LPS - Switch - NUC - A good investment? And Optical Isolation

I don’t have any knowledge about LPS, so it would be nice with some advice :slight_smile:

I was thinking about replacing my Cisco Meraki 12V 2.5A 30W DC Power Adaptor ADP-30KR B and/or DC Power Adaptor for my cirrus7 nimbini v3.

Same Q for my NUC (cirrus7 nimbini v3):

Would that be a good investment to replace it with an LPS? If yes, what model could be a good choice?

Thanks and have a nice week

Torben

I think it is a useless investment.
What improvements do you hope to achieve with this change?

1 Like

An LPS will do nothing for a computer like that NUC. Internally they have switching power regulators which repackage whatever power comes in from either switching or linear power supplies. So it would be a waste of money, not an investment.

3 Likes

Reduce potential noise :slight_smile:

@Bill_Janssen What about the switch (Cisco Meraki Go 8 Port Switch - GS110-8-HW-EU)?

Maximize the audio device buffer in Roon, play a track and remove the network cable from the audio device. If in the second after removing the cable you don’t perceive any difference, then you don’t have any noise problem.

2 Likes

I don’t mean to troll, but I think we’d all be much happier if we didn’t try to fix potential problems.

I’ll let @Bill_Janssen answer your question, but an LPS would not improve SQ over an SMPS in a well-designed analog device, let alone a digital one.

Same thing. It’s really a computer, too. Generally speaking, any digital device will do just fine with a switching power supply. Most analog devices, as well. This stuff about linear power supplies is another bit of audio-traditionalist mythology.

2 Likes

The thing is, the hardware side of audio isn’t really changing anymore. All the tweaks people used to try to bring their old systems into the present aren’t really necessary any more. Look at the changes in the past: recordings, radio (1920’s), LP records (1948, Mendelssohn’s Violin Concerto in E minor), stereo (1958), solid-state (the 1960’s), affordable stereo receivers (and FM) in the 1970’s, the CD (1982) and digital (the 80’s and 90’s), MP3s and music files (2000), the iPod (2001), YouTube (2005) (is that really a hardware thing?). So, what do we have now? MQA? Dolby Atmos? It’s all software these days.

1 Like

Just interesting that a company like Ferrum Hypsos did get a AISA reward in 2021/22 for:

“HYPSOS is a hybrid power system and combines the best features of both linear and switching power supplies”

PS: No - I will not this product. Not sure if I will buy any LPS.

PPS: If LPS is no good investment, than I just wonder why there are so many ““review”” sites (YouTube) saying “Good Buy” :slight_smile:

Rick, I use Meraki equipment throughout my home. The best chance of making any improvement in the audio stream with that switch is to use the SFP port to connect to your streamer or Ethernet enabled DAC. While there will be a hundred people who will jump in to argue bits are bits, in some cases (e.g., long runs of CAT 5/6 cable w/o proper isolation) there can be electrical noise on the Ethernet cable (which can be an antenna for EMI/RFI) that ride the signal into the endpoint. Transforming the electrical signal into optical and back to electrical just before the endpoint will eliminate that noise. It doesn’t cost a lot to try it out either. Some people who have added a fiber link this way do hear an improvement (I am one) but YMMV.

1 Like

@ksalno - Are you thinking about a solution like this with the Meraki:

Mini Unmanaged 1x 10/100/1000Base-T RJ45 to 1x 1000Base-X SFP
Slot Gigabit Ethernet Media Converter, European Plug standard (Link ) € 34,51

Generic Compatible 1000BASE-SX SFP 850nm 550m DOM
Duplex LC MMF Transceiver Module (2) (Link ) € 16,66

1m (3ft) LC UPC to LC UPC Duplex OM3 Multimode
PVC (OFNR) 2.0mm Fiber Optic Patch Cable (Link) € 5,59

PS: I am NOT sure about this configuration so please add any mistakes or improvement in the setup :slight_smile: THX

The Australian Information Security Association? Is it secure?

If you mean EISA, that’s just a collection of cheerleaders for overpriced audio advertising. Their awards mean nothing (unless you’re in the business).

To try to sell ads. After all, what manufacturer is going to advertise on a site or channel that says, “Bad Buy”?

It’s been a while since I did this, so I can’t advise you on specific parts. But you essentially need three components. You need an SFP module to connect the fiber optic cable to the Meraki. I got a Cisco branded one, but I’m sure there are others that will work. You need the fiber cable itself at whatever length is required with LC connectors. And you need a fiber media converter (FMC). Although many different types of fiber and SFP transceivers will work, Gigabit SFP modules that work with OM1 (62.5/125 µm multi-mode) type multi-mode fiber cable are usually recommended. I suggest doing some research on a networking forum or talking to a computer networking retailer to ensure all 3 components are compatible and will work together. You also want a fairly short (I used 6") ethernet cable to connect from the FMC to your endpoint to minimum any noise pickup that could occur with a longer cable.

1 Like

Good or bad, it’s an expense, not an investment.

@ksalno THX.

This will be the configuration (based on Cisco Meraki Go 8 Port Switch (GS110-8-HW-EU):

1 X Mini Unmanaged 1x 10/100/1000Base-T RJ45 to 1x 1000Base-X SFP Slot Gigabit Ethernet Media Converter, European Plug standard - € 34,51

2 X Cisco GLC-SX-MM Compatible 1000BASE-SX SFP 850nm 550m DOM Duplex LC MMF Transceiver Module - € 16,66

1 X 1m (3ft) LC UPC to LC UPC Duplex OM2 Multimode PVC (OFNR) 2.0mm Fiber Optic Patch Cable - € 5,59

In total = € 56,76

I will do a test and see what happens :slight_smile:

PS: I did get the above configuratuin from a FS Sales Engineer

1 Like

Seems you have everything in order. It’s a low cost solution you’ve found and you get to find out for yourself if it makes any difference.

1 Like

I’m not familiar with this media converter, but based on the text shouldn’t you need a pair of SFP modules instead of only one?

I see you chose multi-mode module and cable.
In case you’re interested in trying single-mode options:
https://www.luminmusic.com/support-fibre.html

The path is correct - Meraki SFP port via fiber cable → media converter (fiber to RJ45 electrical) → ethernet cable → endpoint

No need for a second media converter

You are right - You need 2 SFP modules :slight_smile: I will edit the post :slight_smile: