Lost Roon endpoint for HDMI multichannel

Hello, @support. Thanks for the 536 update and hope all on the team are in good health.

My core: i-7 fanless CAPS Zuma PC built by Small Green Computer, running WS2019 with Audiophile Optimizer v 3.0 on Roon core v 1.7 build 536.

Core is ethernet connected to a Netgear switch (unmanaged mode), which is turn is ethernet connected to a Motorola MoCA device that hard-wires the switch to the Orbi router on the other side of the house.

Issue at hand is with a multichannel setup in our living room. i-3 processor Dell tower running W10 and RoonBridge is HDMI connected to an Integra DTR-40.3 AVR and ethernet connected to an Orbi satellite that is 5G connected to the Orbi router.

This setup has worked well for multichannel listening through Roon, until build 536. Now, the PC is operating fine – I can remote into it across my network and see its sound properties connected to the AVR, and I can see that RoonBridge is running. Yet, the PC no longer appears in the Roon list of devices. I’ve rebooted the PC, the Roon core, I’ve uninstalled, downloaded a fresh version and reinstalled RoonBridge. No luck. My 2-channel setup in the same living room environment, but running on an rpi3 to a USB DAC, is recognized fine by Roon.

I’m lost. Any additional thoughts would be appreciated. Cheers. JCR

Hi @Jeffrey_Robbins,

Since you are using a Windows PC, I would verify that both Roon.exe and RAATServer.exe have been added as exceptions to your Windows firewall.

You can use these instructions to add the exceptions and the executables themselves would be located in your Database Location/Application folder path.

I would also add these exceptions to any Antivirus or other Firewall blocking applications you may have and ensure that you connected to your network via a Private network, not a Public one, see this guide for more information.

Thank you, @noris. The exceptions that already existed in Windows Defender Firewall are for raatserver.exe (only private is checked as allowed) and for roonbridgehelper.exe (again, only private is checked as allowed). Roon.exe would be inapplicable, would it not, as this is a Roonbridge PC and is not running core?

I am and continue to be only on the private network for the PC in question (and for all others in our home).

There is no other antivirus or firewall software on the PC in question. My router, an Orbi RBR50, has no particular settings I am aware of to address this.

So, no luck here. Perhaps it would be useful to see the logs for Roonserver on the PC in question to determine what is going wrong, particularly as it used to work just fine. If so, kindly give me the instructions on how to locate the relevant logs for you and where you’d like them sent. Thanks. JCR

Hi @Jeffrey_Robbins,

Yes, you are correct, it would be RAATServer.exe and RoonBridge.exe on the PC containing RoonBridge, but you should also check the firewall on the Core side and Roon.exe and RAATServer.exe would be applicable on the Core side.

Is there any change in behavior if you temporarily plug both the Core and the Roon Bridge PC into the same router or access point?

Before we take a look at logs, let’s confirm the firewall aspect and networking aspect first.

Hello, @noris. Indeed, my network settings went haywire behind the scenes. The core server was set in public mode, but setting it to private did not solve the issue. The PC at issue was also in public mode, but setting it to private did not solve the issue, either. As earlier noted, the appropriate exceptions were in the PC’s firewall.

This all said, I next deleted the exceptions in the PC’s firewall entirely, quit Roonbridge and restarted it. As it should, Windows asked for permission to create the firewall exceptions – and this time around, the PC now appears back in Roon and is playing multichannel audio again!

So, all fixed. Thanks for the assistance. Cheers. JCR

1 Like

Happy to help @Jeffrey_Robbins, glad to hear you located the issue and sorted it out!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.