Lost Roon Database when moving from Mac to Nucleus Plus

Roon Core Machine

Nucleus Plus.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I just setup a Nucleus Plus to replace my Mac Mini. I ended up without most of my Roon Playlists from the last two months.

The Mac Mini is unauthorized but I have a whole drive Time Machine back up on an SSD drive with a Type C connector. Is there anyway to recover those newer playlists etc…?

Thanks for any help you can share.

Did you follow the guide?

Unfortunately I did not. I was expecting something from the Welcome to Nucleus Quick Start Guide when I de-authorized the Mac. It was a moment of instant regret. I should have been familiar with the Migration guide.

Time Machine is not recommended for backing up the Roon database. The only proper way to backup your library is thru Settings==>Backup.

OTOH, just because you unauthorized Roon on your Mac doesn’t mean that library is gone, unless you actually removed Roon from the Mac. If everything is still on your Mac, then simple reauthorize Roon over there. Do a Roon backup using the Roon procedure, i.e. not Time Machine, and then restore on your Nucleus, following the info in the link provided above.

5 Likes

Thanks for that info! I didn’t remove Roon from the Mac so I’ll unplug the Nucleus and reauthorize the Mac, followed by a ROON Backup. I’ll let you know how it goes.

1 Like

FYI, you don’t need to unplug the Nucleus, just unauthorize it.

If you do want to bring the Nucleus down, do so thru the web GUI. Never simply unplug it.

3 Likes

Hey @SGSurf,

Ben here with the support team, I wanted to check in on this thread to see if you were able to import the rest of your playlists to your Nucleus?

I’ll be monitoring this thread for your reply :+1:

I followed your suggestion and plugged a new SSD with a USB connector into the Mac mini, Authorized the Mac and did another backup. I reauthorized the Nucleus + and restored all the Playlists that were missing. Success. Thanks
Next problem: I set up backup on the new Nucleus + using the SSD drive. The path is Nucleus+ > G Drive SSD > RoonBackup. That is the same path I restored from but I keep getting a message INVALID PATH SPECIFIED. Any suggestions?

Screen print of what you are specifying, please.

I seem to remember that Roon names external drives connected to a Nucleus or a ROCK machine with a name that incorporates the drive manufacturer’s name (or some such thing), not as you have it. Dunno.

Can’t find how the external drive is named in the Roon KB, but @benjamin knows.

Try using the IP address instead of the Nucleus identifier…

Add images

Try this video for advice -

I browsed to this drive name

Am I correct in my understanding that the G-DRIVE SSD was originally used on the Mac, and you are now trying to use it on the Nucleus?

If so, if it was originally formatted as HFS/HFS+ (also known as “Mac OS Journaled”) on the Mac, then it will be a Read-only drive on the Nucleus - so cannot be used as a Backup destination. You would need to reformat it before it can be used.

2 Likes

The error for this is: Backup Directory not available.

Pretty sure @Geoff_Coupe found the problem in his previous post.

Just reread your msg. Thanks, I’ll reformat G-DRIVE SSD later today and then try a backup. “Still tryin’ to learn”

All done. I reformatted for PC and Mac and have already run first backup successfully.
Thank you for the help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.