Lumin D2... Could it be a perceivable upgrade in sound quality?

Hi @anon20693046

Absolutely not: Naim DIN sockets are still single ended in nature and both left and right channel’s negative and ground are combined (a 5pin DIN cable uses only three of it’s pins at any time, based on if it’s used as an input or an output from a Naim device). So not compatible with a balanced cable of any kind. The DIN>XLR cables you refer to are likely Naim’s own, used with their 250-2 and up power amps. Again, not balanced and entirely proprietary to Naim :slight_smile:

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

What do you think about this cable (not a recommendation) for Naim?

My understanding is that it converts balanced to unbalanced by shorting XLR pin 3 to pin 1, which is a common way of doing things but not ideal.

1 Like

It does, thanks. Sounds too risky indeed!

Without explicit consent from the manufacturers involved, I don’t think it’s a good idea. There are a lot of different circuit/chassis grounding schemes out there and it wouldn’t be the first time something with the best of intentions didn’t work at all :wink: I have enough experience with custom DIN cables that on paper should have worked (in fact, they worked in one scenario and not another!) that I stay away and just use cables and applications recommended by Naim and Naim only

That all said, I once used a custom RCA output to DIN input cable between a LUMIN T1 and Naim NAC252 and the LUMIN sounded extraordinarily good. I digress

Cheers

3 Likes

I don’t fault Lumin for not addressing Sbooster upgrades. They’ve made design choices and realistically, a D2 with a high quality LPS would be at a price point that may make it uncompetitive with similarly priced competitors who may offer higher spec DACs. At $2300, a stock D2 is a great player and you must spend $500 to wring out what are incremental improvements. I’d like to compare my Sbooster powered D2 against a stock T2, and then a T2 with the Sbooster. My guess is that the T2 would equal or perhaps better a modded D2, but the modded T2 would render slight improvement.

If you want to play God and mod your D2, go for it like I did. Just don’t expect Lumin to warranty the unit once you are in there cutting wires and changing power supplies.

There’s no free lunch here.

2 Likes

Which is completely rational, and understandable.
For example, if I decided to change the Dynamik power supplies in all of my Linn kit, I’m sure Linn would take the same approach!

1 Like

Playing god? you mean improving the poverty spec design? lol. I wouldnt expect a warranty from a modified unit, it was part of the marketing concept for the unit anyway. Thankfully the UK distributer was happy to warranty if the unit was exactly how it was when delivered,so an Sbooster is easily reversible and no wires need cutting if you use your brain.

Thankfully I got rid of the Lumin, and a for a few hundred quid more (actually less in my case as of dealer discounts and home demos availability) I replaced it with a FAR superior Naim ND2 XS5. My friend brought round his T2 after I raved about the difference, and subsequently sold it and also for a Naim.

The only way to describe is ‘the Naim makes real music, the Lumin is a seven year old learning music’. Theres barely even comparison between the quality of the two.

I feel the lack of Lumin D2 home demo’s plays into the hand of the marketing architecture, manufacturers who are confident in their design even their budget ones make sure home demos are available. When I was are able to have comparable units side to side, i realise the shortcomings with the D2 was vast, more than I originally thought, so I am a happy camper right now to finally have good sound once again.

1 Like

I did that exact comparison, with the D2 with and T2 without SBooster. I assure you they do not compare. T2 different league. Big step up IMO.

1 Like

I honestly don’t understand why you are on this thread if you sold your Lumin and feel it is inferior to your new Naim. Other than to kick sand on Lumin?

I’ve sold lots of my old gear before, and I usually move on, and return only to answer questions about the gear. I bought my Lumin to replace the Sony HAPZ1es. It is a wonderful sounding one single box music streamer that for business reasons, won’t support Tidal or Qobuz. I don’t see how such a product can be successful in a crowded field that is moving away from purchased music to streaming. That decision forced me to look elsewhere. There are things the Lumin does that the Sony does not, and visa versa. Heck, both of them do things my ancient TriVista will never do. They all have their reasons and their merits, and while both excel in areas the TriVista does not, in no way does that minimize any of them, especially the Sony.

Sorry if I am prickly on this but I tire of posts that compare different products at different price points and declare how one trounces the other. Maybe if you are talking about Bose I might agree, but Lumin is a an excellent sounding DAC at its price point, made better by the Sbooster.

I’ve seen a number of companies offer Special Editions of gear over the years, including my old VAC Avatar SE and my current Woo WA5 SE. I’d be happy if Lumin did too, but not if that pushed their price point to near the T2. I also think it would be harder to justify the D2 SE in light of the T2 standard, if the chipset and other differences made the T2 equal or better using the stock SPS.

I trust that Lumin has figured out their product lineup, feature set, and price point to reach the right level of what sells and what does not.

6 Likes

Please don’t tempt me…

1 Like

Some companies do frequent or even yearly refresh of their products, especially AV receivers. Lumin is the opposite of that, we have a much slower product cycle than others, and we tend not to introduce non-major revisions and call it a new version. This helps protect the market value in case one needs to sell it in the future. Another big plus is that we offer transferable warranty if you choose to sell the unit, many do not.

7 Likes

All information is good information for future potential consumers to hear all opinions of products, good or bad. Whether I choose to post an opinion on a public forum about my experience with a product is entirely up to me, not you, but you have just made my mind up that I will post my subjective review of the D2 now and I should spend some time finishing it off.

I’ve compared a similar product at a similar price point, and a product where the higher priced product was inferior to a lower priced one. This is good information and tbh, stuff I wish I had before I lost money on buying/selling the D2.

I like BOSE myself at times, and I find the Lumin D2 overpriced at its price point for what it is after sampling other units. As a streamer and reliability, its great, can’t fault it, although the app looks like something from a Commodore 64, as a DAC, its not good at all, imo. Some may warranty a transferable warranty over the quality of the DAC and App, so then thats extra information for the consumer to have to decide to invest or not is good to have, and essentially what forums are for.

Yes, it is annoying, sadly AV/Hifi field is pretty much so I agree with you on that. I don’t get suckered in by it though, so it dosent matter to me who does what etc, the key is, don’t buy in to it, I know its hard though, I have been tempted myself at times thats for sure.

I am sure that they have, and I am sure myself that the internal SMPS was a very calculated marketing base choice :slight_smile:

1 Like

What is a the warranty period on lumin gear?

Two years.

What happens if the distributor changed since it was purchased I wonder as is the case here in Singapore @wklie also is warranty transferable?

I’ll ask my coworkers after holiday, but in the worst case you can still ship a unit to Lumin office directly for repair.

1 Like

I’m more interested within the 2 year warranty period on a Pre loved unit that was probably purchased from the previous dealer just in case ther are any issues.

In any case, Lumin warranty is transferable if it was purchased from an authorized dealer originally.

2 Likes

@wklie Hi, I’ve recently updated to latest firmware and in the mean time I had to switch to RCA output because I had to change my amp for a brief period… I noticed a strong step back in particular about dynamics and high frequencies which now sound muffled…

In order to check if it is due to the amp I’ve grouped D2 together with my Chord Mojo+Poly and I’m currently making an A/B testing.

Well… Levels are different (Mojo set to fixed output sounds louder) but there is a huge step between the two. I did some comparisons years ago and Chord now sounds far better, this didn’t happen before…

Even the amp’s integrated dac sounds sharper… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Could this issue be related to the new firmware? I’m running 12.0

I suspect this might reflect the change to RCA output - in my testing on the same amp, volume matched, I certainly found that balanced output was preferable. FWIW I didn’t notice any change to the sound with the move to 12.0. You might want to post your signal path just to confirm that nothing odd is going on.

1 Like