Loud pop through Sonos Port when pausing Roon playback via Airplay (ref#NKPS5X)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

· I'm having trouble playing music

What best describes your playback issue?

· I'm hearing clicks, pops, or unexpected noises

Describe the issue

When I pause playback in Roon with music streaming through my Sonos Port via Airplay, I hear a loud pop through the Sonos Port a few seconds after playback is paused. This happens when playing only through the Port, and when grouped with other speakers (Sonos One Airplay), but the pop only comes through the Sonos Port.

Hi @Kirk_Chantraine

I’m a fellow Roon user.

Do you have another amplifier/speaker setup you can connect the Sonos Port to?

I ask this as a means to eliminate the Sonos Port being the cause, or to confirm it is.

A power down, leave for 30 seconds, then power on may help.

Also, does this pop occur when streaming Roon to the Sonos Port using the Sonos streaming protocol?

Are all your devices Sonos, or a mixture and hence using AirPlay?

:innocent:

Hi Menzies,

Thanks for the thoughtful reply!

Thankfully (and kind of oddly) after updating and restarting my Synology (DS920+, 8GB RAM) which hosts my Roon Core, the issue is no longer reproducible. I will continue to monitor in case it comes up (hard to miss; the pop is quite loud).

Some answers, though, to give you and anyone experiencing the issue context in case helpful:

Do you have another amplifier/speaker setup you can connect the Sonos Port to?

Not easily, but good point. I can probably do this with headphones next time to double check. I do have the port going into a mixer on which I can monitor the levels, and it appeared to be coming from the Port pretty certainly in that regard.

A power down, leave for 30 seconds, then power on may help.

Also good call - I’d done this with nearly everything except the Roon Core’s Synology!

Also, does this pop occur when streaming Roon to the Sonos Port using the Sonos streaming protocol?

No, it doesn’t, but I am having issues using the Sonos streaming protocol. It seems to be very flakey when grouping across rooms, such that certain rooms cut out periodically and often. That’s a whole other issue with too many variables though and I haven’t gotten to troubleshooting it in depth yet :slight_smile:

Are all your devices Sonos, or a mixture and hence using AirPlay?

All Sonos, but using AirPlay as it’s been more reliable than Sonos streaming as mentioned above.

Thanks again. If it comes up again I’ll dive in deeper, and may post (or search out) a topic if I can’t get more reliable Sonos streaming happening soon.

Cheers,
Kirk