Live radio - regularly interrupted

Hi All,

I had a ZOOM meeting with Ralph on Tuesday. That was awesome and just overwhelming. He spend about an hour with me with the aim to find out what might be wrong. Unfortunately we couldn’t solve the issue. Ralph, a big thank you for your efforts and this wonderful conversation. Really very much appreciated.

If have to admit, it’s frustrating. I’m just listening to my Live Radio and it is still interrupting every now and again. It is frustrating because I spend about 2.500 EUR for a software and the required hardware only. With the expectation to get something special that I have expected is also performing well. But it isn’t!

I don’t know how to proceed. Could anybody from ROON speak with me and potentially log on to my computer in order to have a look at my settings. I still presume that it might need to fix some minor details only and then I’m back to normal.

Hi @Juergen_Freund1,

Thank you for your patience in awaiting a staff response. @Ralph_Burns, thank you for your heroic efforts to assist here, as well.

We’ve pulled logs from your account and come to a few conclusions.

1. There are cyclical errors attempting playback via RAATServer to your MacBook Pro endpoint. This device isn’t listed as a Remote in your setup, so are you able to clarify how it fits into your setup?

In the meantime, let’s refresh RAATServer to reset conditions in Roon by taking the following steps:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon database so you do not lose any custom DSP, Zone selections, etc.
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RAATServer”
  • Rename the “RAATServer” folder to “RAATServer_old”
  • Restart the Roon App to generate a new RAATServer folder
  1. Do you have any additional network hardware in your setup, like managed switches or a second router? We’re curious how both the Core and the Meitner MA3 streamer are connected. Are they both relying on ethernet, or is the Core connected via Wi-Fi?

2. Diagnostics indicate the iPad and iPhone in your setup are refusing to connect to the Core around the time that radio playback stops. Similarly, upstream requests to Qobuz’ servers fail around the same time. If you enter your router’s web administration page, there should be settings related to Multicast and IGMP Snooping. I recommend verifying that these settings are enabled.

We’ll proceed from there by pulling new diagnostics to compare, and then following up with additional steps. Thank you!

1 Like

Sorry guys not yet so familiar using the community communication. This was my reply by mail:

Dear Connor,

Unfortunately my problem has not been resolved.

Last night I had every now and again repeatedly these interruptions. It is really frustrating, as I finally stop listening. You don’t enjoy the music any longer with this kind of performance. I attach a hard copy (sorry, in German) that shows what Roon says.

IMG_0271.jpeg

I don’t know what to do. is there a chance that you join my computer and we go through all my setting in order to find the root cause for this problem?

I really appreciate to hearing from you again.

Best regards
Juergen

I can confirm. I have frequently hickups with live radio in our two houses with completely different setups.

Hi @Juergen_Freund1 ,

This is Noris from the support team, I am filling in for Connor while he is out of the office. I spoke to the team regarding your Roon logs and I do have some observations to share:

1. It looks like you have a Macbook Pro on the network that your Roon Core keeps trying to connect to, over and over again, but it doesn’t look like you have the Roon app installed on it. Was there a previous Roon install on your Macbook that you removed?
    It’s possible that you did not remove all of the Roon install and it keeps trying to connect to the previous Roon install. Can you try to turn off the Mac/disable Roon on it and see if the issues persist?

2. I tried to play the radio station that you were having issues with, and I could not reproduce any problems. It’s possible that the station itself had an issue when you tried, but more likely it is a networking issue somewhere.

3. You mentioned that your previous FritzBox was broken. Can you share more details on what was going wrong with it? Is it possible that the replacement router also has some issues?

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Dear Noris,

Most probably you have identified the source of the problem. I listend to Live Radio with and without my MacBook. Without I simply disconnected my MacBook from the WIFI connection. Thus, there was no interaction from the MacBook possible anymore. This is why I believe your advise was absolutely the right guidance. This might have happend because during my trial period I used my MacBook as the Core while I have with my lifetime license a PrimeMini as core.

Now, I want to make sure to „clean“ my MacBook completely and afterwards install ROON only to operate ROON. You know that I already did that before. However, as you pointed out I likely have not deleted/cleaned all of the ROON install. Therefore, do you have more detailed instructions for me to do so.

Noris, I was now really sad for a couple of months. Apparently you made it to clear that issue. I can’t tell you how grateful I am. THANK YOU!

Best regards

Juergen

1 Like

Hi @Juergen_Freund,

Here are instructions for performing a full database refresh on your MacBook:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon” and “RAATServer”
  • Rename “Roon” to “Roon_old” and “RAATServer” to “RAATServer_old”
  • Reinstall Roon from our Downloads Page

Happy to answer any other questions in the meantime.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 4 days. New replies are no longer allowed.