Library seemingly complitly empty over night

Roon Core Machine

QNAP NAS (recommend setup with DB on separate SSD)
Roon v 2.0 build 1148

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

around 36000 tracks

Description of Issue

Was setting up Roon yesterday and everything seemed to be perfect. The scan of my music files, ARC setup, everything went just fine and smooth.
Today than the big surprise: there are no more albums in my library, no tracks, nothing.
I restarted the roon core. Nothing changed.
I tried to force rescan the paths of my library. Didn’t change anything.
I tried to remove a folder from and to add the folder again. Didn’t change nothing.
Basically everything seems to be fine beside the fact that my library is empty.
Any suggestions?

Please have a read through the thread I link below as it might be relevant for you:

Thanks for your fast reply.
Renaming my folders and than adding them might help. But Roon is not the only service accessing these locations. So that feels bad.

In addition I have found out, that there is a “Clean up library” option. In the dialog is a option to “Clean up 36656 deleted files. These files have been deleted via Roon, from the filesystem…”
But it’s so not true! I did not delete them and neigher from Roon nor from my filesystem. Thanks god they are sound and healthy.

The most compatible and working for most users so far, workaround from the thread I linked is to add your music library as network share instead of as a local folder – no renaming of folders needed for that.

Because Roon can no longer see those files for some reason (looks the same as they got deleted). Roon never deletes your files on its own. Why should Roon do that anyway? Your statement “These files have been deleted via Roon, from the filesystem…” doesn’t make sense.

add your music library as network share instead of as a local folder

Thank you again! I will try that!

Your statement “These files have been deleted via Roon, from the filesystem…” doesn’t make sense.

I was quoting the Roon Dialog
Screenshot 2022-11-17 at 12.17.54

Fresh start! Cheers, Frank

For your peace of mind , Roon will never edit or adjust your files in any way.

The Roon database holds references to your files , the Clean Up May delete these references , IF YOU ALLOW IT , but the actual files will remain untouched. If you edit metadata you do so in this database NOT in the files. In fact for compatibility with other music players you are better to edit the actual file external to Roon then let Roon “catch up”

The ONLY exception is if you chose Delete in an Album > Edit , you will be asked to confirm deletion . If it’s a Tidal/Qobuz album, the Favourite flag is removed

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.