Lumin Luxman Roon Only Mode / Esoteric TEAC RAAT Mode

I’ve done a little optimization a year ago, released in Firmware 14.

2 Likes

I see. The latest LUMIN models have a new processor, so there might be some more optimization potential. I don’t know what chip architecture they are based on but I guess the new generation has some nice advantages to exploit.

Has someone compared / experience of SQ difference when streaming files from QOBUZ via the LUMIN app vs. streaming the QOBUZ files vis ROON (app) ?

Yes, I’ve done both. Just tune-in to Roon and enjoy all that it offers.

2 Likes

I have an Lumin T2. I upgraded to the latest firmware and don’t see the Roon only option. I assume you need more recent hardware?

Scroll up to the first post for instructions on how to setup Roon Only mode. :+1:t4:

3 Likes

What is the difference (benefit) of Roon Only Mode vs. just turning off the unused services on the settings page?

1 Like

There are even more services turned off (some you don’t have access via the app) - so gaining more free memory, less CPU, … in total less interference / noise.

1 Like

There is no way to turn off the native OpenHome / UPnP via the Lumin app settings page. By removing this service Lumin app can no longer talk to or control Lumin hardware.

2 Likes

@wklie Which models currently will benefit from roononlymode ?

All models running Firmware 15.x support this mode. Whether this is beneficial to SQ is up to users to decide for themselves.

3 Likes

It was definitely beneficial for me on my D2. :+1:

2 Likes

@wklie Maybe you could evaluate internally about the possibilities of compiler settings for the models with new processor generation.

And forgot to mention: the #ROONONLY mode did make a noticeable difference on my setup.

1 Like

Today’s update for Esoteric N-01XD / N-05XD / N-03T and TEAC UD-701N add support for (Roon Only) RAAT Mode. To use this you will have to upgrade both the Network firmware using Esoteric Sound Stream app or Lumin app (hereafter native apps), and update the Esoteric / TEAC I/F firmware.

The enabling / disabling of RAAT Mode is done using the front panel buttons on these Esoteric / TEAC models. After enabling RAAT mode, the native apps / Tidal Connect / Spotify Connect / AirPlay can no longer used.

3 Likes

Esoteric N-01XD firmware 3.00a has been updated. How can I activate the Roon Only mode on the Esoteric N-01XD panel?

This is copied from Esoteric N-01XD manual page 19: (the following does NOT apply to Lumin branded products)

Showing firmware versions

F/W ver.
Press the > setting adjustment button when “F/W ver.” is shown to check the versions of other firmware.

I/F ****
I/F firmware
NET ****
Network firmware
M *****
MQA/USB firmware
DIG ****
Digital FPGA firmware
DAC L** R**
DAC FPGA firmware

RAAT mode
o This function is supported from interface firmware v3.00 and NET firmware 150.

RAAT mode, which functions only with RAAT (Roon Advanced Audio Transport), can be selected.

In order to maximize music playback performance using Roon, RAAT mode stops other services that are supported in normal mode, including OpenHome, Spotify Connect and Tidal Connect. Operation
is possible only from the Roon control app.

Making RAAT mode settings
1 Select Showing firmware versions (F/W ver.) in Settings 2, and show NET.
2 Press and hold the > setting adjustment button on the unit.
NETM > RAAT will blink.
3 Press and hold the > setting adjustment button on the unit again.

This selects RAAT mode and automatically restarts the unit’s network player program. After restarting, music playback will only be possible with Roon.

o When operating in RAAT mode, RAAT will appear on the unit’s display.
o When in RAAT mode, this unit will not be recognized by OpenHome control apps, including ESOTERIC Sound Stream, or Spotify or Tidal apps.

Switching back to normal mode from RAAT mode
1 Select Showing firmware versions (F/W ver.) in Settings 2, and show NET.
2 Press and hold the > setting adjustment button on the unit.
NETM > NORM will blink.
3 Press and hold the > setting adjustment button on the unit again.

This disables RAAT mode, reactivates normal mode and automatically restarts the unit’s network player program. After restarting, OpenHome and other services will be usable.

5 Likes

Thanks Peter, pleased to see this feature make it to my n-03t. I upgraded my device and enabled RAAT mode per the (very clear) instructions. No issues, it works flawlessly.

2 Likes

Thanks
微信图片_20221121013932

2 Likes

@wklie any update on that?

That was already done before release.

1 Like