Lumin U2 mini released

Thanks for your fast reply @wklie

I’m also in touch with T+A to understand their side. Apparently, depending on the USB receiver, there might be more limitations. Please let me sort that out too. My firmware is always up to date :slight_smile:
I haven’t connected a PC to my stereo yet, I’ll plugin my laptop from work to find the values you need.
**Question from T+A: ** which linux kernel is used inside the Lumin? (assuming it’s linux based)

I’ve indeed read about the Lumin app that can be used to browse files / albums. Connecting the USB drive to my ROCK (Intel NUC) will not help as the ROCK is in the basement and I would still need to transport the data. Roon is downsampling it along the way.

Hi @wklie , the values you requested:

• VID : 0x2AB6
  • PID : 0x0018

I confirm this T+A USB VID PID is recognized by Lumin as native DSD. I expect them to work, but I do not recall receiving a user confirmation of the same model.

@wklie How much power consumption is there when the device is in standby (display gets turned off) ?

Typically less than 20W if not connected to any USB device.

As it’s in standby most of the day like many users have and the energy situation is an increasing concern worldwide, is there any chance to reduce that with an upcoming firmware update?

Well if it’s a bit more than 1 Watt that still be fine and a considerable improvement over the currently 20 watts. I don‘t know how the iFi ZEN stream is doing but would be great if you could just evaluate possibilities for LUMIN as energy consumption / costs is an increasingly important topic to customers around the world.
Maybe @brian has some technical guidelines regarding ROON ready possibilities.

have the U2 mini - Innuos Phoenix - meitner MA3

wanted to try dsd upsampling in Roon. trying to find out, based on the signal chain, why the Lumin is converting it back to pcm?

is it because of presence of the convolution filter? or some other reason?

In Lumin app, please turn off volume control setting for sending DSD to a digital output.

3 Likes

Good evening everyone.
Would adding Topping U90 USB bridge between Lumin U2 mini and PC do more harm? or would it be beneficial?

1. Topping U90 uses a femtosecond crystal oscillator and CPLD to process the clock and optimise the digital signal, achieving incredible jitter suppression.
  2. Topping U90 has built-in USB isolation can effectively eliminate the noise introduced by the ground loop.
    I believe Lumin U2 mini does not have the features above (based on what I read on Lumin official website, I may be wrong though, sorry if I am).
    On the other hand, some audio mates I know told me that I shouldn’t add the USB bridge in between as adding more conversion does more harm than good.
    Can @wklie and others please share your opinion regarding this here?
    Thank you so much and happy new year.

I don’t see how it can go between the U2 Mini and the PC.

I assume you meant U2 Mini USB output → U90 DDC I2S output → DAC.

Occasionally a few users use a DDC between Lumin USB output and their DAC I2S input, because Lumin does not offer I2S output.

Whether it sounds better or worse is DAC dependent, and is up to you to decide.

You must check for I2S compatibility between the DDC I2S output and your DAC I2S input before making a purchase. Getting this wrong will cause DSD noise, left-right channel swap, and all sorts of problems.

Happy New Year!

2 Likes

Good evening Wklie,
oh yes, I meant Lumin U2 mini → (USB connection) Topping U90 → DAC (coaxial, AES/EBU etc).
Sorry haha.
I see, I guess I will try the option above :frowning:
oh none of my DACs have i2s input. I was planning to use coaxial and AES/EBU cables.
Thank you, happy new year as well!

Those outputs exist on the U2 mini. The DDC shouldn’t make a significant difference on something as well engineered as the Lumin.

2 Likes

My opinion Lumin does not need any interface converters. All its outputs sound great, and USB has one of the best sounds and features in my opinion. :+1: :musical_score:

1 Like

**[quote=“PixelPopper, post:74, topic:199462, full:true”]
Hi Peter @wklie I have minor issue with my new U2 mini, I normally power the U2 off via the Roon volume control tab but when attempting to turn it back on the Blue static circle appears but progresses no further, i then need to switch off/on at the rear power switch to get the U2 to “boot up.”
This happens every time, I haven’t performed a factory reset yet but is that the best next option?
thanks in anticipation.
paul
[/quote]
I have the same problem with my Lumin U1 mini
and usb connected to my Kii three-control.
I had contact with Peter @wklie, the problem
is never fixed.
I bought a HiFi Rose RS 250 which has the same problem. It was fixed in the settings: Turn the Usb/ssd power activation in standby to ‘on’.

Ton

Hi Ton,

Peter recommended letting the U2 “drop back” into standby rather than powering the device off. That is what I have done since without further issues, it’s not the ideal solution in my opinion but it works.
I had assumed that at some stage there would be a fix to overcome the problem but I’m guessing that a fix is low priority in this case.

Cheers,

Paul

1 Like

@brian Can you outline what is possible within the ROON Ready requirements? As energy prices are a concern worldwide this is an important topic for many.

@wklie Networks Acoustics has released their new Muon Pro series, which takes advantage especially for streamers that are designed for 1Gb/s Ethernet. What bandwidth is the U2 Mini implementation capable of?

Most Lumin models support 1000Mbps Ethernet, except S1 A1 T1 D1 were 100Mbps.

2 Likes

@wklie When listening in the dark I realized that the network leds didn’t work - normally showcasing traffic etc. while playing music. Is this a software setting?