Lost my Roon Connectivity

Yesterday I had the notion to upgrade my Ethernet cabling. I have a Roon Nucleus+, Netgear NAS for my music, Bryston BDP-2 for my player. and PS Audio Directstream DAC. The BDP-2 is connected to the PS Audio via XLP, the Nucleus+, NAS and BDP-2 all are connected by Ethernet cable to a Netgear ProSafe 10/100/1000 switch, which is connected via Ethernet cable to a Netgear wireless router. Everything was working fine. I replaced the Ethernet cable from the Wireless Router to the switch with a Wireworld Starlight CAT8, and everything stopped working. I went and replaced the CAT8 with the original Ethernet Cable, no luck, nothing works. I don’t know what I may have done, but I can’t see the NAS drive from my Roon remote-I use an Ipad Mini, I lost my connectivity to Tidal, nothing works. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Thanks for reaching out, @Dstack010!

Just to verify, have you rebooted your Core machine and networking hardware?

Just to verify, is the ProSafe switch a managed switch? If you connect directly to the router instead of the switch (I know this worked previously, but just as a test so we can narrow things down) is there any change in behavior?

Thanks,
Dylan

Dylan-
I rebooted the Nucleus +, power-cycled the cable modem and the wireless router. Did not solve the problem.
I haven’t connected directly to the router, unfortunately I have too many devices running on my ethernet network, not enough ports. I ran a CAT 6 Ethernet cable from the router to the switch, it is I believe unmanaged, but powered. I tried to attach a sketch of the system’s connectivity, the only change made was the swap of the CAT8 Ethernet cable for the CAT6 Ethernet cable between the router and the switch, I swapped it back when the problem presented itself. One think I had done previously was change the auto DNS to a dedicated IP address for the Roon, worked fine, not sure if that would have any bearing on this issue. Let me know if there’s anything further I can try.

Dane

Dylan-
I picked up a Gigabyte Cable Modem/wireless gateway from Comcast today, I’m going to replace the modem and wireless router I currently have in my network, and see if it solves the problem. Unfortunately that further reduces the number of Ethernet connections, I’ll probably still have to use the switch to connect everything together.

Dane

Thanks for the update, @Dstack010. Let me know if you notice any change when you try the new device you mentioned.

Can you confirm whether or not you’re able to connect to the Nucleus web UI from a device on the network?

Thanks,
Dylan

Dylan-
I replaced the modem/wireless router, I had to use the switch to expand the available Ethernet ports. Everything so far is working properly, so it would seem it was an issue with my wireless router. I replaced all the CAT 6 Ethernet cabling from the Nucleus+, NAS drive and Bryston BDP-2 to the switch, and from the switch to the Modem/Wireless Router with Wireworld Starlight CAT 8 cable, everything seems to sound great!

Dane

1 Like