Lumin D2... Could it be a perceivable upgrade in sound quality?

Congrats! It’s a phenomenal piece of kit and worth every cent.

3 Likes

This interests me… and I’d welcome the thoughts of others in this thread.

I’m currently Home-Demoing a D2 as a replacement for my Matrix Element I.

Now they’re not vastly different class levels in DAC land but the Lumin felt like a worthwhile step up in terms of build and feature set for me. Whilst looking nicer.

My thoughts here are copied from another thread:

So a few questions here really. For those that have had either of the other options (power supply, or upgrade to T2) can you talk to me about how that went for you.

Does a new PSU in the D2 wake it up a bit? Did you feel it brought any tangible improvements in bass weight, impact and speed. How about soundstage?

To those that went T2, did you feel you kept the glorious smooth midband and sense of ease that the D2 had, but gained any of what I feel is missing?

It’s this that makes me wonder about just taking the plunge on the D2 and tweaking it. In factory form, it’s not quite doing it for me. But I also don’t want to invalidate the warranty on a brand new streamer. T2 is tempting, but would require some serious financial magic to achieve at the moment.

While I can’t say whether you’ll like the change from the D to T series (everybody has different tastes), every time I’ve moved up the Lumin line, it’s been worth the upgrade. I’ve gone from D2 to T2 to X1 and haven’t regretted it…only wish I started with the X1 to begin with (would have saved the time and money of upgrading.) :slight_smile:

As far as messing with the factory configs…others may disagree, but I’ve often found that we hear what we want to hear. There’s nothing wrong with the stock builds, and I for one would rather just put the money into the next unit up the chain rather than messing with trying to make the one below sound better with tweaks and hacks.

2 Likes

I guess my concern is that the T2 is a completely different architecture from the D2… so the sound may not just be “better” but may also be “different”.

I’m not looking for a huge amount of different, just more of the same.

In an ideal world, i’d like the smoothness and warmth of the Lumin, with the impact and depth of my matrix. But if i had to choose, I’d keep my matrix at the moment. The lumin is just a bit too soft and shy in the bass.

I’d say that they are definitely in the same family, but I found the T2 was “brighter” than the D2.

@David_Crosbie1 - I should probably note that my comments on the other thread you linked to refer to my D2 with SBooster and Power of 2 upsampling in Roon. I would suggest at least playing with the upsampling whilst you have the unit.

2 Likes

I did try upsample to dsd64 and didn’t feel it brought what i wanted from the unit. Neither the bass heft or imaging depth were present.

FWIW my preference has generally been for PCM over DSD with this unit…obviously this is very subjective (and I know contrary to some others’ findings)!

1 Like

Can you send me your roon settings for the D2? And I’ll give it a whirl

Sure…

2 Likes

Where do I find that screen? All I see is

It’s in the DSP settings but I think you might need a tablet or desktop to see the full options.

2 Likes

Very reassured by this…also in NZ with a D2

1 Like