Loving Roon - one small issue

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon Nucleus Plus with 2TB SSD, Version 1.0 (Build 219) Stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet network to:

**Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type -

TP-Link Archer 1750 Router, to Netgear GS108S switch to Nucleus Plus, with USB out to Oppo BD-105D and HDMI to Marantz SR5010 receiver out to speakers

Lenovo laptop for roon controller (also sometimes Samsung tabA pad)

Finally got the Nucleus Plus up and running on my network. Thanks for all the great support and help. It is really wonderful and sounds spectacular. My one small issue is that about every third or 4th track in a playlist has a short delay in the start of the track (maybe missing the first half second to full second of music playback). Sometimes missing first drumbeat or piano note. Not sure why there is this delay. Is there a setting that can help with this?

TEXT GOES HERE

Can you try the Nucleus directly into the router? Bypassing the switch?

Will give it a shot and advise…thanks

Doesn’t have an impact I’m afraid. Still missing first notes of changing tracks

Does it occur when the resolution changes between tracks?
Does it occur on both the Oppo and the Marantz?

You might try setting a higher value for resync delay; otherwise upsampling to a fixed rate may help.
Not necessarily the best solution, but may be diagnostic.

Hi AndyR,
Hope you are well…I get the same initial gap on both Oppo and Marantz. I also tried the higher resynch delay, but no help either (just a larger silence between tracks). The track shows the music starting in the slide indicator at bottom, but there is a delay in it’s audible output. If I force it back to the start of the track, I can hear the missing first notes, so I know that the actual information is there. Trying to figure out why there is a throughput delay. I will try the upsampling to a fixed rate. I also want to try to stream via ethernet versus USB. Maybe there’s a USB delay (??) Thanks again for your help and suggestions

Myself and others experience the same problem.

Thanks for the feedback on this…very interesting. I had the same problem with JRiver 23, so I thought for a moment that I had poorly ripped the CDs or a crappy Windows laptop server…but then I proved to myself that the information is all there (just be starting the track over, it plays fine).

What about trying a direct HDMI connection between the Nucleus and the Marantz as a diagnostic test to see if the delay is still there?

1 Like

Will try as well, Thanks much…

AndyR, Geoff,
Happy to say, that both Marantz (HDMI) and Oppo (USB) work correctly with respect to opening seconds of tracks now that I’ve made everything up-sample as needed to 24/96 I have some 176, 192 and DSD, but not enough to matter. Not the best fix, so if roon wants to correct, it must have something to do with initial conversion.
Thanks again for your help - you guys are the best.

Hi @Patster11,

Are your Marantz and Oppo on the latest firmware?

What happens if you upsample past 24/96? If you go to 192 or DSD upsampling, does the issue still appear resolved?

Hi Norris,
I appreciate your attention to this matter. I am loving Roon and wholeheartedly think it is the best. I just moved everything to 24/192 up-sampling and again no issue in track start fallout. I’ll try DSD, but I only have a half dozen albums, so no biggie. The Oppo and Marantz are latest firmware.
Really looking forward to enjoying this. I am getting an Ultrarendu from Small Green Computer to feed Oppo USB DAC, so hoping everything continues to improve.
Thanks again for your help. Great product.
Pat

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.