Lumin Luxman Roon Only Mode / Esoteric TEAC RAAT Mode

Mikael, yes, I have compared the two, and I prefer the SQ of the Lumin app to Roon-only. Importantly, I believe the efficacy of Roon-only mode vs. the Lumin app is system dependent. It’s just my feeling, as I have no empirical evidence otherwise.

2 Likes

Alright, i suppose the differences are reasonably small also, even if noticeable.
Interesting!

2 Likes

I have 2 Lumin D1’s that I can ab switch between 2 preamp inputs volume 100% group play setup and will do some listening when I get some time on headphones and speakers to see if I can better define/discerne a difference.

Might also do the same with the original SMPS power supply verses LMPS options.

5 Likes

Just try some Qobuz tracks using new mode on D1, for SQ I still prefer Lumin APP and I need Spotify Connect so I won’t stay in Roon Only Mode.

But It is great to see Lumin provide such flexibility. My personal wish list of future Firmware wiil be:

1.Can turn off analog output when using digital output.
2.Can turn off UPnP and local storage playback. (I know this is one of best part of Lumin for SQ)

I tested this to be working in my setup.

My Lumin app Idle Sleep setting was originally 15 minutes. After entering Roon Only mode, I played the last track in Roon queue, and let it end with Roon Radio turned off and Roon auto-standby set to Never. After a period of time with no activity the Lumin front panel is turned off.

If this is not exactly the same as your steps, please let me know.

Please try the Roon auto-standby setting anyway.

Same experience here with my X1

Hi @wklie,

I went back to standard mode, set it up same as yours then reverted to Roon Only mode.

Now standby is working just fine !

Great thanks for your support !

1 Like

Checked on different U1mini in different systems. The “Roon only” sound is wonderful and the general purity and depth of low-frequency and punch and rhythm and sparkleness on high-frequency and the overall fusion of the musical canvas - is very pleasing, although everything was ok before, but here it’s just like a balm for the soul.
:loud_sound: :notes:
Exiting the mode would not be done through a hard reset, it would be super.
:+1:

5 Likes

I have this turned on. I think. I have the display off but if I cannot go into options in the Lumin app I can consider me have activated Roon Only mode, right?

If Roon works but Lumin app does not, then yes.

1 Like

Many thanks to Lumin for this free upgrade. I hear a clear improvement in transparency via my U1 mini. Roon Only is a keeper!

3 Likes

Just a quick note on a weird occurrence. Had been listening for about 2 hours to tracks from my local library when the music suddenly stopped. According to Roon there was no playback device - the T2 had simply disappeared. I figured it was a Roon thing, but the T2 would not respond to my remote either. I have the display blanked, but if I use the physical remote to change volume or other commands the display normally comes back on briefly. However, no response. So I toggled the T2 power off then back on and all is well.

After nearly two years of daily listening this has never happened before. Roon has had its glitches, but the Lumin has always been rock solid.

Just thought it was worth mentioning as the only thing that has changed is that I switched to the new Roon-Only mode a week or so ago.

Cheers,
Robert

I have a P1 here on demo/approval and have noticed it’s “disappeared” when “toggled off” from roon.
Currently it’s visible but unpredictable, I think it’s common with other roon build feedback.

I toggled nothing off. The Lumin T2 became unresponsive to its own remote and Roon was no longer able to see it.

Cheers,
Robert

I tried the Roon Only mode on my U1 Mini. First thing I noticed was more definition in the bass. Further listening with multiple albums revealed a general increase in clarity, along with less grain and a reduction in the noise floor. Many thanks to Lumin for offering this option - it’s a keeper!

3 Likes

I use a Lumin P1 as my streamer/Dac with a Nagra integrated. If I switch the P1 to Roon only mode, do I lose all the functions like HDMI to the TV, ability to connect my my CD player,blue ray player, media player to the P1?

All non-network inputs should continue to function. You’d need to use the physical remote to change input for the P1.

1 Like

Thanks Peter, good to know before I give it a try.

Interested to hear if there are more comments on this mode. Are you still in Roon only mode or ju got back to original settings?

1 Like

I’m sticking with the roon only mode on my Lumin D1 w/SBooster. Seems to be a subtle improvement in soundstage, blacker background, better definition in bass (most noticable), mids, and treble. I only use the D1 with Roon so I have no use for the Lumin app anyway.

I typically stream Qobuz through Roon with no DSP, but I noticed when playing with DSP in Roon (DSD 5th order CLANS) the music sounds less organic, the soundstage narrows a bit and the treble is slightly harsh/dead. In Roon only mode, the DSP is a noticably less crummy, but I’ll continue to listen without DSP.

This is just what’s working with my system. YMMV
Cheers and happy listening!

6 Likes