Library rescan not happening on my roon core

Roon Core Machine

I am running Roon 2.0 on a Synology 1817+
CPU: Intel Atom C2538 4 core 2.4Ghz
8gb of RAM
Running Dsm 7.1.1-42962 Update 4

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Data switch: Dell Power Edge 2816 16 port managed gigabit switch.
Router is a Linksys WRT3200ACM

Connected Audio Devices

Raspberry Pi running a Hifi Berry Dac2 HD board
I have numerous phones and tablets I interface with Roon. I also have my PC which is a win10 machine that is my DAW I use for sampling my records.

Number of Tracks in Library

78,000 give or take

Description of Issue

Everything is working fantastic; but for some reason when I add new files to the library I have to force a rescan; it does not seem to find these albums on there own. I am a big vinyl guy so I am constantly ripping vinyl records from my collection and adding them to the library. Believe it or not I started this process in 1998 and I am now 69% done with my collection. I think I calculated I got 2 or 3 years left to completion at my current pace.

Now the way that I structure my folders in my watch folder is as followed
Band Name > Album Name > Artwork
The music files all go in the Album Name folder. I populate all my ID tags and even photograph the albums covers, vinyl, inserts, ect…

Roon finds all these things for me beautifully; but I have to constantly ask it to go out there and pull it in by forcing a rescan. Why will it not do this without me hitting the rescan button? I have left it days at a time to see how long it takes and it seems like short of forcing a rescan or restarting Roon on the Synology its not really watching the folders like I would expect. Is there something I am missing?
Thanks,
Ed

Hi Ed., My guess is that your NAS is underpowered for your core, especially with a medium to large (growing) collection.

What will happen if Roon Server runs on a slower CPU (such as Atom or Celeron)?

Roon Server uses a lot more CPU than any other audio software. You can read about why we have a Core and why it requires so much more CPU than other software here. While Roon Server may work on these slower CPUs, consequences of running on them potentially include:

1. Stuttering or dropouts in audio playback

2. Slow response for searching

3. Slow loading of artist, album, composer, and work pages

4. Longer startup and connection times for remotes

5. Slower audio analysis for normalization/crossfading/other

6. Slower import of new music

Overall, the experience will not be as good as it can be. You can fix this by running on a better-suited CPU, such as an Intel Core i3 or i5.

Full details here:-

I don’t think I have any of that going on here; because of resources. I don’t do anything with room correction. The only thing that I have Roon doing to the signal in each area is auto volume leveling so when roon radio kicks out a random louder track it does not push my speakers into the danger zone.

I did some experimenting this morning and tried the following. While monitoring the Roon Server service on the synology console. I proceeded to start audio streams up on my end points. First was my phone playing to my bluetooth headset I use while working. (I know gasp bluetooth lossy transport medium); I then started a 24bit 96Khz flac on my win 10 workstation in roon playing to my audio interface and finally down in the sound room I fired up another 24bit96Khz flac album. So I had all three zones all playing all at once. I let this go on for about 30-45 minutes while I watched the processor time on the Roon server service. It never went over 4% on the Roon server service on the Synology. With other services running; I might have seen total CPU utilization at 15%. I will say I see that Roon server core is memory intensive using close to 3gb of ram. So my total ram used is around 48-50% while the roon server service is running. I am good with that currently as the system has a total of 8gb installed.

When I attempted to transfer my phone endpoint audio stream to the sound room end point; I saw a short spike in CPU up to 90% while that transfer was being done on the synology console. But I have been getting no audio drop outs; everything sounds clean and tight. I sometimes play different music in two different zones at a time and never had any issues. I could see how if I was grouping end points together that would be processor intense on the core.

I don’t like grouping zones because I discovered early on that if you have auto leveling turned on and you group zones together; it turns this feature off. I hope they fix that at some point.

Last night when I asked it to rescan the library for changes it found all 4 of my latest recordings in a matter of less than 10 minutes. Put everything in the right place and all was well. I just don’t understand if the CPU isn’t being worked hard, how I am out of resources? I am just surprised that its not picking these files up on its own in a 24 hour rotation at some point.

Lord knows I have spent money on gear over the years and if I can justify it; I would replace the synology as a core in a second. Going down to one zone playing while I type this the roon server typically is utilizing less than 1% of the total CPU.

Not sure how often it is set to rescan on your system but check your setting to see how quickly rescan is set, it can be as quick as every hour to as long as every 24hrs.

Ok ignore what I said above as I see you have left it days and it does not show.

Maybe, if you’re happy to “have a go” load roon core on your Win10 machine & try that to prove if there’s a NAS problem. It’s not a major task to migrate cores but it depends how keen you are to get to the bottom of the issue.

More migration info can be found at:-

A search for Synology might be helpful, for example…

Mar '19

I started life with Roon using a five year old Synology 1513+ which according to Roon was woefully below spec with only a two core Atom processor. It worked just fine and sounded great. But once my library grew to over 1,000 albums, it started to get slow switching from playlists or songs, or adding new albums to the library. It always played fine. The remote just became sluggish.

Have you tried removing the watched folder and then adding it again?

1 Like

When I look at my storage this is what I see:

I know it says 1515+ but that was just because the volume that houses the music started life in a 1515+ back in 2015. That unit and the original drives that started the volume are all but a distant memory. This is running on my 1817+ quad core atom. But here is the weird thing; unlike your screen you show above @RodS I don’t have that option in my storage screen to set of change the interval. Its suppose to be continually scanning. If I have to hit the rescan button its not the end of the world. I just think its strange.

After I put it out for Roon to pick it up; I have done so much critical listening of the piece; I am happy to listen to other things in my library for the sake of variety. For every hour of needle time; it seems I spend 2 hours between edits, tagging and taking pictures of the album inserts ect… If you have ever heard a properly setup vinyl rig and / or a really good rip. Something very rewarding about doing it. Especially since I already own the records. My nephew asked me about getting into vinyl and I told him to run the other way. But that is purely because of the prices these days; he can get better value for his money with CDs at a second hand shop.

That’s because your paths are setup differently, the “scan interval” option is only available for network shares. Compare the path to yours. More information at ….

It’s irritating when something isn’t working correctly but how much time do you want to spend chasing the problem? :thinking:

Is the “music” folder above clickable to open any options ?

You only get it on network shares. His isn’t one as it’s local to the NAS.

I take it you have restarted the NAS as part of debugging? If not I would recommend. I have had my Roon core on ROCK stop monitoring on the odd update a full reboot sorted it.

@Simon_Arnold3 Good point, I looked last restarted was over a month ago; I want to say I have taken at least two Roon updates since then. Maybe its that simple? We shall see. I will record some more music this weekend and I will see what happens if I leave it to find it on its own in the music folder.

This is what I see before I click the three dots on the right on the path and hit edit.

Also, when I went into Roon tonight it wanted to updated from 1234 to 1244; after I did the restart on the synology; it started asking about the 1244 update. I wonder if something was stuck. You can see its currently scanning in the screen shot and I did not push the button to force it. So this is a bit interesting. How can I tell when the latest build was released? I see that 1244 is the most current.
Ed

Build 1244 was released just today.

1 Like

When a new build is released, there is always a new post in the Software Release Notes category of the forum. You can set to be notified of new posts here by choosing the “Watching” option from the category menu.

So I have recorded several additional records and waited several days and Roon never discovered the music on its own in the monitored folders. So this AM after completing a fourth album I decided lets just restart the Roon service on the server and see what happens inside the DSM interface for my Synology.

I verified before starting this process by opening Roon remote and looking at recent activity to verify the last time I saw an album update was 6 days ago. I then stopped the Roon Server Service and waited about a minute or two and turned it back on. I continued to wait for my Roon Remote client to reconnect to my server instance. When it did; I can see the blue circle and if I click on Home I can see the following:

So it appears that for what ever reason its not actively monitoring the folder once the program is running; only at start up or if I request it to scan the library for changes manually.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.