Logitech Vs. Roon

Bandcamp integration is an amazing bonus! Love it.

1 Like

I full hard restart of the server app has fixed the restart server notification so it looks like restarting from the material skin interface isn’t actually restarti it properly. Had to reconfigure the plug-ins again for Chromecasts and UPnP so something had gone a little wrong,

1 Like

Something Roon needs

Something quirky in your setup. I’m using the same plugins and not having any issues. You can play any album with a single click btw, both on mobile and pc.

Whilst it’s not as metadata rich or visually attractive as Roon e.g. not showing composers next to tracks, it just works, performance is on par, it doesn’t force rescans on startup, the server seems more stable and I’m not finding myself feeling I’m missing anything that Roon has to offer. TiVo’s metadata is increasingly absent, meaningless or incomplete as are its genre assignments, diminishing the value it’s supposed to deliver.

Roon should’ve been great, but serves only to frustrate when bugs take years to fix or are ignored and long-standing issues like meaningfully engaging box sets and multi-disc albums with bonus discs remains impossible. In its current form and with the direction Roon is taking LMS is a perfectly suitable alternative until a real disruptor emerges.

1 Like

Without a proper DSP engine, LMS will never replace Roon for me. I use convolution filters for room correction in two of my zones as they greatly improve the quality of playback I just cant sacrifice this. It will get used if I can’t use Roon for whatever reason but not for prolonged periods.

No thanks. This is not what I am looking for in a proper DSP engine.e.g add filters turn it on, job done.

Once camillaDSP is working it’s simple to use. Getting it working is a different story, but the ASR how to guide is step by step perfect for a Pi4.

CamillaDSP is currently running my JBL M2 crossovers using convolution FIR.

It’s of no use to me at all I don’t use a pi in my main system its a streaming amp. Also you said its a fixed sampling rate output which is not something I want. Also I want the ability to easily switch between DSP presets. It might work for you but I am not interested in the diy nature of LMS for this sort of thing hence why I said a proper DSP engine. I just want ease of use its why I left LMS all those years ago for Roon as it was always too much fiddling to get anything to work and stay working.

1 Like

100% understood.

1 Like

For Android phones use Squeezer app. Great and free.
Also Squeeze player that sets your phone into “endpoint”. Bring all your music with you everyewhere :slight_smile:

Spotify integration also works great.

1 Like

I haven’t tried Spotify…
I really like the swipe up and down for volume via material, so much better.
Music discovery really suffers in LMS, Roon is light years ahead.

Im done with this again for now until I loose Roon due to interent outage I used it a lot yesterday but cant say I want to use it every day. Its a good backup but a full replacement for Roon it just isnt for me and it makes me reaslise why I moved to Roon from it in the firstplace. Disabled the server service until its needed.

1 Like

I’ve never tried LMS. But I have Audirvana Studio and JRiver Media Center next to Roon. JRiver works fine on the once a year drop of Internet here.

Either that, or I’ll activate my iPhone’s hotspot since I have unlimited 4g data.

1 Like

Wiim now integrates very nicely with lms

1 Like

Any device with a web browser will be able to do it. In theory you can cast to a chromecast from your android phone, but that’s far too much effort.

What I really miss is “Smart Crossfade” in Roon. LMS is lightyears ahead of Roon when you compare the crossfade options. (And not only LMS, I assume).

Never use crossfade in my life. Not something I care about I’m not in a club when at home nor care about tracks blending I listen to albums as do the majority of Roon users judging by the recent playlist poll. First thing I turned off on PlexAmp was sweet fades which is same thing.

2 Likes

I don’t think Smart Crossfade/Sweet Fades is about club play. I think it’s about jointly and interactively managing the “current queue”. :wink:

3 Likes

Would also be nice to fade out/in when skipping through new releases on Qobuz without those annoying sudden breaks and pop/click sounds, but we have a long standing feature request stubbornly neglected by Roon…