Lumin U2 mini released

I have some questions about Lumin U2 mini could you please help me with the questions? (this may be irrelevant to the original post, so if this bothers you I apologise…) Thank you.

I am thinking of buying the Lumin U2 mini blindly as my audio friends have been telling me that streamer should improve sound quality, however, I don’t still quite understand how this can happen for reasons below

1. I do not use any streaming app or services, I play purchased music from local library (a desktop).
  2. I do not have multiple setups, I only have one headphone setup (DAC, CD player, two headphone amps and Stax energizer near my computer and desk), therfore I leave computer on to multi task while listening to music with headphones anyway.
  3. Computer transfer files properly via USB cable to my DAC then to amp and music plays from a software called Audirvana from my computer (no jitter no other noise issues)

Therefore my understanding is, when I add Lumin U2 mini, it will just do what my computer does via network & external SSD. Transferring files to DAC.

Could you please help me understand how using Lumin U2 mini will improve sound quality in this specific case when compared to using a PC?

I am not planning to purchase subscription for Tidal nor Roon as I don’t find them useful as I don’t stream (I listen to songs that I like, I only have about 1200 songs and that’s all I need).

Thank you so much for your support and time!

If you are not going to subscribe to a streaming service not much point in having a streamer.
for me Tidal and Roon gives me a a better sound than computer and Audirvana

1 Like

Hi To123123
I notice that you don’t mention Roon in your post. Note that this a Roon-specific forum so you might get a better breadth of answers on a more general hi-fi forum. AudiophileStyle might be a good one as that used to be mainly focussed on using computers as sources (used to be called Computer Audiophile).

Don’t by any means think that commercial streaming services are needed to get the most from a LUMIN unit. When LUMIN A1 first launched in 2012 it was primarily focussed on getting the absolute best from locally stored PCM and DSD files in the same way you describe your setup. (it was in fact the world’s first standalone DSD player).
That’s still how many many users enjoy LUMIN now.

Qobuz/TIDAL/Spotify Connect all came later and obviously brought a great deal of choice in how to stream music.

For critical listening (when trying to compare devices for example) I will still always revert to the locally stored music on my NAS as it’s a known quantity and the sources were of reference quality (usually SACD or fantastically mastered CD). But obviously for discovering new music, the other methods are very useful (and why many people enjoy Roon).

I thought I remembered some reviews of U1 Mini that focussed purely on the comparison with PC playback, but I’m struggling to find them now. It was probably a different model (D2 perhaps), so I’ll keep digging to see if I can find it for you.

Meanwhile, there are many reviews of U1 Mini to dig through if you’re curious - most comments will still be relevant to U2 Mini:
https://www.luminmusic.com/reviews-u1-mini.html

2 Likes

In the first week of July 2022, there will be a firmware upgrade for U2 Mini to fix a USB low volume issue from some particular (not all) USB DAC.

If you’re using USB output from U2 Mini, please beware that there is a small chance that after doing the firmware upgrade, the DAC output volume will be increased even without changing the Lumin volume or volume control enable/disable setting.

This issue does not affect U1 / U1 Mini or any other Lumin model. They will not receive the same firmware upgrade.

1 Like

U2Mini on trial Burning in before the critical listening & purchase decision. Working well through Roon, it was identified immediately, a couple of quick app changes & music! It’s been burning in for around 60 hours, so we’re ready to go.

One thing i haven’t figured out is how, when in Lumin only mode, to specify the drive containing my music library?

1 Like

Very sexy bit of kit.
I thought it was Roon Only mode, and then everything else is disabled until you factory reset .

Have fun with it and you won’t hear me beeping the horn as I drive past you.

1 Like

I haven’t done the firmware change to Roon only mode, I’ll consider doing it though once I’ve familiarised myself with the “standard” SQ.

1 Like

Have a safe journey & savour the hour that you drive through Devonshire. :grin:

1 Like

You need a UPnP server for LUMIN to be able to see your music without Roon.
MinimServer is the LUMIN-recommended option

1 Like

thanks for the “heads up” will load a copy, it’s only for an alternative should Roon be playing up so i’ll install a copy sometime. :+1:t4:

If not using Roon, please install MinimServer, and set MinimServer content directory to be your music directory. In Lumin app, choose Library as MinimServer.

Please disable services you don’t need such as e.g. Spotify Connect, AirPlay “Lumin Streaming”, Tidal Connect.

I think you meant 3 hours… :scream: :roll_eyes:

Does a streamer such as this make any/much difference streaming from Tidal and Qobuz versus just a Nucleus and RPi4 running RoPieee? What about the “bits are bits” argument?

I’m not sure about the ‘bits are bits’ argument Jim. But I dunno?

I’ve had two sort-of ‘epiphanies’ recently. Both of which sort-of prove that the ‘bits are bits’ stance is flawed.

The first was the upgrade from Katalyst DAC to the Organik DAC for my Linn KDS. The difference is like ‘night and day’. But why should that be, if ‘bits are bits’?

The second was the addition of an external Esoteric G-02 master clock to feed my K-01 BH. Again, it’s like I’m listening to my SACD collection for the very first time. But why should that be, if ‘bits are bits’?

I dunno Jim? I think there’s more to this digital audio malarkey than we were led to believe…

4 Likes

Maybe, I need to see for myself…someday.

1 Like

Thanks Peter, Roon is my main use but I’ll setup “minim” as a backup system. :pray:t4:

Any delays getting across Devonshire are, I’m afraid, due to tourists :joy:

1 Like

Installed mine last week having also listened to a P1 and it really is fantastic value for money. For me its a huge step up from the streamer inside my PS Audio direct stream DAC. Highly recommended if any of you are looking out for a new streamer.

7 Likes

I also listened to P1 and am currently listening to the U2 mini which offers exactly what I need.
Not needing a DAC the U2 was potentially a downgrade but in practice, initial impressions confirm that SQ has been maintained & possibly a slight extension in lower bass.
I still have some listening to do but it’s looking like a buy. :blush:

1 Like

Does the U2 support multi channel via Roon on USB?