Lots of lost connection errors [Resolved - moved core off Wi-Fi]

Hi. Just installed Ubuntu 17.04 on a brand new Intel NUC 7i7bnh with 8GB of DDR4 RAM and 250GB Samsung evo 960 M.2 SSD, it’s a superfast little computer. Right onto that I have installed almost nothing (apart from a few Linux utils like vim and such) but Roon Server.

I am testing this out so I am just streaming to some Sonos Play:1 and Connects. I use my iPad, iPhone or MacBook Pro as controls. Interface looks beautiful and the music on my Synology 214play is added (although several High-Res folders are missing, but that’s not the main problem).

The main problem is that I get SO many “Lost connection” errors on either control-device. I use only WIFI and my WIFI is working pretty much flawlessly on all other devices. I easily stream Netflix HQ stuff and move files around. So what could be the problem? I am doing some setting adjustment in Roon, obviously since I am setting it up, and it seems to me that I stress the software when I change settings and quickly get these lost connections. But also when just browsing around in my library I get these, quite frankly, unacceptable losses of access to Roon.

I love what I am seeing though and the DSP features looks very usable for me, but I can’t use it seriously as of now.

Thx,
Mads

1 Like

Do you get the same issues if you run the NUC with ROCK?

Thx for your quick reply I am not running ROCK, and I would prefer not to lock my system down to ROCK, what is your reasoning ?

@support (forgot this handle earlier)

Hi @Mads_Reck ---- Thank you for the report and sharing your observation(s) with our team, the feedback is appreciated.

Moving forward, to help aide in my evaluation of this behavior you are experiencing may I very kindly ask you to please provide me with the following information:

1. Please describe your network configuration/topology being sure to include any networking hardware you’re implementing. I want to have a clear understanding of what the chain of communication looks like and the links (router, switches, repeaters, extenders, power line adaptors, etc) that make up that chain.

2. I see that you are using a MacBook Pro as a remote, during your troubleshooting have you tried connecting this device directly to your router (w/ wifi disengaged) to see how a hardwired remote responds? If so, what was the experience like?

-Eric

1 Like

Only that perhaps ROCK might not have any other external OS factors involved - and that if its a machine dedicated to Roon then its a NUC that is supported to run ROCK.

Thx @Eric.

1. So I have a Saegem Fst 3686 V2 cable-modem/router/wifi-access point which is connected to the Internet at 100/30mbit. The WIFI is dual-band 2.4Ghz/5Ghz. The Sonos’es are connected to Sonos own WIFI-network through a Sonos Bridge which is ethernet-wired to the Saegem. The Intel NUC is connected via WIFI as is my Apple TV 4gen, iPads 9.7" pro, iPhone 6 both on latest iOS and MacBooks 2015 with latest OS X Sierra. No powerline adapters, extenders, repeaters, additional switches or routers.

2. I use my iPhone/iPad/MacBook with solid WIFI connection. I will try see if I can find an ethernet cable and connect directly to my router without WIFI on my MacBook and get back to you.

Mads

1 Like

@wizardofoz, I see and good point, thx. However I suppose that the Roon Server application itself together with recommended Intel hardware and Ubuntu OS should make up a smoothly working system. I am sure I will get there :slight_smile: eventually.

I use the exact same setup as ROCK and I’m not having any issues

Hmn, interesting, thanks for the feedback. But using ROCK then I can’t use my NUC for anything else than Roon, can I? It’s going to be locked down and not a “generic” Linux box anymore, right?

Correct…ROCK is all you get

One thing to check is for duplicate IP addresses…I just had a wacky issue and turned out was a device I hadn’t used in months that was the same address as my core…worth a check for sure.

Thx, I’ll definitely check that. Also I will try to connect the NUC (not my MacBook) to the router via cable to see if that helps.

1 Like

If the NUC is via Wifi then that could just be the issue right there

1 Like

I attached my NUC headless directly via ethernet cable to my router (instead of having it on wifi).

NOW we’re talking!

Immediately I felt a much more responsive behaviour from the iPhone app and after a brief wait when starting up the Mac OS X version of Roon I now have rushed back and forth through settings, tags, Tidal albums, 96/24 playback and all that jazz without a single hiccup. It feels rock solid. I am very impressed. Funny, but it seems that even good WIFI is not a good combination with the Roon Server, at least not in my case. By that single change the router is now acting 1GB/s switch for my Synology 214play NAS, Sonos bridge and the NUC and all my controls are purely acting via wifi, and so are the Sonos playback-devices. Next step is to add my Hifi but that should be a bliss now.

Thanks for the input @wizardofoz and @Eric. Should something up related to this thread (I have only tested now for 10-20 min) I will post it, but if not I am a happy camper. Great! :smile:

1 Like

Wi-Fi access to the NAS for music files and streaming to yet another device on the same Wi-Fi connection is pushing it. Soon as you said the core was on Wi-Fi I knew that was most likely the issue.

It seems so, even though there is a LOT of other stuff going on (Netflix, file transfers, gaming, etc) simultaneously on my and other typical wifi installations.

The wifi is dual band, just curious how many and which devices are connected to each? I keep my core connect to my NAA endpoint on the 2.4g band, and with my remotes on 5ghz everything is flawless. If I accidentally log on to the 2.4g wifi and open a data heavy app while streaming DSD256, I’ll usually get a dropout. Took me a bit to realize that was the cause, so just offering up in case it’s of interest.

Interesting @lorin . How do you keep devices on separate bands, by having different SSIDs for the diffferent bands or can it be done without having different names for the different bands, I wonder?

Heya, not sure on whether that would be possible. Two SSIDs seems to be the default behaviour for my router, a very basic TP-LINK model (c7).