Lumin U1 vs U2 difference

Hello,

Great to see new digital transport with updated architecture, dedicated USB for DAC with Lumin U2. However, one is surprised at least from two angles

1. U2 is cheape to U1. Significantly. Is that due to one non-solid chassis?
  2. If you notice, U2 is lighter (even with PSU inside) to U1 (unit alone).
  3. optional point, U1X states on No#1 on Lumin pages. Does U1X remains as a flagship, or U1X will retire and be replaced by U2?

I am quite not sure how to read U2 possitioning vs U1.

Regards,

P.

Thank you.

Iā€™m not sure which models youā€™re referring to, the U1 verses U1 mini or the U1 Mini verses the U2 Miniā€¦?

You can compare them on the Lumin Website.

I did not mention ā€˜miniā€™ versions. I meant regular U1 and reguar U2.

The Lumin site compares them technically. Which opens even more question, to start with (as mentioned in my questions) - is U2 replacement for U1? Is U2 placed below U1 - long term, and U1 will have a new version as such? what explains significant price difference?

1 Like

In this video (up from min 8:49), Angus Leung, the global sales and marketing manager of Lumin, states that U1x is still the flagship and also the best in terms of sound.

4 Likes

When I checked a few hours ago the U2 wasnā€™t listed on the Lumin website products page, hence my comments, having rechecked itā€™s there now. :roll_eyes:

Itā€™s caused by browser cache.

1 Like

Very clear. That is what I was looking for. I did not notice this particular video.

That means I will keep Lumin U1.

1 Like

I could not be happier with my U2. It filled a great nichƩ for me. A high quality streamer with an SFP cage. I also seem to be the only person who has bought one :rofl:

5 Likes

U2 is beig shipped, it is new to market. So, you will be one of the first and lucky ones. Congratulations. And Enjoy music

1 Like

In the same way that U2 Mini is an improvement over U1 Mini, U2 is an improvement over U1, plus supporting SFP fiber network.

1 Like

Thank you Peter, if U1 is over U2 - then I do not undestand the positioning by Angus. He shows and talks about U2 mini < U2 < U1X (meaning U1 with X1 power supply). Angus clearly says ā€œU1X remains the flagship as Luminā€™s digital transport, best soundingā€. I do understand U2 - USB direct coupling (new ARM processor and architecture) and SFP port (I do not have option for it anyway) - however, how can we understand the product positioning? U2 is better, cheaper - but if you want the best from Lumin, go for a way more expensive product U1X ā€¦ and btw, U1X is just overpaid not better to U2. I find the positioning confusing. It sounds like U1X is higher to U2, just because of its price.

If you donā€™t already have the X1 power supply upgrade, I recommend upgrading to U2.

3 Likes

The attributes that promote the U1X as a network music transport flagship are:
ā€” CNC Solid Billet Aluminium
ā€” Solid billet CNC external linear dual-toroidal power supply

Otherwise, the U2 is actually better in other areas, as it adds:
ā€” Optical/Fiber Network
ā€” DSD256
ā€” 3 USB connections, including one that is direct-coupled
ā€” Latest processor for added features in the future

The U1X perhaps has marginally better SQ due to its more robust external power supply and solid chassis but the U2 is very, very close, as it upgrades from the U2 Mini with the new internal linear toroidal power supply and CNC aluminum. Plus, it has Luminā€™s newest tech in other areas. For me, the choice would be easy.

1 Like

thank you Peter and Michael.

For current U1 (with X1 PSU) user the upgrade to U2 would make sense to take the advantage of new architecture (SFP and USB direct coupling), Otherwise, upgrading from U1X to U2 financially does not make sense. If U2 is a hair close to U1X, I would wait if something would be marginally different and keep U1 (with X1 PSU).

Otherwise, upgrade from U2 mini to U2 makes more sense, or moving directly to the transaport, U2 would be a sweet spot

1 Like

You could always install a fiber media converter and a short run of fiber into a U2. That alone will make a very audible difference - at keast it did in my setup. In fact, it was so transformative that I just had to change my enire LAN to fiber a couple years ago.

2 Likes

The fiber connection via my X1 made a profound difference.

4 Likes

To be honest, I was expecting the U2 to be a much better device than the U1x without arguing.

Anyways, Iā€™m currently using the U1 mini with the Sbooster and Iā€™m very happy with the overall problem-free device.

I am looking for a new streamer just to achieve a better sound quality.

I have Aqua La Scala MK2 dac and SOtM sNH-10G switch.

And what Iā€™m wondering is whether buying U2 and making fiber optic connection with SOtM or buying Aqua Linq and making an i2s connection with Aqua dac would bring more in terms of sound quality?

As the two devices are priced similarly, you have a tough decision. On the one hand, staying within one ecosystem sometimes pays advantages. On the other hand, besides the U2 LAN fiber connection, all Lumin devices feature Leedh Processing, which obviates the need for a preamp, so you could go directly into your amplifier. In a perfect world, you could hear both at a dealer.

1 Like

Did you end up using the Fiber to connect to your network? If you did, do you mind sharing which switch you used?

Yes, I converted my LAN to fiber over 2.5 years ago. I wanted an audio streamer with a fiber optic input.
The switch just before my U2 was pretty inexpensiveā€¦

Binardat 10 Port Gigabit SFP Switch, 8 Gigabit SFP, 2 Gigabit Ethernet, Desktop & Wallmount, Unmanaged Fiber Ethernet Switch Amazon.com

I went with this switch so I could utilize a 1G port for audio. My other switches are Mikrotik CRS309s (10G).

1 Like