Losing Edits When Moving to New External HD

Roon Core Machine

Mac mini (late 2012)
2.3 GHz Core i7 (quad-core)
16 GB RAM
macOS 15.7
Roon Server 2.0 build 1182
(Remote: 2020 MBP 13" running Roon 2.0 build 1182)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

~60,000 tracks (~800 gbs)

Description of Issue

My library is currently stored on an older USB hard drive, and I’m hoping to move it to a new external drive while preserving all of my library edits, tags, etc. before the old drive conks out. The files are in an iTunes/Apple Music library that I rip CDs into. Using Finder, I copied the relevant folder (iTunes Music) to the new drive. I then disabled the old connection in Roon, restarted, and connected the new drive and directed Roon to the new (but otherwise identical) folder. (I followed the directions in this article: https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/faq-how-do-i-move-my-collection-to-a-new-folder-hard-drive-or-nas-will-i-lose-my-edits#Preparation). After it finished scanning all of my files, about half of my library was missing all edits and information, and many albums were split and unidentified. I’ve restored from backup and tried a second time with the same results, and have reverted to my backup for the time being.

Is there something I’m doing wrong? How can I migrate to the new drive while preserving my library?

Thank you!

Hmm.

1. While RoonServer was running you disabled all storage.
  2. Turn off RoonServer
  3. Do all copying
  4. Start Roonserver
  5. Edit the old storage location to the new location
    It should then rescan with everything preserved.
1 Like

Um. I know the kb says ‘add the new location’, but isn’t the key here to edit the old location?

Otherwise, Roon will scan the ‘new’ folder as a new source of music.

Unless I’m missing something…

I think you missed step 2, where it says to remove the old storage location…

The effect of “remove/add” is the same as “edit the existing”…

Well. I thought not - otherwise how will Roon know that you’ve moved a watched folder rather than added a completely new one? I have done this (once) but wouldn’t swear that I remember remove/add or edit.

Edit - maybe that the kb note has 25 :+1: but 23 :-1: is significant…

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.