Local music, still relevant?

Oppo bdp95 with Modwright tube upgrade.:grin:

Missed the boat on the Oppo and I don’t trust my resolve about not playing video games if I buy a PS x.

Still thinking about a Technics or Marantz.

Still quite a number of 95&105 models on fleabay etc for not too stupid a price.
Avoid the udp205 as that is crazy pricing.

I see that Skyfi Audio has a used dCS Verdi for $7000. :grimacing:

Too bad, I don’t like buying used. :laughing:

2 Likes

Interesting idea. That would be enforcing the strategy that I voluntarily adopt. I add the Qobuz streaming version of stuff that I like (either brought to my attention by Roon Radio or that I have seen in new album releases) to my library temporarily and if I find myself liking it a lot after a few weeks I buy it as a download and if I don’t like it enough to buy then I delete it from my library. I adopt this strategy partly because I think it’s the right thing to do by the artist but also because I like to store all of my music on my iPhone for use when I travel and to do that I need the music files so that I can create an AAC version to sync to my phone.

I don’t know about bandcamp, that’sa different model. But with qobuz/tidal/Spotify/Apple etc you get next to nothing. It doesn’t add up to a living wage.

If you do care about artists, the best way to support them is too but their music. Especially for classical where because services pay by the track, and one “track” can last 30 minutes, they get even less.

1 Like

You gave me hope there, but a quick visit proved that statement not to be true (in the UK at least):stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Look up Bandcamp and their ethos, hopefully you will be surprised.
They take the smallest amount of money from the artists. It’s why many of us buy from there as our first port of call.
Bandcamp Fridays are also famous for giving bands all the revenue from purchases.

4 Likes

First, you need to want the music that Bandcamp offers…there is not much there to be honest.

3 Likes

Maybe my idea of not too stupid a price and yours are different…lol.

1 Like

The whole point of Bandcamp is that it provides a platform for independent label and self-released artists across many (but not all) genres. There’s plenty of stuff there, but perhaps not the music that you’re listening to.

2 Likes

Sure, if you’re after the n’th release of Steely Dan or Supertramp, bandcamp certainly isn’t the place for that, lol. Otherwise, it’s loaded with great music…

10 Likes

Well there are a lot of bands there across all genres, but yes if you can’t find bands there then that is a mute point.
Not the most commercial bands and singers like Taylor Swift, but I am continuously surprised that I manage to get at least 75% of my music from there month on month.

1 Like

I haven’t really bought any music since 2015. Unless it’s some vinyl or hard to find releases. But I have a library l always keep around.

I have over 16tb of local files, including a lot of hirez, but as time goes by, I use less and less of it. I now rely on about 80% on Tidal and Qobuz. Can’t tell the difference, especially with my older ears. I have saved LOTS of money not buying all of the super deluxe editions that I used to by.

What would I do without all my Bootlegs in my local. Library?

2 Likes

Or after just about any well known artist…

Pioneer bdp lx58. Multi player.

Not really some big names release their material on bandcamp as well. Especially if they own the rights to it and their back catalogue.

You might have heard of this fella

2 Likes

Sure, Peter Gabriel has a presence there…but not any of his good music…

Let’s stop pushing Bandcamp as some great place to get music. It’s a great idea that is still not not mature enough or populated enough to be anything other than an example of what could be but is not.