Logitech Vs. Roon

I don’t want it in a docker as they where a pain to maintain, anyways I am not using it anymore so it’s all irrelevant.

So I got LMS and CamillaDSP working, following this guide:

I just need to get scribble going now, for auto sample rate changes.

The ability to use LMS loopback into CamillaDSP, + my DAC’s USB SPDIF, Toslink I/O is a real benefit over Roon I have to say. But each software does things the other doesn’t.

The Pi acts as an Squeeze endpoint, and samples a loopback of LMS @ 44.1khz, executing convolution @ 96khz on a RPI4. I’m using Material Skin controller on the phone - it looks great.

One thing I have noticed is how fast LMS local tracks load for playback, using just a simple RPI4 doing convolution and endpoint. Impressive. Qobuz on LMS does take a little longer to move through menus, etc.

The LMS server server sits on my i7 WIN11 PC atm, I get no crashes when completing normal business tasks (Whereas Roon does hang a little through the day, especially noticeable when I click away from the software for some time, and then try to use the software to change volume, skips tracks, select music etc.

Anyway, working well. I do hope I can get input/output sample rates to match source.

EDIT: Pi4 CPU average (57% over 15mins) running convolution 96hkz, with 96000 taps.

Pi4 sits at about 56 degrees no case, no coolers.

Some noticeable drawbacks….
-No auto sampling rate changes atm
-LMS lacks the ability to heart Qobuz tracks or artists, so albums etc appear in Qobuz favourites
-No Roon room
-Not as pretty as roon
-Music discovery no where near as good as Roon

Pros
-Fade in and out
-No pops on track skip, pause, stop , play or volume routing
-Fast & typically very responsive
-Camilla and LMS is absolutely Free
-Smooth HTML interface scrolling & Navigation

4 Likes

Is there a way to heart albums and artists in LMS Qobuz app, and have the hearts appear as Qobuz favourites?

I think this is it not in the most intuitive place, but thats LMS for you, UI is not its strong point.

Click on the album cover, then after the listing of tracks it’s the second menu item.

1 Like

EDIT - Oh wait… I just did one…

Need to select from Album track listing page.

Thanks

Thanks, super hidden.
LMS really needs a heart near the album, on the now playing screen.

Sounds great though.

Sounds same as Roon to me in all my zones. I won’t go back to this unless I have no choice it’s horrible on iOS in a web browser which is my primary remote as its always available you can’t save them as an app like you can on Android for webpages. Also I can search and be playing an album from qobuz way faster via Roon too many ancillary clicks to find stuff via qobuz.

I have found one thing where LMS is ahead of Roon. You can at least group different zones that are different original protocols and keep in sync as the LMS plugins convert the stream to LMS friendly. Something Roon doesn’t allow you to do at all. Trying it out and playing via UPnP plugin to my sonos arc in TV room next to my office and squeezlite in the office.

1 Like

I use safari to save the LMS material webpage as a Home Screen webpage app, on my phone.

Allows full screen app like use.
Works well, but yes the LMS app is not the best.

1 Like

Worked out how to do that now. Makes it better as a full screen app but still too many clicks to do most things. Running into issues with Chromecast bridge as well which won’t play anything to my shield TV or TV get no sound out at all so need to work that out. Never used to use these plug-ins when I used LMS before Roon as I just used SB hardware and one Pi of which all I have is an SB Radio left and Pis are all Ropeee XL so running them in tandem with Squeezelite. It’s more flexible than Plex in this regard but lacks any finese.

1 Like

I was referring to the Camilla DSP execution.

Its a good fall back if internet goes down.

1 Like

Does anyone know if its possible to display the playing now album to Chromecast, like the display feature does in Roon?
Thanks

Not without a community plugin which I don’t think anyone’s done one to my knowledge not seen anything vaguely like it in the plug-ins section.

1 Like

Thanks, I searched but couldn’t find anything. HDMI out of the PC hosting LMS, is probably easiest solution for now. Looks ok.

An easy solution is using cast.
Not ideal, but it works

I have also installed the music information plugin, which offers similar artist, album and track information as Roon.

Images taken for LMS material interface on iPhone.

A really nice feature of LMS is the on screen scroll for volume. Accessible only on the now playing screen.

It’s so much more natural to scroll up and down than across.

1 Like

I do like how they include album covers in the bios. Nice touch that I would like to see in Roon.

1 Like

I can’t seem to get rid of the server restart notification. I restart it returns.

Another quirk seems when I restart I loose all the UPnP and Chromecast zones and have to constantly restart the plug-ins. This is annoying.

Im only using Squeezelite player for the endpoint…. I don’t have any chrome cast or upon endpoints.

I could set a chrome cast up to test if it would help you.