Linn DSM not showing up

Roon Core Machine

Nucleus +

Server Software: Version 2.0 (build 1244) production
Roon Labs Software: Version 1.0 (build 14) production.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Wired Ethernet from Netgear Router into English Electric 8Switch

Connected Audio Devices

Linn Klimax DSM & Linn Selekt DSM Edition

Number of Tracks in Library

56200 Tracks

Description of Issue

All Linn DSM’s show up as Linn Streaming / Airplay rather than Roon Ready. Have been searching here for a solution, while others appear to be having the same issue, I have seen no resolution. Anybody fixed this?

Only Linn could fix that by making the DSM Roon Ready but they haven’t:

From the Linn docs wiki:

https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Linn_DS/DSM_control#ROON

From the Roon Partners page - all listed as Roon Tested, not Roon Ready:

https://roon.app/en/partners/48/linn

You must address this to Linn, I guess

Thanks for that, What I should have said is that they no longer shows up as 'Roon Tested; as they used to…

OK, oh well :slight_smile: No idea about that. The docs say to disable the Airplay, if that’s not enough I guess you need a Linn owner to help out

1 Like

Indeed. Thank you though

1 Like

Check / fix the Roon setting “Subnet for Linn Streaming”.
Reboot everything including router, switches, Nucleus and Linn.

I modified the thread title for you.

I use a Linn KDS and a Majik DSM. Every few months one or the other will suddenly show as only being available via Airplay. A reboot of the offending DS(M) has, so far, always fixed the problem for me.

Michael

Suggestions from long experience with Linn DSMs + Roon:

• “Linn streaming” is the connection method you want. It has to be enabled by setting “subnet for Linn streaming” in Roon settings. That subnet must be the one that your DSM(s) are on. In my case, I have virtual dual-homing (for Tailscale) and I must make sure the subnet is the LAN where the DSM is, not the virtual WAN.
  • Linn DSMs don’t get along with some managed network switches. Linn themselves recommend cheap Netgear unmanaged switches, which work. UniFi Flex Mini also works (although it’s managed). I currently use some refurb Cisco pro switches for their optical ports, but that’s not necessary.
  • When Roon core is powered off for some reason, sometimes it does not re-discover the DSM. Power-cycle the DSM with the core up.
  • The long-standing bug where Roon and the DSM got out of sync at the end of an album or playlist seems to have been fixed a while ago.
1 Like

Thanks Michael, I seem to have solved the problem. I moved the Nucleus and DSM ethernet connections to the same switch and they started showing up correctly. Shouldn’t make a difference as they were on the same network but it does!

2 Likes

Thank you, makes sense. I moved everything to the same switch which fixed the issue.

1 Like

That’s how I had mine for a while, although currently I have core and DSM on different switches successfully. Why it works with some switches and network topologies and not others is beyond my limited networking expertise.

Do you mean you use more than one switch? Besides the switch stated in post #1, what is the model of the other switch? Or do you mean one device was connected to the router?

What model of Netgear router are you using?

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.