Lumin T2 Roon Settings

Thanks Peter, this is another option for consideration!

FYI. According to Sonore microRendu - Page 56 - Sonore (Sponsored) - Audiophile Style

Blue Jeans Cable said CAT 6 is better than CAT 6A because:

It’s a bit complicated- basically 6A has to meet certain requirements unrelated to signal transfer that don’t really apply to anyone other than large data centers, and those requirements lead to changes that have a negative impact on signal transfer. So a good CAT6 will actually pass higher frequencies then equivalent 6A, but cannot be named as such.

-Jeff (BJC)

About the metal termination, I suggest not to have metal there otherwise it may incur a ground loop.

1 Like

Although 2.4 has much wider reach. I have Synology router which auto-senses for the best connection.

2.4GHz is prone to interference from neighbors and possibly by microwave oven. In my geographic location, it is not uncommon to see twenty to thirty access points on my smartphone. And you only have 3 non-overlapping channels in 2.4GHz, so it is always interfered by somebody (perhaps unless you live in a farm).

Do not trust the device to choose a best connection (and I believe it’s done by the client, not the WiFi router). It usually makes the wrong decision by simply looking at the signal strength and ignoring the fact that 5GHz performs a lot better when in range.

Will this work?
https://www.amazon.sg/Ethernet-Network-Transmission-Laptop-Office-White/dp/B0841Z29R9/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=cat6+ethernet+cable+15+meter&qid=1597207934&sr=8-5

Yes, I think.

1 Like

I would have thought so. This is what I bought:

Which we do :sunglasses:. Downside is internet over the cell phone network :grimacing:.

1 Like

Hi @Rockhound - Quick question if I may? I am planning to move my audio gears to a dedicated room. Initially the Lumin T2 would be sitting in this new room whereas the Nucleus would be located in another room. Would you get these 2 devices together in the same room on a rack (this would mean getting 2 Ethernet cables concealed and connected to the router instead of 1) or just the Lumin? Thanks!

Roon Labs recommend users to have the Roon Core being far away from the audio gear, to minimize EMI RFI that may be emitting from the computer.

This assumes your network infrastructure support such a placement, and that you are not using some dual voltage LPS output that you use one to power the Nucleus and the other to power the network switch (or router).

Basically what @wklie said. Keep the core and endpoints apart if at all possible.

@wklie guys, appreciate the guidance.
It’ll just sit upright next to the router!

Hmmm. I suspect that’s not good for heat dissipation. Those heat sink fins should face upwards, i.e. the rear ports should face the wall.

Noted thanks Peter!

On second thought, the heat still gets dissipated side ways and not upwards… I’ll monitor for a couple of days and if the Nucleus does get too warm I’ll change it back, sounds like a plan?

Thanks Peter, we have a wide range of internet providers who offer 2Gbps internet so right now I’ve a dedicated 1Gbps feed from modem to router and the other 1Gbps to the Lumin. I need to check with my current provider if I can switch to client mode.
Question: my Netgear router is wifi 6 ready, is the Lumin wifi 6 enabled too? With regards to SSID, only one is created, the router automatically switches to the appropriate band based on the proximity of your device.

Can you share any specific brand or model? Thanks

“WiFi Client mode” is a function of some WiFi routers. It is not related to your internet provider unless you’re forced to use the WiFi router provided by the provider and not replaceable.

Lumin hardware does not support WiFi.

That’s not good, in my humble opinion.

I do not trust the client device to switch properly. In fact I expect them to choose wrongly by simply looking at signal strength, which is indeed related to proximity. And therefore it may be wrong.

1 Like