Lumin U2 mini released

Your observations mirror mine almost perfectly. I really liked the P1 but my feeling was having already invested in a DAC I liked the U2 so much that the cheaper unit was my best option. I would also conform that SQ is not a downgrade in my particular system.

3 Likes

No, all Lumins are only stereo. Asked this Peter a while ago.

No. Lumin products only support stereo.

Like many I am trying to weigh the benefits of getting a U2 vs the U1. Until the reviews in terms of sonic differences come back I am trying to see what the benefits would be. Does anyone know if the U1 also has the Leedh Processing volume control?

How was P1 vs U2 + PS Audio DS?

Yes, sure.

In Polish:

1 Like

Thanks Peter

The U2 is the replacement for the U1, I was looking around a lot of places online and the majority of online shops have sold out of the U1 and are waiting for stocks of the U2 (the U2 I’m currently auditioning took two months to arrive). this is all in the U.K. the situation may be different in your location.

1 Like

The P1 is brilliant but my preference was U2+PS Audio but of course this is purely personal. If any one doesn’t already have any equipment then the P1 makes so much sense as its superb.

2 Likes

I have to agree although had there been a version offering the P1 “pre-amp” functionality without the DAC it would have been high on my list to audition.

Hi Peter @wklie I have minor issue with my new U2 mini, I normally power the U2 off via the Roon volume control tab but when attempting to turn it back on the Blue static circle appears but progresses no further, i then need to switch off/on at the rear power switch to get the U2 to “boot up.”
This happens every time, I haven’t performed a factory reset yet but is that the best next option?

thanks in anticipation.

paul

Please do this experiment: connect to the DAC using coax or other input instead of USB. See if the same problem appears.

Even if bits are bits, bits end at the edge of analog. If you look into the signal processing foundations of the Organik DAC (https://ewh.ieee.org/r5/dallas/sscs/slides/SMU_IEEE_seminar_10142013.pdf slides 15-32 but ignore CMOS/chip layout discussion) you’ll see that the key features of the design are where bits turn into variable-width pulses and analog filter cascades. That’s the big difference from Katalyst, which depended on AKM’s delta-sigma converter even though most of the upstream digital processing was Linn’s.

3 Likes

Hi Peter, thanks for your reply.

This morning I enabled optical out, prior to connecting a cable and since then the on/off control from Roon appears to be working correctly after a few tests without a physical connection. There is a quirky issue when switching on in that the “default” displayed track is from a disabled library location, this does correct itself when playback commences.

I will monitor the situation and report back.

If the wakeup issue only happens with USB, it looks like the USB DAC is not waking up / handshaking fast enough. I’ll try to do something about it.

Hi Peter, I have now spent a short while checking and can confirm the problem only occurs on USB, all is working fine with toslink.

My setup “lumin - chord mscaler - chord dave”

A test firmware is sent to you via PM.

6 Likes

Thanks, I will load tomorrow :+1:t4:

Way to go Peter…can you imagine Apple giving this level of service?

You are truly a credit to Lumin and the industry as a whole!

6 Likes

Peter’s an absolute star, and he has built immense trust and respect for the Lumin brand.

7 Likes