path, under Network Folder, or if you referenced a path under iTunes Libraries. I used to have better luck with one of these methods in monitoring changes to my libraries which has also been spotty for me lately.

@vova @mike: Second chance, does somebody from Roon support want to provide some help? Issue persists. I am paying you for software that doesnā€™t work. This isnā€™t a beta product. I have tried all suggestions provided so generously by the community, but nothing has worked. This is a full release. I have not been able to consistently use this for weeks now. Every time my library finally finishes scanning and adding music. The album count rewinds back to zero and rebuilds again. I very much appreciate the help and support of everybody here who has worked to provide help, but no solution has been found. It is time for somebody on your staff to step in and fix this.

Hi John,
Iā€™ll leave a flag for @Brian as well

Hello @John_Hunt, please, accept my apologies for slow response here. Would you mind to describe your network setup in details:

• What router are you using? When did you last update the firmware?
  • Is there any other networking hardware involved?
  • Is everything wired, wireless, or is there a mix of wired and wireless gear?

In the meantime Iā€™ll contact you via PM with details how to send us Roon logs.

Thanks for your patience

@vova thanks for the help. Logs have been sent. In detail:

Late 2012 Mac Mini with 8gb Ram, 128gb SSD and OSX 10.11.4
Nas Synology DS413 running the latest version of DSM 6.0 Build 6 and set with static IP last updated a week ago
Router: Asus RT-N66u firmware fully updated, last updated 2 days ago
TP-link powerline adaptor firmware updated yesterday, and a TP-link 4 port switch

Network Path: The Mac Mini is hooked to the 4 port switch then to the powerline adaptor via cat 6 cable. the nas is hardwired into the router also via cat 6 cable. I have tried moving the Mac Mini off of the powerline adaptor into the other room and hardwiring directly to the router to see if that made any difference but it didnā€™t seem to. I have also tried removing the 4 port switch and running straight into the powerline adaptor. I tried to isolate the variables on the network as much as I could. Though Roon seems to be the only issue. Can stream video without issue, and stream audio through JRIver without issue. Totally open to there being a hardware or config issue on my end, but Iā€™m not sure how to ID it at this point.

Wifi on the Mac is disabled. Time Machine is disabled.

Let me know if you need additional info.

Hey @John_Hunt,

Thanks for the info. Weā€™ve looked into your logs, unfortunately they arenā€™t very useful. Due to library size and issue frequency these logs contain only traces related to file import.

Here is what I suggest to do:
First letā€™s try to start from scratch, to make sure that issue isnā€™t happening because of the broken install:

1. Locate your Roon folder
  2. Rename it to something like Roon_old
  3. Reinstall Roon from our website
  4. Login and add back a Watched Folder (do not add the whole library, just 10-20k tracks)

This is just temporary ā€“ youā€™ll be able to go back to your main Roon install soon, but if your issue is resolved this way, we know this is related to your installation, as opposed to something environmental.

Second, if clean install results in the same issue, letā€™s try to remove all ā€˜unnecessaryā€™ elements from the network chain and create a ā€œMac Mini - NASā€ connection:

1. Assign static IP to your Mac Mini
  2. Assign static IP to your NAS (Iā€™m aware thatā€™s already static :slight_smile: )
  3. Connect them using Ethernet cable
  4. Launch Roon
  5. Check if the problem persists

Also, make sure that you arenā€™t using port aggregation, jumbo packets and firewalls.

Let us know how the testing goes.

Thanks!

@vova. Thanks for the advice will try and report back.

Hey @vova. Things have been stable for the last 4 days with the new install and the scaled down watched folder. Going to try to scan the whole library now on the new install and see if things remain stable.

OK, let us know how things are going after adding the whole library.

Cheers,
Vova