Roon Core Machine

Win 10 on Lenovo T480 Core i5 Gen8 16GB RAM
Dedicated to Roon, solid as a rock.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Linksys WRT1900ACS - 1000Mb fiber internet connection
Core connected with Gb LAN
Endpoints connected with 5Ghz wifi

Connected Audio Devices

I have two Argon Audio Solo that are supposed to be Roon ready.
One Argon outputting digital signal to Marantz amplifier DAC
The other Argon is using onboard DAC outputting to NAD amp.
Raspberry Pi 4 with Allo Piano hat. Used for testing and debugging.

Number of Tracks in Library

9400 tracks.
Primarily streaming from Tidal and Live radio.

Description of Issue

When streaming Live Radio (Danish national radio channels) to the Argon endpoints the stream stops after a short period of time. Usually 10 to 30 minutes.

I do not have the same issue when streaming to the RasPi/Allo endpoint.

This is part of what I can pick up in the log:

11/27 12:32:09 Trace: [Work Room] [LowQuality, 24/48 MP3 => 24/48] [100% buf] [PLAYING @ 21:52] ML Buch - Teen
11/27 12:32:10 Trace: [Living Room] [Lossless, 16/44 TIDAL FLAC => 16/44] [100% buf] [PLAYING @ 2:19/5:44] Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye - John Coltrane / Cole Porter
11/27 12:32:14 Trace: [Work Room] [LowQuality, 24/48 MP3 => 24/48] [100% buf] [PLAYING @ 21:56] ML Buch - Teen
11/27 12:32:14 Trace: [Argon Audio SOLO () @ 192.166.0.126:56136] [raatclient] GOT [33252] {"reason":{"reason":"source_deselected"},"status":"Lost"}
11/27 12:32:14 Trace: [Work Room] [zoneplayer/raat] Got 'lost' response
11/27 12:32:14 Trace: [Work Room] [zoneplayer/raat] Endpoint Argon Audio SOLO () State Changed: Playing => Idle
11/27 12:32:14 Trace: [Work Room] [zoneplayer/raat] lost endpoint. stopping stream
11/27 12:32:14 Info: [audio/env] [zoneplayer -> stream] All streams were disposed
11/27 12:32:14 Debug: [raat/tcpaudiosource] disconnecting
11/27 12:32:14 Warn: [zone Work Room] Track Stopped Due to LostEndpoint
11/27 12:32:14 Trace: Attempting to play channel URL: icy://live-icy.gss.dr.dk:8000/A/A29H.mp3
11/27 12:32:14 Info: [audio/env] [zoneplayer -> stream -> endpoint] All streams were disposed
11/27 12:32:14 Info: [zone Work Room] OnPlayFeedback StoppedLostEndpoint
11/27 12:32:14 Trace: [zone Work Room] Suspend
11/27 12:32:14 Info: [zone Work Room] OnPlayFeedback Stopped
11/27 12:32:14 Info: [zone Work Room] Canceling Pending Sleep
11/27 12:32:14 Info: [zone Work Room] Canceling Pending Sleep
11/27 12:32:14 Trace: [Work Room] [LowQuality, 24/48 MP3 => 24/48] [100% buf] [STOPPED @ 0:00] ML Buch - Teen
1 Like

Can anyone help me out here?

Well, the logs indicate that the endpoint is getting “lost”, which I would interpret to meaning “not responding”.

Try connecting the endpoint that drops the most via ethernet and see if that makes a difference. If there is no ethernet on the unit, try 2.4 instead of 5 wifi.

Hi Daniel
Thanks for the reply.
Unfortunately the endpoints do not have ethernet. I gave it a try on 2.4 but it didn’t make any difference.

However, I discovered something else. The Argon devices shows up in Roon as both AirPlay and Chromecast devices in addition to the Roon Ready device.
If I enable the Argon AirPlay device, and stream Live Radio to that, I don’t experience the issue.

To me it seems like it’s an issue with the Argon firmware.
I can also support this with another issue. The endpoints disappear occasionally as Roon Ready devices, while they are still operational as Airplay and Chromecast devices. Only way to get the Roon Ready device back is to recycle the power. Sometimes this happens daily. longest period without dropout until now is about 5 days.
I wrote Argon support about the issues but they did not reply yet.

I’m super annoyed about these issues and I’m in a dilemma if I should return them or use AirPlay as a workaround for now and hope for a solution, because otherwise I’m very satisfied with the products.
It also makes me wonder how devices get the Roon Ready branding. I guess you have some sort of quality assurance process on this?
Could you maybe reach out to Argon Audio about this?

1 Like

For the record: I experience similar problems with the Argon Audio Solo, too. The thread can be found here or linked in the first post.

My thoughts exactly!

1 Like

News from Argon Audio:

“We have identified an issue with the Roon live radio implementation in our SOLO product, and are working on providing a firmware fix ASAP.
Until that is ready, please refrain from using the live radio functionality in Roon on your SOLO product, as it seems to also generally destabilize the performance of the product.
We are very sorry for this inconvenience, but promise that this live radio issue has top priority with us.”

3 Likes

Hi @Heino_Hansen,

Daniel aka @Rugby is a valued community moderator and not a member of the Roon support group. However, I can respond to your questions below:

We absolutely do. Roon Ready certification is never just handed out. We have an entire QA guide that must be adhered to in order to utilize Roon RAAT and obtain the Roon Ready designation. There have been times when firmware updates have broken that functionality but I’m unsure as to whether or not you’ve updated recently.

@Kopftelefon had some good news on the matter though. At least they’re aware of the issue and working on it. If they have any questions they can reach out to our dedicated Roon Partners team for help with changes.

Wes

3 Likes

Did you receive any updates?

The external module supplier is still troubleshooting and is sadly a little slow to respond, according to a mail I received two days ago.

1 Like

@Kopftelefon I’m thinking about to open a ticket by myself for this issue, because it doesn’t feel Argon is making any progress to solve this. Or did you receive any positive updates from them?
A year ago I reached out to them about issues with Argon audio solo in combination with Roon, which were exact the same issues, but they were only pointing to Roon back then and claiming that there were no issues with their Solo product.

Hello @Martin_Reurekas , please do so.
I didn’t receive any updates yet, and wrote again to enquire about it at the end of last week.

All in all, I’m curious how this borked implementation of roon ready came to be. It doesn’t shine a good light on argon or roon, for that matter.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.