Looking into possibility of downgrading to 1.7

(Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere - had a look but couldn’t find anything except random mentioning in other threads)

Dear Team Roon,

The 1.8 launch has been interesting to say the least, with a lot of positive feedback but let’s also be honest - quite a bit of negative feedback. Unfortunately I am one of those that has issues using the new version as my android phone (my only Roon remote) does not seem to play nicely with 1.8. Reading the forums I seem not to be alone in having issues keeping me from enjoying my music, which is the very basic you should be able to expect from Roon.

I appreciate the next couple of weeks will be turbulent, with lots of gathering of bug reports, categorizing, responding to your users and prioritizing in what order to fix things. With all these things considered, would you consider to make it possible to introduce a “hot-fix-downgrade” to version 1.7? This would give your user base currently not having a functional music player the possibility to downgrade and try to upgrade again in a few weeks, which would calm things down a bit and also give you some more room to breathe.

Just a friendly suggestion.

/Patrick

2 Likes

Hello Patrick,

sorry for that, but I’m sure the system would become very unstable after an upgrade-downgrade-upgrade.

Things have to be fixed if they are broken, but I think that these things are not broken - simply other than what some users want and what some are used to …
It’s obvious that changechange is accompanied by fear - but that’s what the world is like and we have to get used to it.

In this case, most of the changes definitely suit me and in no case want to go backwards.

I would also like to downgrade the UI, its awful.

This isn’t an opinion situation, rooms 1.8 UI update is the single worst update ir any software in my 25 years of computing. I literally cannot find the music I want or pay for, and if this doesnt change will not be renewing.

You will be losing lost of users this year I can guarantee that

Please give users the option to downgrade.

Hey Shaun, we don’t support downgrading, but if you can be more specific about what it is about 1.8 that’s not working for you maybe we can help. What do you mean by “cannot find the music I want”?

@kevin It’s just awful, I literally wouldn’t even know where to begin with it.

For months I’ve not been able to find track that I want, because there was no “more” button, which has just appeared, is that a recent fix?

Why is there nowhere to favourite a song? Say i’m listing to “top 20” on tidal, why can’t I favourite a track so Roon remembers it?

similarly where is option to dislike something so it doesn’t show again?

I think that you need to understand the difference between an album (or a track) that is in your Roon Library, and an album (or a track) that exists outside your Roon Library in the Tidal or Qobuz streaming services.

Once an album (or track) has been added to your Roon Library, then you can make it a Favorite in Roon by clicking the “heart” icon for the album or track. You can also use this icon to “ban” hearing an album or track in future.

As an alternative to “banning”, you can also set albums or tracks to “hidden” so they don’t show in your Library.