Loud static noise when using sample rate conversion

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

ROCK on NUC - Roon 1.7.710

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Netgear Orbi - NUC is connected via Ethernet to main unit

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Two different USB DACs - Topping E30 and Pro-Ject S2 DAC

When I activate sample rate conversion, I often get a random, very loud static noise. Not constant, but one loud blast causes me to deactivate SRC.

Sorry, just to help a little before support arrive. Does this happen with both DACs?

Yes. Both DACS. I switched one for the other thinking the DAC was the issue apparently not. Thanks.

1 Like

What are you converting to/from? What’s your signal path?

I’ve been playing around with upsampling and converting to DSD256… 95% of the time it works flawlessly but sometimes, the audio is slightly sped up with static/distortion… to fix, while music is playing I set from DSD256 to DSD64 which fixes it… then back to DSD256 and it’s fine after that.

The static seems to occur when upsampling standard 44.1 kHz to 192 kHz or higher, or when converting PCM to DSD. It doesn’t happen right away or even on the first track. It usually happens after playing a few tracks. I am not sure if it occurs only when streaming from Tidal or Qobuz, or if it also occurs when playing from my own library, which is on a USB hard drive connected to my NUC.

Here is my current signal path.

Any ideas welcome.

When you get the static what does the signal path look like, or at least if you set the same settings and hit play even without the static.

If this is dsd265 what is the processing speed that showing, note anything less than about 1.3-1.4 x is not going to be good

The signal path looks the same, as far as I can recall. Honestly, it is so loud and startling, I just hit the pause button ASAP to stop the noise. As for DSD, where would I look to see processing speed?

Thanks

Turn your amps off and see what it shows in the signal path for processing speed. Also make sure have parallelize sigma delta set to on

You still haven’t indicated your core system info or networking connection details.

Thanks for your help.

Unless I am misunderstanding what you are asking, my signal path is reflected in the screen shot I posted above. NUC --> via USB --> DAC [Topping E30 or Pro-Ject S2] --> RCA outputs split to power amp (feeding KEF LS50 Metas) and to KEF subwoofer. I am connecting the NUC via Ethernet direct to my router (an Orbi).

Where is this setting? I do not see it in Audio setup - “Also make sure have parallelize sigma delta set to on”.

Thanks again.

And apologies for being obtuse, but I don’t know what you mean by processing speed. See attached for another screen shot of the signal path. Where is processing speed reflected?

Thanks again.

In the signal path just above the ‘source’ there is a field that shows the processing speed. If it is above 100, this area is blank as it is way more than sufficient. AFAIK processing speed is an indicator of how far the processor is ahead of the game. Everything that is above 5 or so should be enough for a trouble free listening. That happens in my configuration NUC i5 only with a combination of DSP filtering, up-sampling and 128 DSD conversion of a MQA file.

Mine is blank. My NUC is a pretty robust 10th generation i7 so I think I have plenty of horsepower.

Yours was not blank when you posted the original shot it says 52.4x if I see that right. Its above the word Source and you appear to be only doing upsampling to 192KHz not DSD 256.

you have totally ignored the request to provide the system specs of your core (CPU speed model etc, RAM) and if your setup is using wifi only - so unless you give this info its hard to suggest a course of action.

the other setting I mentioned in under the DSP settings and should be enabled for systems that struggle with low <2x processing speed.

I noted above that I am using a 10th generation i7 NUC. My complete system specs are stated below.

• Intel NUC 10 Performance Kit BXNUC10I7FNH1 10th Gen Intel Core i7-10710U Supports up to 3 Displays 5 USB Ports Mini / Booksize Barebone System

• Akasa Turing FX | Intel 10th Gen NUC (Frost Canyon) | PC Fanless Cooling Case | Aluminium | Internal M.2 SSD Heatsink | A-NUC52-M1B

• Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 500GB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology (MZ-V7S500B/AM)

• Kingston Technology HyperX Impact 32GB 2666MHz DDR4 CL15 260-Pin SODIMM Laptop Memory, Kit of 2 (HX426S15IB2K2/32)

As I also said above, the NUC is connected to my router via an ethernet cable, not WiFi.

In the screenshot above, yes I was upsampling to 192kHz, but I’ve had the same issues when upsampling to DSD. I do now see the option to Parallelize Delta-Sigma Modulator in DSD mode – it is in the “yes” position.

Thanks for your help.

So what is the processing speed when doing dsd256 for example. Turn off or unplug the amps / speakers when testing so the resulting noise doesn’t hurt anything.

Interesting. The processing speed is about 2.5x to upsample to DSD512, 4.7x to upsample to DSD256, 8.5x to go to DSD128 and about 18x when upsampling to DSD64. So it may be that upsampling to DSD512 is taxing the system. It works fine for a while (like now) but at some point I will get loud static.

I guess I should stick to DSD64 or 128 if I am going to do this, correct?

Thanks again for the expertise.

1 Like

While 2.5x should be in the safe zone, perhaps its not if your system is busy doing another task too. the other thing you could look at is perhaps something like a dedicated upsampling system like HQPlayer but this app can make many higher demands depending on its settings - but many swear by it.

Personally I used to upsample to DSD but pretty much now just use native rates for all things. I preferred this to the DSD upsampled results…of course YMMV

I actually have HQ Player on another system in which Roon resides on a Mac Mini. Unless I’m mistaken, though, I don’t think HQP is useable on a the same NUC as ROCK.

Again – many thanks for your help.

Correct Roon OS systems can’t run HQP so this excludes anything running ROCK or roon’s nucleus hardware