Lumin Firmware 15.3 improves Spotify

After weeks of re-examining the Spotify Connect SDK and its interfacing with our architecture, I’ve been able to find several areas for sound quality improvement for Spotify Connect.

This work is now released in Firmware 15.3, and will be gradually released to the whole Lumin lineup.

For Spotify, I believe that we surpass those competitors that only did a standard integration.

I encourage users to create a Spotify Free account and try it out. You may be able to discover new music to your liking with it. Note that only streamers with certified and authentic Spotify SDK can play Spotify Free - those competitors using the open source reverse engineered library cannot.

8 Likes

A word of caution for those who connect their Lumin devices directly to a power amp: when I updated to firmware 15.3 the volume control reverted to 100 percent. If memory serves me, other firmware updates kept my original configuration (80 percent volume setting).

1 Like

This did not occur to my test units, but if anybody else experience it, please let me know. Thanks for the caution.

2 Likes

Peter, I think the firmware notes indicated that the Lumin app (iOS, Android) needs to be updated for the new firmware to be active. Correct?

The app update is needed only if you want to enable Spotify Audio Normalization - I believe most audiophiles leave that disabled.

3 Likes

Ah, good to know. I had not used free Spotify for a few years and was pleasantly surprised at how good it now sounds via Lumin. Well done!

2 Likes

Hi Peter, what is this function for? Now Spoty plays magically, almost on the level of Tidal and Qobuz, especially on Spoty’s premium account.
Great job, thank you :+1:

3 Likes

Same as volume leveling does on Roon. All services off this to stop dramatic changes in volume per track.

1 Like

Yes, Audio Normalization means volume leveling. In Spotify, it adjusts all music to roughly the same volume. However, in Spotify it likely degrades SQ.

2 Likes